Saving Midi Files and Part select sounds

Posted by: PeterH

Saving Midi Files and Part select sounds - 06/15/07 06:32 AM

I have a KN6000 keyboard, can any one tell me if it is possible to save a midi file and the part select sounds together so that when I load the midi file from disc or play direct it will automaticlly set the correct sounds that I have chosen for the song in the part select (i.e. Left, Right1, Right 2)on my keyboard. I have tried saving the files with the header panel turned on but this does not seem to do what I want. Can any one help me please?
Regards Pete

------------------
Peter H
Posted by: Bill Norrie

Re: Saving Midi Files and Part select sounds - 06/16/07 04:02 AM

Hi Peter,
The functions such as Panel Memory and 'Left', 'Right1', 'Right2' are unique to the Technics keyboard and are not included in the MIDI specification. Therefore, they cannot be included within the normal 'Save' operation of a MIDI file. The actual instruments selected for the 16 channels in a MIDI file, are embedded within the individual channel information, when the original file was recorded and can only be changed using a MIDI editor. This data is not visible within the editing facilities present on the KN6000.

One way around your problem is to load the MIDI file using the SMF option and Load as GM/GM2 to NX, then change the sounds as required, using the Mixer in the Sequencer and re-save the sequence. I tried this, using the following procedure and it seems to work OK with re-loaded MIDI files and Direct play.

1. Load the file > SMF > GM/GM2 to NX
2. Press MIXER and change the sounds as required.
3. Press PROGRAM MENUS > Sequencer > Panel Write > OK
4. Press DISK LOAD > Save > SMF Format 0 > Name (as Required)> OK > Panel Header ON > Save as GM2 > Save
5. Re-Load the Midi File and you should hear the song with the changed sounds - a bit long winded but it works

There may be alternative methods to achieve your aim and if anyone else knows of a way, I'm sure you will hear about it

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
Posted by: lahawk

Re: Saving Midi Files and Part select sounds - 06/17/07 08:23 AM

I don't have the Technics keyboard in front of me, but maybe you could save the midi file as a Technics file, make the changes, and then save the song back to a midi.

Saving a Technics file to a midi requires some work (IMO, a major fault with Technics keyboards) For futher assistance, visit http://www.keso.nl/

Good luck, and keep us informed with any progress.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper