Select Sounds from MEMORY via MIDI

Posted by: laingjam

Select Sounds from MEMORY via MIDI - 05/16/02 11:25 AM

I am programming an external device to send the appropriate commands to select Sounds for various MIDI channels on my KN6000. For all the regular sounds, I follow the info in the blue manual that came with my KN6000, to obtain the MSB, LSB and Program Change #. I get this to work fine by sending a Hex string with the appropriate commands.

However, there is no listing in the blue manual for MY sounds, those I created and stored in the Sound MEmory. On the KN5000, the blue manual had the data on how to get at
these (although it did have an error), but the KN6000 blue book seems to have no mention of how to select these sounds that are in Sound Memory.

fyi, an example of a MIDI string (in HEX) that I use looks something like this:

Bn 20 1A Cn 4C Bn 20 00

where 'n' is the hex code for MIDI channel
(0-15 for MIDI channels 1-16); Bn means "Bank change coming", 20 means "LSB coming", 1A is a an eleven in Hex (LSB data); Cn means "Program change coming on Midi ch n"; 4C is Hex for program change 77 as an example; the rest of the string re-sets the Bank # so that future commands work OK. I might have left one byte out; I'm doing this from memory!

Works great; I can call up any sound I want, on any MIDI channel, with one button press of my external device.

Is anyone else doing this sort of thing?

Re: Select Sounds from MEMORY via MIDI - 05/16/02 11:26 AM

Woops, I meant, "1A" is is 26 in Hex, not 11!
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: Select Sounds from MEMORY via MIDI - 05/16/02 12:22 PM

HI,
I havent done this since I was using the Kn800 and we were still using the midi format and layering sounds one layer at a time. After going to the Kn3000, I nearly quit using midi as there was no more need for it and now with the kn6000, I only record in Audio entirely. Your work looks correct to me. Perhaps you can not access those sounds on the newer board as they are transient sounds and might be right for one midi but wrong for the next one.
BEBOP

Re: Select Sounds from MEMORY via MIDI - 05/16/02 12:29 PM

Thanks "beebop". Since I am doing this "live" and not as part of any sequence, I'd think it *should* be doable. I am doing this for calling up sounds instantly in live-performance situation, for a midi keyboard controller that I have attached to my KN for additional quick-access to more sounds while playing. I know I did it OK on my KN5000....

Technics (Eddie Williams) just called me back; he says he has a possible solution. If it works, I'll post the results here . . .

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Select Sounds from MEMORY via MIDI - 05/16/02 02:27 PM

Hey Jim,
If anybody knows it will be Eddie Williams. He will either know or find out one way or another. I understand what you are doing and yes it should definately be doable. Let us know as someone here may want to also do the same thing with a new board. I got 10 midi boards in here and I might even do it myself.
Bebop

Re: Select Sounds from MEMORY via MIDI - 05/17/02 08:46 AM

Eddie Williams had the answers:

LSB=0, MSB=16, Pgm Chg = 0 thru 39
for user sounds 1 thru 40. I use the same hex string coding that I mentioned previously.

This worked great. I originally forgot to reset MSB back to 32, which is used for most "regular" (internal) sounds. Once I did that, everything worked great. Now I can call up any sound I want, with one button press, for my external MIDI controller keyboard.

Re: Select Sounds from MEMORY via MIDI - 05/17/02 08:50 AM

So, for example, if I want to call up my sound "Sonata" (which is strings+oboe+harpsichord), which is in Sound Memory "slot" #13, here is what I do. I am using MIDI channel 5 here, so the "4" is for MIDI channel 5 (1-16 is 0-15 in here!)

B4 00 10 C4 0C B4 00 20

B4 = Bank change coming on MIDI Ch. 5
00 = MSB coming
10 = MSB value of 16 in Hex
C4 = Program Change coming on MIDI Ch. 5
0C = Pgm Chg 12 (For sound 13) (subtracted 1)
B4 = Bank Change coming (so I can reset it)
00 = MSB coming
20 = MSB value of 32 (used for most internal sounds)

Hope this is useful to someone!

Re: Select Sounds from MEMORY via MIDI - 05/17/02 10:31 AM

That is super Jim,
Thanks for sharing your good fortune with us. I am sure all of us will be able to use that information.
I think I may crank up my Roland Jv1080 with 4 add in cards that has 2000 sound samples in it and add it to my Kn6000. I haven't done that as I said before since way back. Hope the roland doesn't have a dead battery, It has been sitting quiet through the KN3 and KN6 era.
Best to you and thanks for sharing
BEBOP

Re: Select Sounds from MEMORY via MIDI - 05/17/02 11:45 AM

Bebop - wow, that's a lot of sounds! With the KN's having 1000 already?! The controller I'm using is not a sound-making machine, it's just a keyboard that sends MIDI to the KN - kind of like adding a 2nd "manual" to my KN "organ" ... so all my sounds are still coming from the KN . . .

Jim
Posted by: Bud Whipple

Re: Select Sounds from MEMORY via MIDI - 05/17/02 01:18 PM

Hey Bebop...got any good banjo sounds on that Roland jv1080 that you can transfer to the kn6k memory? Sure could use a good banjo picking sound for bluegrass styles!