Partly transfer to an other SD card

Posted by: Bert Aarts

Partly transfer to an other SD card - 10/27/03 04:42 AM

Maybe someone can help me with the following:
I use a 128MB SD-card on which I saved songs, custom styles, registrations etc. To create more space on this card I want to transfer all songs (12 folders with 20 songs each) to an other 64MB card.
Is there an easier way than through copying the songs to floppies?
Bert
Posted by: technicsplayer

Re: Partly transfer to an other SD card - 10/27/03 05:53 AM

if you have a card reader just copy the contents of the 128 card to your pc, then copy it back to the blank 64 card. If there are only 12 folders of technics files it should fit. Without a card reader you can create a backup file through the usb to the Song Manager software and then restore this file to the blank new card, it will just take longer.

Re: Partly transfer to an other SD card - 10/27/03 06:42 AM

Thanks for your quick reply, Alec.
I tried this through card reader before but did not succeed.
This is what I did:
I copied the complete content (about 80MB) of the 128 MB card by dragging and dropping 'Private' directory to PC. After that I deleted all TFLD folders containing files that I do not want to copy so only folders that contain songs remain. After that I copied 'Private' to new 64MB card. After checking that card in KN7 it shows empty content.
I will give it another try tonight.
Bert

Re: Partly transfer to an other SD card - 10/27/03 08:19 AM

Ah! the scenario changes, when you said transfer all songs i.e. 12 full technics folders, this sounded like the total contents of the 128 card. If that was the case it would succeed. You wish to split 12 folders out of a greater number of folders on the 128 card. In that case do exactly what you did before, deleting all folders you do not want but also delete the kn7000mn.inf file.

You will now have all the songs in screen but without any folder names and any long file names on the new card, providing you rename the folders from tfld001 onwards. Load, rename and save any one song and those names will be stored on that card. Now rename the folders and load, rename and resave each file on the 7000 to restore the long file names. The advantage of this method is that you can put the folders in any order you like by renaming the folder numbers from 001 before saving on the 7000.

Alternatively if it is quicker this way, copy your 128 card to the pc, then delete the files and folders you do not want on the 128 card using the 7000. This will keep all the folder and long file names of the songs you wish to keep on the new 64 card but in their original positions. When finished copy the new, small, contents of the 128 card to the pc, and then copy that to the 64 card. Then wipe the 128 card and restore the original full contents to the 128 card.

Whichever method will be much quicker than using floppies... make certain you have a good backup of your 128 card before starting anything. If you are comfortable with Thomas' implementation of my card tool idea, you could try copying the 128 card to the pc and copying and renaming the files you want on the 64 card with the card tool.

Re: Partly transfer to an other SD card - 10/28/03 01:15 PM

Following Alec's advice I did not succeed at first but Alec gave me some additional advice by mail and wow....it worked. Thanks Alec, your a great guy.
Bert

Re: Partly transfer to an other SD card - 10/28/03 05:01 PM

glad the problem is solved