2007 JAM DVD

Posted by: Fran D

2007 JAM DVD - 08/20/07 12:32 PM

I have completed the editing of the 6 hours of video that Ed Marill taped for us. I mailed 70% of the copies and will finish the others and mail tomorrow. If your copy is damaged in the mail, let me know and I will send another. They take a bit of time to copy as they are nearly 5GB.

Nigel I lost your address in my recent move. If you send me your address I will forward a copy that you asked for.

Fran in SC
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/20/07 01:56 PM

Fran
We all owe you big time for this. I am sure it was very time consuming.

Thank you
Bernie
Posted by: Ted Rose

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/20/07 08:36 PM

Fran:

What is included on the DVD? Is there any chance that those of us who were not able to attend the jam can purchase a copy and relive those magic moments in retrospect?
Posted by: bruno123

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/21/07 02:23 AM

Fran,
You can not help in giving your all, the job you volunteered for had to take a great deal of time and effort.
Sooooooo, in appreciation when we come together at the 2008 Jam, Phyllis and I get to take you out to dinner and you pay, whoops no error, no, you will be our guests.
(If I don’t keep putting a little humor in what I do I tend to get too serious – life is good, even more so when you add music)

It will be great together again, John C.
Posted by: Harry B

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/23/07 11:59 AM

Fran,
The jam cd-rom arrived yesterday. Thank you & Ed Merril so much. We really appreciate the time, effort & money you put into it. Claire & I will treasure it always.
..Looking forward to the 2008 jam and seeing you & Marg and the rest of the gang........ Thank you again.
Harry B
Posted by: RMepstead

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/24/07 09:42 AM

Ditto Harry B and many thanks for sending it across the pond for me...
Don't know why Bernie should be top of the Bill...chuckle...
Rog
Posted by: Bill Norrie

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/25/07 05:15 AM

Great Job Fran - Sincere thanks for the huge amount of time you must have spent on the project.

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/26/07 03:14 AM

Rog,

Bernies bribe was the best.

Fran in SC
Posted by: Triple T

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/26/07 04:12 AM

Fran:
Fortissimo applause at a minimum for time, effort and job well done on the DVD. Thanks.
Tim
Posted by: Nigel

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/26/07 05:19 PM

Thanks so much Fran. My DVD arrived yesterday. I am going to try to convert some of the clips to AVI files so I can post them on Synth Zone here soon so everyone can take a look at them.
Posted by: Mary in Tucson

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/26/07 05:34 PM

Fran,

Watched the DVD this afternoon and enjoyed it very much. Brought back such good memories. Great job!!

Thanks,
Mary

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/27/07 04:59 AM

I think that would be great,Nigel.
Thank you.
Bernie

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/27/07 05:10 PM

I have put a few short clips up from the DVD for anyone that hasn't seen it. Each week I will replace them with the next from the DVD.
http://www.synthzone.com/TechnicsJam2007.htm

Because the clips are quite big I can't put much more than that up at a time. But save them to your computer if you want to keep a copy. They take some time to download even with a good Internet connection. The only software I can find to cut up the video into clips I can upload doesn't give me much control over where the movie gets cut up. I'll look for software that does let me control where it gets cut but for now I'll just put them up the best I can.

Anyway the first 2 are the opening credits with Bernie opening the show followed by Bernie finishing off the same opening number.

Video and sound quality is pretty good.

After watching the DVD I feel like I was there myself. Awesome job everyone !!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 08-27-2007).]
Posted by: Retired

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/28/07 08:19 AM

Hi Nigel,
Thank you for putting the clips, of the 2007 Jam, on the Forum.
Thank you, Fran for all your time consuming work, and thank
you Bernie, and Harry for the great music.
Looking forward to the next batch of clips.
Fred Wren.
Posted by: D.Munson

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/28/07 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
I have put a few short clips up from the DVD for anyone that hasn't seen it. Each week I will replace them with the next from the DVD.

Because the clips are quite big I can't put much more than that up at a time. But save them to your computer if you want to keep a copy. They take some time to download even with a good Internet connection. The only software I can find to cut up the video into clips I can upload doesn't give me much control over where the movie gets cut up. I'll look for software that does let me control where it gets cut but for now I'll just put them up the best I can.

Anyway the first 2 are the opening credits with Bernie opening the show followed by Bernie finishing off the same opening number.

Video and sound quality is pretty good.

After watching the DVD I feel like I was there myself. Awesome job everyone !!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 08-27-2007).]

Nigel Although the sound came through ok, there was no video
Derek
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/28/07 11:42 AM

MY THANKS TO Fran D, and Nigel as well as all the people that participated in the Technics Jamm this year.
I have forwarded the URL our to my email lists so that many more people will be able to enjoy the fine work you all did.
Many of my list members have never enjoyed a keyboard concert so it will be very educational for them to see that one person can make a song like they will hear
Maybe we will do one more Jam Session here at my place before we go back on the road again in about another year at which time we can go to the one in Florida
Thanks to all,
Bebop and email friends.
Posted by: Joan

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/28/07 02:24 PM

Hi there - I get the sound and vision in short sharp bursts. I am viewing with the latest Windows Media Player. Is this correct or should I be viewing it with a different package? Joan

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/28/07 02:45 PM

I get the one or two second bursts as it is downloading the file to the Windows media player latest version in Media Center PC. Once the file is downloaded then it goes back to the beginning and plays it through with out the short bursts. So I just put it on pause until I can see it is downloaded and then play it without any of the short burst problems. These are big 15 MG files and do take awhile to dl.
Again Fran and Nigel thanks for sharing. I am getting some real positive feedback from my email list members,
Bebop

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/28/07 03:04 PM

Joan try saving them to your computer first then play them from there. I guess I have always been saving them and then opening when they have downloaded. That should avoid the problem Bill was talking about plus you will have your own copies of the videos.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 08-28-2007).]
Posted by: Retired

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/28/07 04:14 PM

Hi Joan,
I was also getting the sound in short sharp bursts.
If you click on ‘Play’ in ‘Windows Media Player’
then click on ‘Repeat’ in the drop down menu.

On the first playing it will be short sharp bursts on the ‘Repeat’
it should run ‘Smoothly. It did for me.
I am using Windows XP.

Hope it helps
Fred Wren

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/29/07 12:43 AM

Thank you for your help and suggestions Nigel, Bebop and Fred. Its very true you learn something everyday!!! Will try all suggestions. Saving and playing back is a very good idea Nigel, as you say I will have a permanent file to keep.

Thank you all who have taken part in both the playing, photography and putting to DVD and distributing. I feel I have "met" quite a few of you in the past through this forum, but now I can "meet" some more and even put a face to you and listen to your music......Joan

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/29/07 06:38 AM

Nigel and Gang,

The DVD was made in high quality for all DVD players. I can make a Windows Media File DVD which may upload better.

Fran in SC

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/29/07 06:45 AM

I thank all that have commented on the Jam DVD but the one who deserves all the credit is Ed Merril. He video taped the entire jam. A total of 7 hours video. Without the video there would be no DVD and archive record of the 2007 Florida Keyboard Conference.

THANKS A BUNCH ED!!

Fran in SC

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/29/07 11:47 AM

thank you Ed Merril you are appreciated by this write and all my email list subscribers.
Best to all of you,
Bebop

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/29/07 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran D:
Nigel and Gang,

The DVD was made in high quality for all DVD players. I can make a Windows Media File DVD which may upload better.

Fran in SC

That's OK Fran. I can convert to either mpg or wmv. I chose mpg because Mac users could most probably view them but I think that wmv ( being a Windows media format ) is not probably supported on the Mac. It's hard to keep everyone happy. But if there are more people that cannot view them as mpg then I will change them to wmv files.
Posted by: UkTexan

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 08/30/07 01:33 AM

Thank you Fran and Ed for working hard and providing an insight into the 2007 Florida convention. I play at home and it was lovely to watch other players perform on their KN7000 and other keyboards. I find it difficult to play in public (too nervous and my palms get sweaty) so I appreciate what goes into other people performing. So my thanks go to the performers and for the video and digital editing.
Cheers
Carol

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 09/02/07 01:34 AM

I have converted the video clips into wmv files rather than mpg. If you weren't able to see them before then give them another try now.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 09-02-2007).]

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 09/02/07 05:46 AM

Nigel,

Plays well. They are big files and using DSL lite it takes a long time to download.
After using broadband I will be switching to DSL high speed.

Thanks again for your support of our Florida Jams.

Fran in SC

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 09/02/07 08:20 AM

Hi Nigel, the new set-up works much better for me. Thank you.

You are very much appreciated, we don't often say this but I know that applies to all of us who use this forum. Joan

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 09/02/07 06:26 PM

I'm so glad that helped Joan. And thanks for your very kind words of support. This place wouldn't be the same without people like yourself contributing either. All of us make up an online community.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 09-02-2007).]
Posted by: etwo4788

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 09/03/07 06:57 AM

Wunnerful Wunnerful! What a treat to see & hear musicians & music from the 2007 jam!

Thank you all who had a part in presenting this to all of us here on the Zone....

This final version I got sound along with the pictures....the first one only pictures.... Good job!

I guess the Roland G-70 is not an arranger KB? It sounds great....

ELIZABETH

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 09/03/07 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by etwo4788:
I guess the Roland G-70 is not an arranger KB? It sounds great....

ELIZABETH

Yes the Roland G70 certainly is an arranger keyboard. Only in his final video clip does Harry switch to solo piano.
Posted by: shcox

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 09/05/07 10:47 AM

Fran,

What a wonderful surprise I got when I opened the mail and found the Jam DVD. Here I was at home recovering from carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand and I suddenly had something to watch. It really brought back the memory of that day and all the great players I got to listen too. As for me, oh if I could only have made it through just one song without a mistake. And you say you are afraid to play.

Thanks to Ed for spending so much of his time looking through a viewer and Thank You for taking so much time to edit it altogether (although I know you have nothing else to do all day anyway LOL.)

------------------
Heather- Leesburg, FL PR54

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 09/19/07 08:36 PM

I have added some more clips featuring Roger Mepstead, Bill Norrie, Glen Smith and Jim Helwig at http://www.synthzone.com/TechnicsJam2007.htm

I am just picking a selection of clips so we get to see everyone that was on the DVD.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 09-20-2007).]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 10/16/07 08:56 AM

Thanks, Fran, for referring me to this site. I was pleasantly surprised to see how well the Jam event DVD was received.

As you know, it was my first Keyboard Convention, and I had a great time, parked in my RV right by the door. All the friendly faces at the Jam made me feel welcome. I was very glad I came to the Jam. I learned a lot. And I met very interesting and talented people, with many of whom I have subsequently developed a good friendship.

Maybe next year I will have the courage to get up there and play something. We will have to see…

Fran, collecting 7 hours of raw footage is one thing. Another thing is to produce the DVD. You have demonstrated the patience of a saint, the technology savy of a true nerd, and the seasoned experience of a clever movie editor, and the persistence and hard work of a beaver in creating the Jam DVD we now all enjoy. Thank you once again on behalf of all the KN7000 aficionados!

When I got home from the Jam and reviewed the 7 hours of digital tapes I had shot, I was quite satisfied with the result. For an amateur-level camera, this Sony Digicam delivered reasonable-quality sound, together with a fairly acceptable image. Those shots of some performers with the bright daylight window in the background were particularly challenging. As things went along, I was able to open the camera aperture setting and force the keyboard player in the foreground to appear with reasonable quality. Also, walking around to get a better shot of the performances, instead of relying on the tripod turned out to provide a much better insight on the techniques used by each player, and the total performance experience. As I was shooting the video of the performances, as a total newcomer to the group, I was wondering what people were thinking: “who does this guys think he is…he is walking all over the place, obstructing the view, and distracting everybody, including the performer”….well, I got no reaction of the sort, and I think it was worth it.

FYI, my wife Daisy and I have a website where you can find out more about us, our sailboat and RV adventures, and my work with the boy scouts as a charter captain of the sailboat SIESTA, in the Florida Keys. I carry a KN2600 aboard for singalong fun at anchor in the evenings, during the six-day trips to Key West and back. I don’t dare think of carrying my KN7000 aboard, exposed to the salt air.

All the best to the KN7000 community from Captain Ed in Marathon, Florida Keys!

------------------
Captain Ed
Marathon, in the FL Keys
www.marill.com

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 10/17/07 01:33 AM

Thanks for reporting in Captain. We not only appreciate your laborious task of marathon shooting, but also your presence,

Looking forward to seeing you again in March.
Bernie
Posted by: lahawk

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 10/20/07 07:09 PM

If you download all of Nigel's clips to a folder on your PC, the total of all 13 files would be 176 MB.

So, if interested, I have combined all of his clips into one Windows Media Video 'mini movie' at a reduced overall size.

The first is for high speed download, as it is 50 MB: http://download.yousendit.com/80E4CD556B4C6458

The other is a much smaller download at 7 MB: http://download.yousendit.com/006E49F93B5DEEA2

Note: The smaller download is not very good quality wise, but it may allow those that still have dial up, the ability to download the SynthZone Jam 'movie'

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 10/20/07 11:41 PM

That's excellent Larry. Thanks so much for doing that. I will keep continuing to put more clips from the DVD up but it is so cool that you have packaged them into files that are more convenient for people with lower bandwidth to download.

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 10/21/07 05:23 AM

This Larry is not only great on the keyboard, he is also a computer wiz.

Thanks Larry,

Fran in SC

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 10/28/07 02:52 AM

Larry I see that that host has now expired both those files. Can you email me the 7MB file and I'll put that on Synth Zone so people have a permanent link to it.
Posted by: D.Munson

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 10/28/07 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
If you download all of Nigel's clips to a folder on your PC, the total of all 13 files would be 176 MB.

So, if interested, I have combined all of his clips into one Windows Media Video 'mini movie' at a reduced overall size.

The first is for high speed download, as it is 50 MB: http://download.yousendit.com/80E4CD556B4C6458

The other is a much smaller download at 7 MB: http://download.yousendit.com/006E49F93B5DEEA2

Note: The smaller download is not very good quality wise, but it may allow those that still have dial up, the ability to download the SynthZone Jam 'movie'

Larry, I tried to access this site but a message told me it had expired.
Derek

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 11/01/07 05:01 PM

I'm having trouble locating the files on my hard drive. I may have accidently deleted them.

If I can't find them, I'll do it over, and send a copy to Nigel, as well as YousSendIt...SORRY

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 11/01/07 05:53 PM

I was able to recover the files.

The download for the low speed, low quality SZ Jam will be available at You Send It for about 2 weeks, and I believe there is a limit on the number of downloads. It is 7+ MB http://download.yousendit.com/9BA2BA604BBAE24C

I also have the high speed, high quality video, and will also upload it to You Send It soon. It is 50+ MB

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 11/01/07 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
I was able to recover the files.

Cool Larry!!!!!

I'll pull them down and keep a permanent copy here at Synth Zone and post the link here as it will never expire. Well not as long as I keep breathing anyway lol.

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 11/02/07 04:23 AM

The link for the high speed, higher quality file is at You Send It. It will expire in 7 days... around Nov 9th and has a limit of 100 downloads. It is 50+ MB
http://download.yousendit.com/F26BA9A91D53CA0B

Thanks to Nigel for everything.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Re: 2007 JAM DVD - 11/03/07 04:41 PM

The low speed version can now be download from here at Synth Zone and will not expire.

Thanks Larry.