Roland VA7 Message for Ricki

Posted by: Peter Lowden

Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/20/04 11:06 PM

Since the announcemant by Technics to end production I've been searching for other keyboards that sound as exciting as KN7000

The only instrument until now that really caught my attention was the Wersi Abacus however, it's incredibly expensive and can only order it from Germany, also it's too heavy to carry or wheel long distances.

I listened last night to many CD quality samples from the Roland VA7 and was amazed at just how good this keyboard sounds.

Hoping you're reading this Ricki! How does the VA7 compare to your KN7000? is it in your opinion better?

Have you recorded any organ voices using the VA7 or do you know where I might be able to download and listen to some samples.

Is there anwhere you can download the Owners manual in .pdf format?

Any help you can give me is much appreciated

Kind regards

Peter
Posted by: technicsplayer

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/21/04 02:26 AM

I had the VA7 on extended loan. It was a turkey, and the sound could not compare in a side by side with the Kn6000, let alone the 7000. The touch screen was so difficult to operate on live play and got so many user complaints they had to rush out another model with extra switches on the panel which also bombed. The 4000 sounds were a con because 3/4 consisted of the samples of the previous generations of products. It had some nice patterns, all of which I converted to composers.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/21/04 06:11 AM

I don't know what the prices are across the ditch for the VA7, but in the states it can be purchased rather cheap. It was a Roland failure I am told.

Fran in Florida

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/21/04 08:18 AM

Many thanks for the response to my enquiries about the Roland VA7. The sound demo's were brilliant they've obviously got a lot of work to do with Operating system etc, it's a great pity players have to buy such a poorly configured instrument before finding it's as good as they expected.

Many thanks again for the advice and help given

Kind regards

peter
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/21/04 08:44 AM

Some companies drop their prices when it doesn't sell[not enough profit in sales], other companies close shop..
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/24/04 04:25 PM

Hi Peter,
sorry I couldn't get back to you any earlier, I've only just managed to get back online.
Had a lightning strike afew days back, took out our Foxtel Cable, so no cable tv, internet, ( destroyed our surround sound system)and may have damaged something in my kn7 ie I can no longer access DEMO's or Step Record Mode in the sequencer.

Anyway, I have a VA7, I don't think they're made any longer?? but if they are, the technology would have to be 3 years old. I bought mine second hand and quite frankly, I don't like the operating system. I've had earlier models, ie the e20,e86. g800 and a couple of the RA modules, which at the time, I thought were great, there's just something about the VA7 that hasn't quite captured my imagination.
I had 3 keyboards a while back my order of preference was
KN7
9000 pro
VA7

One day when I get the spare time and enthusiasm , I may work may way through the manual and work it all out, unfortunately as yet , I haven't found it inspiring enough to do so.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter Lowden:
[B]
Posted by: Graham UK

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/24/04 11:14 PM

Peter. Sit back for a few months. Roland are stated to provide a new top end arranger this year replacing the VA Series.

Take a look at the Korg PAX1. I was very impressed when I spent a week last October's Keyboard Festival at Caister UK.
You could book (Sceptre Promotions) and go to Caister this April and see them all.

Graham UK

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/25/04 12:16 AM

Many thanks for all the helpful comments about Roland Keyboards, amazing Graham that you mention the Korg PA1X i've been gathering info about this Keyboard and have also been well impressed.

Thanks again to all

peter
Posted by: Bill Norrie

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/25/04 03:35 AM

Hi Peter, I too have been looking around for an additional Arranger Keyboard, when I get rid of my Tyros. There is a short review of the Korg PA1X here : http://www.oggi.it/miul/KORG%20Pa1X%20Pro.htm
May be of interest to you......

------------------
Willum

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/25/04 03:43 AM

Hi Bill,

I own the PSR9000 just can't bring myself to get the Tyros which after listening to all the Demo's and recordings from the Tyros appears in my opinion to offer only a little more than the PSR9000, however the demo's and reviews etc of the new Korg keyboards offer a whole new world.

Why are you thinking Bill of getting rid of your Tyros

All the best

Peter

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/25/04 06:28 AM

only 2 things on the horizon worth looking at, at low price psr3000 (but pity about the smartmedia) and at a lot of price korg pa1 with speakers.

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/25/04 07:13 AM

The Korg PA1X Pro has a recommended retail price of £2,800 Approx. Thursday morning I located a dealer willing to sell it to me for £2,175 and another for £2,250

The PA1X with speakers due for release soon should be around £2,000 if you wheel and deal! This is not too bad I don't think those who wait a while will probably be able to get it for less than the Tyros is today ie: £1,800

If the reviews and reports I see are anything to go by this keyboard could be very good value for money, and have far more lively and realistic voices than anything on the market at the moment.

Thanks for your reply Graham, I live on the Ilse Of Wight

All the best

Peter
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/25/04 07:21 AM

Korg have usually sound good, and also have good
styles, but what about the "userfriendlyness"?
I'm thinking about composer etc.
GJ

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/25/04 07:31 AM

I'm new to Korg instruments, but so far with all i've seen and heard i'm very very impressed.
Read the owners manual which you can down load from Korg UK.

Also have a look here if you are interested further in the PA1XPRO by korg
http://awarenessengine.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=126&sid=e175f542716e3005b370c92d92e3d5c9

All the best

Peter

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/25/04 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunnar Jonny:
Korg have usually sound good, and also have good
styles, but what about the "userfriendlyness"?
I'm thinking about composer etc.
GJ

nowhere near as user friendly for creation overall, you have to learn new tricks!

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/25/04 07:59 AM

Bound to be one hell of a learning curve changing keyboards made by different manufacturers

When I bought my first Technics keyboard the KN6000 I found everything really strange after always being dedicated to Yamaha so glad I stuck with it though

With Technics no more it's the ideal situation to look round for new challanges.

All the best

Peter

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/25/04 08:14 AM

bear in mind one factor to keep in mind with the korg pricing will be the optional mp3 encoder and video interface to give the same general overall functionality as the 7k, this will bump the price up.
regards.
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/25/04 08:17 AM

Good point, and the big question is what to
choose next.
But still the KN7k are new to me as long as
I still use the KN5k
But what I've seen from the other brands so
far, it's far more complicated to create and
edit (read fool around) the styles/patterns.
Maybe the next Roland solve that matters???
GJ

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/25/04 08:25 AM

Hi Peter, The simple answer to your question is the unfriendliness of the Tyros operating system, compared to the Technics KN range. It's not just unfamiliarity - I've spent many hours, trying to come to terms with it but just cannot work up any enthusiasm for it. Also, I don't like the 'feel' of the keys, compared to the KN7000. Trying to edit styles or sounds is a bit of a nightmare, again compared to the KN range. However, I must admit that some of the sounds and styles are good, although the 'Grand Piano' isn't one of them......
Just my opinion and experience I made a mistake in buying it and I'm not afraid to admit it

------------------
Willum

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/25/04 08:43 AM

I've been considering the PA1XPRO

This keyboard has semi weighted keys like the PSR9000pro

Never had chance to play a semi weighted instrument like the 9000pro! is it better than say an instrument like the KN7000?

Kind regards

Peter

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/25/04 10:00 AM

I suppose it depends on your keyboard past experience before moving to an arranger KB. Ex- pianists would probably prefer a weighted or semi weighted key action, while Ex-organists would probably prefer the non-weighted variety.

------------------
Willum
Posted by: Douglas Dean

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/25/04 01:14 PM

Let me jump in here Bill. You got it right. I would only like to add a thought or two. The ‘ex’ whatever, is right on. I would also like to add the time frame to the ‘ex’ factor. After being away from playing the piano for quite some time or I should say playing the KN for quite awhile it makes little difference now when I play a regular piano. Somehow my mind must have a built in adjuster. A good many of the people I hang around with were old organ buffs. Most have added a keyboard to their endeavors. Organs have kind of lost out in the past few years. Most have gone out of business or have had not much improvement. Looking for something new, these players have migrated to the keyboard while keeping there organs, especially since the KN7 arrived with all of it’s great organ sounds and features. Bill, yes, ex-organ guys like the non weighted keys but most of them hate the touch sensitivity. They really have a problem with that except for the ones that play piano also. There right hand is week and they have a hard time controlling the volume of it. You ought to see the smiles on their faces when I go into the sensitivity control and set it to zero. No matter how wimpy the right hand is. the volume is now maintained just like the organ. However, I tell them, if they want to control the volume like before they must get a swell pedal. This can be good and also can lead to other problems. Problems that have been discussed at length before.

With that added I also have a question. Does keyboards like the 9000 pro have touch sensitivity and/or can it be turned off or on? If so the PSR could play like an organ but still would not have the feel of the organ keys. What do you think Peter? Does all this make sense?

Doug

Re: Roland VA7 Message for Ricki - 01/25/04 01:46 PM

I don't own and have never played the PSR9000pro so i'm not sure if it's got touch sensitivity, I would guess it does though and with this would come adjustment, the weighted action would stay the same though I would presume. I really must get in contact with someone who lives near and try one out. As i've said I'm interested in the PA1X (Korg) just not sure whether to go for the pro version, it sounds as from what you've said you'd get used to semi weighted keys quite quickly but then the pro version has no speakers which is a drawback for me but then it does come with hard drive whereas the non pro version just has floppy drive.

If only Technics were still around none of this would be a problem.

Doug: What's your thoughts on Korg instruments and the New PA1X and PA1Xpro
More info here http://awarenessengine.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=126&sid=e175f542716e3005b370c92d92e3d5c9

All the best

Peter