How often do we play?

Posted by: Richard Bools

How often do we play? - 07/23/02 02:47 AM

How many hours a week on average would people say that they play (recreationally or otherwise)?

I'd have to admit that my tally is very low, as the KN6000 is currently stored under the bed through lack of space and only brought out sporadically!
Posted by: peter castanos

Re: How often do we play? - 07/23/02 03:40 AM

You'll dig it out again Richard when it's time for the kids to start piano lessons!

[This message has been edited by peter castanos (edited 07-23-2002).]
Posted by: Richard Bools

Re: How often do we play? - 07/23/02 04:00 AM

And get it covered in Coca Cola and jam - not likely! I'll get them a cheapie Casio to bang around on!

[This message has been edited by Richard Bools (edited 07-23-2002).]
Posted by: Bill Norrie

Re: How often do we play? - 07/23/02 05:34 AM

Before I retired, I used to play my KN6000 about 8 - 10 hours a week, which included editing, sequencing and generally 'messing about' with the instrument. Now that I have much more time, I find myself spending about 20 hours a week, doing much the same, and still finding out new things about the KN. and still really enjoying myself. When my KN7000 arrives, I expect I will probably sleep with it

------------------
Willum
Posted by: lrngkybrd

Re: How often do we play? - 07/23/02 06:39 AM

I manage to play about 8 - 10 hours a week too, and I still can't get enought. I can't wait until I retire.!
Posted by: larry gosmeyer

Re: How often do we play? - 07/23/02 06:51 AM

I am on the KN6000 about one to two hours per day just for my own entertainment. I have that much time now that I am retired.

I used to play parties, churches, etc., but not so much now because lugging the equipment around is too much of a chore.

Larry
larry.gosmeyer@verizon.net
Posted by: dlstarry

Re: How often do we play? - 07/23/02 07:39 AM

I was doing good a while back, I was averaging 35-40 hrs.
a week, BUuuuT my wife started to complain about me not
spending any time with her.
SOoooooooo for the last 6 months I only get in about
10 hrs. a week.
I can tell I have went down hill on my playing ability also.
OH well, it's only for my own entertainment anyway.
Denny
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: How often do we play? - 07/23/02 07:42 AM

..... It varies depending on my schedule, but if I'm not on it at all for a day or two, it's like I'm going through withdrawal ... It is ALWAYS set up, so even if I only have time to go through a song, I can do it.... when I first got it I really think my wife was getting jealous of the time I spent with it .... even now, there are nights when I am on it with the headphones long after she's gone to bed...
Because of my 'real job' work schedule and some other things I had going on, I had given up my weekend gig last October ... I've been doing some private parties since then, but now that a number of other things are out of the way, I've GOT to get back to a regular gig.....
t.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: How often do we play? - 07/23/02 08:33 AM

There aren't enough hours in the day for me to play AND work, so I decided to make playing, my REAL job. I'm on the keys at least 2-3 hours at home, and then 4-5 hours each night at work. When I retire,(yeah, RIGHT!) I guess I'll play less and go see as many plays and musicals as I can.
I can't afford NOT to play full time - there would be no time for anything else if I had to do a 40hr gig, then come home and find time for kids, house and recreation.
To paraphrase WS:
"To Play's the thing !"
Posted by: technicsplayer

Re: How often do we play? - 07/23/02 12:39 PM

I spend hours playing with XP, occasionaly ME, rather more 98SE, and all the things connected to them with the various cables, infra-red, and wireless links.

Sometimes I follow one wire and find this big silver box with funny black and white rectangular things in a row across the front, and try and remember, what did I used to do with that?
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: How often do we play? - 07/23/02 04:16 PM

Hi Richard: Interesting topic! I'll never forget my music prof back in school(years ago) lecturing to us that playing vs. practicing are two DIFFERENT things. He emphasized, that though playing recreationally is fun & definitely has valuable merits, it cannot subsititute for the time required to devote to practicing: scales, arpeggios, chord voicings/progressions, music anaylsis & memorization etc. That said, I hardly ever practice anymore , but instead, do a lot of playing, both on and off the job. Maybe that's why I'm not appearing at Carnegie Hall now

Scott
Posted by: Frank Bez

Re: How often do we play? - 07/23/02 04:49 PM

Hi Richard,
I’ve been playing for almost six years now, but still sight read rather slowly. Having had the pleasure of hearing many of the great players on the Synthzone -- several in person, my goal is to be able to improvise at least as well as Scott. Toward that end I play or record for about two hours each day. Since I’m only 72, I feel I may be reasonably accomplished by the time I’m 90.
Frank
Posted by: Bud Whipple

Re: How often do we play? - 07/24/02 12:43 PM

I have a wife that gets between me and my playing time, too. She enjoys my music and doesn't complain about the time (yeah, right) spent at the keyboard, but she slyly keeps me busy during the day doing other things and volunteers our time for church functions and other community projects. This leaves me from 11pm to 1pm to practice or play, then she lets me sleep in until 8am. When her foot heals to the point she can walk again and drive herself around, my busy book will once more have empty slots I can fill with keyboard time. I had more playing time when I was working 60 hours a week - retirement doesn't guarantee you'll have time for YOUR personal favorites. Not as long as you're married.
Posted by: Derek Ladkin

Re: How often do we play? - 07/24/02 03:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bud Whipple:
[B]I have a wife that gets between me and my playing time, too.

Take heart Bud, there is a Spanish proverb :-

"The woman who obeys her husband rules him"
Posted by: Bob Hendershot

Re: How often do we play? - 07/24/02 04:11 PM

I started playing organs about 50 years ago. Before retirement I seemed to have plenty of time for music even though I routinely worked 50 to 60 hours a week. I retired thirteen years ago and it now seems that I am too busy to play as much as I did. But, I still get in at least an hour each day, sometimes with headphones when other things are going on in the house. We have a lot of visiting family and houseguests. I don’t think I could survive without my music.