Need a song lyric!

Posted by: Ted Rose

Need a song lyric! - 08/24/03 08:58 PM

Hello again, all my Forum friends!

The other day I heard a magnificent recording of Carly Simon singing a truly beautiful classic pop tune entitled "In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning", one of my all-time favorites and a tear jerker (to me at least). I have heard it before done by others, but this Carly Simon one was incredible! Anyway, she sang a lovely verse before the chorus; I had never heard that verse before and would love to have the words, if anyone knows them. (Also would love to have a melody line of the music, leading into the lovely chorus.) I am working on the song and playing with possible unusual chord structures (I am an ear-player, you know!), and I would like also to include the initial verse, if possible.

Thanks for any assistance either here on the Forum or to me directly, via e-mail; I know I can always rely on the Forum to answer ANY question or request I have!

Ted
Posted by: Bill Norrie

Re: Need a song lyric! - 08/25/03 02:57 AM

Hi Ted,
For the Lyrics, have a look here : http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/sleeplessinseattle/intheweesmallhoursofthemorning.htm

There are also lots of 'Hits' here: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=%22In+the+Wee+Small+Hours+of+the+Morning%22+Carly+Simon&btnG=Google+Search
Hope you find something useful.

------------------
Willum
Posted by: Graham UK

Re: Need a song lyric! - 08/25/03 03:04 AM

Ted. This is the one I use to obtain Lyrics.
http://ntl.matrix.com.br/pfilho/html/main_index/index.html

Graham UK
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Need a song lyric! - 08/25/03 03:09 AM

Hi Ted
Search Google
simon wee small hours lyrics
Posted by: Joan

Re: Need a song lyric! - 08/25/03 04:02 AM

Hi Fred - haven't got the verse but have sent you direct a Busker type version with the lyrics

Lovely song - one of my favourites. Joan

Re: Need a song lyric! - 08/25/03 04:59 AM

Wow, my friends! What a wonderful and speedy reply. You have provided me with not only the lyrics I wanted, but an invaluable source of information for future searches! My heartiest thanks to you all!

Ted

P.S. How could I have forgotten that magnificent rendition of the song by Jimmy Durante in "Sleepless in Seattle"? Thanks again, all of you!

Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Need a song lyric! - 08/25/03 05:47 AM

Um.... Jimmy never sang it in the movie. He did "As time goes by". Carly sang the song in Seattle.

Re: Need a song lyric! - 08/25/03 11:12 AM

Hey Unlce Dave,

Just attribute my misconceptions about who sang what where or when in what movie to my usual "senior moment" lapses! Tnanks for the clarification; I must get that movie and run it again and try to get things straightened out!

Ted (as usual)
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: Need a song lyric! - 08/26/03 08:04 AM

http://members.fortunecity.com/lyricslib2/

from Bebop
Posted by: The Leans

Re: Need a song lyric! - 08/29/03 10:23 AM

Hi Ted,

I Believe I can help you with this.

The lyric was composed by Johnny Mercer - the melody by Hoagy Carmichael. You surely could't get better than this.

I have the music, whcih obviously includes the chords, and the '2' verses. I'll send the lot to you under e-mail attachment. In fact, if you're interested, I'll record it for you. It'll be a pleasure.

Mmeanwhile, all the best with your own efforts to get to grips with it.

Cheers -- Colin Leaney
Posted by: Johnnie.c

Re: Need a song lyric! - 08/29/03 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Leans:
Hi Ted,

The lyric was composed by Johnny Mercer - the melody by Hoagy Carmichael. Cheers -- Colin Leaney

It would seem that you are talking about a different song than
In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning
I think that the song Ted is talking about was written by Bob Hilliard & the music by David Mann
Posted by: The Leans

Re: Need a song lyric! - 08/29/03 03:25 PM

Johnnie 'C'

You're absolutely right. Sorry Ted. I believe the expression is 'one brick short of a tower block' !!! Although that might be wrong also. !!

However, I'll look through all my stuff again, (probably in the wee small hours of the morning, as opposed to the cool cool cool of the evening), and I might very well come across something that will help you.

The only thing that will help me is, I suspect, more of the stuff I had prior to posting my previous message to you. Another pint of beer. Hic. Cheers.

Colin Leaney