The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress

Posted by: fmlk4u

The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/24/04 02:03 PM

Hello KN-players,

Unfortunately the SynthZone problems destroyed the topic about the tool we are developing. We probably will call it KN-SD-Explorer (copyright). I was wise and lucky to save the email addresses of all of you who showed interest in the tool that we expect to be released pretty soon. The development was pretty time consuming but worth it, when I remember your enthusiasm. The tool will be licenced on user level and pricing will be lower than most of you expect, I think. You will probably surprised.
The development is one thing, the delivery and payment logistics is something we have to deal with. I am thinking on using my PayPal account.

You can find basic specification of the tool on a page of my website:
http://kn-sdexplorer.has.it

Kindest Regards, Fred

Watch Kenneth' Devotion and enthusiasm:
http://www.kn7000.net/fred

It has even become easier: http://fred.kn7000.net

[This message has been edited by fmlk4u (edited 12-08-2004).]

[This message has been edited by fmlk4u (edited 02-06-2005).]
Posted by: Merrill Ainsworth

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/24/04 03:22 PM

Looking forward to procuring our copy!
Keep us posted.

Cordially,

Merrill Ainsworth@cox.net
Quote:
Originally posted by fmlk4u:
Hello KN-players,

Unfortunately the SynthZone problems destroyed the topic about the tool we are developing. We probably will call it KN-SD-Explorer (copyright). I was wise and lucky to save the email addresses of all of you who showed interest in the tool that we expect to be released pretty soon. The development was pretty time consuming but worth it, when I remember your enthusiasm. The tool will be licenced on user level and pricing will be lower than most of you expect, I think. You will probably surprised.
The development is one thing, the delivery and payment logistics is something we have to deal with. I am thinking on using my PayPal account.

http://httpd.chello.nl/~f.mellink/SD-Explorer.htm

Kindest Regards, Fred

Posted by: Bob Hendershot

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/24/04 05:11 PM

Keep me on your list, Fred. I liked what I saw when I looked at your specs.
Posted by: bassclef

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/24/04 06:30 PM

Hi Fred,

The specs of your program under development
look very attractive.
Please keep me on your list.

Regards,
George
Posted by: Ted Rose

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/24/04 08:36 PM

Hey Fred,

Don't know if I was on your list or not, but I hope you will check, and add me if I am not already there. Thanks. Looks great!

Ted Rose
Posted by: clover_kid

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/25/04 06:18 AM

Fred,

Please add me to the ever growing list also.

Thanks

Bill
Posted by: D.Munson

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/25/04 07:01 AM

Quote:
Hello KN-players,

Kindest Regards, Fred

Please inform me what this is all about.

Derek Munson
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/25/04 07:44 AM

I like what I read on your site. Keep me on the list.

Fran in Florida

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/25/04 10:21 AM

Hello to you all,

Thanks for all your enthusiastic replies. We are also looking for making you happy with the release. Today we had a discussion about remaining issues. We found more powerful functions to implement in the future, becasue they are a lot of work to realize. However I have good news for you. After delivering the first release, all customers will receive the update later in the year free of charge. As I said before I will keep you posted via this forum and the KESO café. Tell your friends and relatives who have a Technics Keyboard with SD-drive. We still have to test it, but reason to believe that our tool will also fully work with KN2600 SD cards.

Regards, Fred
Posted by: Bert Aarts

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/25/04 10:35 AM

Hi Fred,
Your tool looks promising. Please put me on your list.
Thanks,
Bert

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/25/04 11:31 AM

Who can help us?

In my former email I told you that very likely the KN-SD-Explorer tool will work for KN2600. To make sure I like the help of KN2600 owners. It is very simple.

Could you send me a small sdb file. I can imaginge that you save a few songs in folder 1, some in folder 2 and the same in folder three. The contents doesn't matter and will not be reproduced or misused otherwise. We just use it for testing.
The idea is that I then restore the sdb file on a SD card or my harddisk and then I expect that the tool works and that I can move songs between folders. I will do some changes like that and then back it up to sdb and send it to you, so that you can check whether it works in the Keyboard.
By this testing I hope to release the tool also for KN2600 players
Thanks, Fred
Posted by: Sapphire

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/25/04 11:34 AM

Hi Fred

I agree with all the others that have replied to you. This tool looks really great and also looks so easy to use. Please, please put me on your list.

Alan
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/25/04 01:44 PM

Paypal is fine with me.I am still interested.
Bernie
Posted by: Joan

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/25/04 02:31 PM

Hi Fred - Count me in - can't wait - great job - Joan
Posted by: Garyv

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/25/04 02:53 PM

Look's interesting-- Please place me on the list.
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/25/04 05:43 PM

Hi Fred,
unfortunately I missed your previous message on this tool. Does it actually allow you to move your styles around or only sequences.

Pay Pal seems a fairly good way to go. Especially fo oversea buyers.

best wishes
rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fmlk4u:
[B]Hello KN-players,

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/26/04 10:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rikkisbears:
[B]Hi Fred,
unfortunately I missed your previous message on this tool. Does it actually allow you to move your styles around or only sequences.

Pay Pal seems a fairly good way to go. Especially fo oversea buyers.

best wishes
rikki

Hello Rikki,

Yes, you can rename, move, copy "songs" between folders on a Technics 'tree', either on an SD-card (mostly the case) or a retored sdb file on the harddisk, but even from one tree to another. Just like Explorer does with files, our tools works for "songs", where the "song" may be plain sequence, composer style, sound memory, etc. or combination: all that you save as a song.
When you watch the right side screenshot on http://httpd.chello.nl/~f.mellink/SD-Explorer.htm you see that song 6 is a (Custom) style. In the grey part you see which Technics groups/parts are saved in the song. The screenshots are of the first prototype. The first release will have better UI: you can actually see the files in the song with creation date for each file in that song.

Regards, Fred

P.S. If you like to be on the mailling list: please send me your email address.
(mailto:fmlk@chello.nl)
Posted by: bruno123

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/26/04 12:30 PM

Fred, Please put me on your mailing list.

John C.
Posted by: techok

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/27/04 02:11 AM

Hi Fred

The program looks promising and will be a great enhancement to the KN7000. Please add me to your list of potential customers.

Regards

Tony
Posted by: RJB

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/27/04 10:00 AM

Sounds great to me also. Please add my name to your list. Dick Bergin

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/27/04 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RJB:
Sounds great to me also. Please add my name to your list. Dick Bergin

Hello Dick,

In order to be able to put you on my mail list, I need your email address

Regards, Fred

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 08/27/04 01:01 PM

Hello KN musicians,

To satisfy you, I spend more time for your information and testing the tool than actually playing my keyboard

With delight I like to show you a new version of the info webpages with screenshots of prototype 2. For you who have seen the former screens wil see differences: song files info, etc.

You see, we work hard to make progress. However a hard date is impossible. We strive to deliver as soon as possible, but don't want an avalanche of complaints and bug reporting. Thanks for all your compliments and enthusiasm that is really motivating us.

Regards, Fred
(http://vision4life.shows.it)

[This message has been edited by fmlk4u (edited 09-01-2004).]

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 09/08/04 08:51 PM

Thanks to put me on your mail list when your soft ship! Spec sounds good to me.

Regards /michel

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 09/28/04 01:15 PM

Hello to you all,

Some news: I am very busy with final alpha testing and we also have selected a beta tester who will probably start after the weekend. This means that October will be the month of releasing. I must admit honestly that developing the tool is harder than we expected. It is much more complex than Windows Explorer. And we want to make sure to release quality

Regards, Fred

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/02/04 02:30 PM

Hello All,

We are near to finish alpha testing and we have selecting a beta tester for usability testing mainly. We will cooperate closely to get the tool released in good shape regarding user friendliness and stability.

------------------
Kind Regards, Fred

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/03/04 03:42 AM

Hi Fred - Thank you for keeping us informed of your progress. I personally am looking forward to using the software - Joan

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/03/04 01:15 PM

To show you how the first release UI will look like I suggest you to visit the website

again. I have published some new screenshots and told a bit about new functionality.

------------------
Kind Regards, Fred

[This message has been edited by fmlk4u (edited 10-03-2004).]

[This message has been edited by fmlk4u (edited 10-03-2004).]

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/06/04 11:29 AM

Hello All,

With delight I like to announce the start of the new phase: beta testing has started and all looks promising. So I think I can also prepare for releasing. For international payment I have followed the recommendations from a friend in USA who did benchmark research on payment systems. He highly recommends StormPay. You can get a free account very easy:
http://www.stormpay.com/?183169
Posted by: Mike Daniell

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/06/04 07:15 PM

Fred,

You might want to compare those StormPay fees with PayPal - see https://www.paypal.com/row/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees

I have a Premier account with PayPal for software I have developed, and I am very satisfied with the arrangement.

btw, looking forward to your completed product.

Regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Daniell (edited 10-06-2004).]

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/07/04 04:23 AM

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your comments. I have both a StormPay and a PayPal account. However for me as European it is not economic to use two accounts for this product selling. So I like everybody reading this stay put and wait until my next message. Then very likely I have more positive news and tell about the financing procedure. You might be right and I might come back on this decision to use StormPay.

Now already a little bit of positive news: our beta tester owns SD Techmanager, which is not used very much. First evaluation results of our SD Explorer tool are "fabulous, great tool, after a few minutes of using it I already love it".

So soon I have more news, as I said.

------------------
Kind Regards, Fred

[This message has been edited by fmlk4u (edited 10-07-2004).]

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/23/04 08:01 AM

Subject: The Must-have tool for KN2600 and KN7000 owners* is released

Hello subscriber to my mail list,

Yes, the title may be bold. But it is literally quoted by our beta testers. First of all I like to thank the beta testers from the depth of my heart for their support, their friendship that we built and for making this release happening now. Without their testing the release would have been further delayed and less thoroughly tested. Read their testimonials below:

Testimonial 1
As a proud beta-tester of SDExplorer I'm pleased to see the publication of this nice program. SDExplorer is a must for all Technics KN7000 owners who use the SD-Card with the KN7000 and/or KN2600 keyboard. SDExplorer is just as easy to use as Windows Explorer, with copy/paste files, drag files, sort files, make new folders, delete folders, etc.
The "info file" KN7000/KN2600 uses is updated live, and the SD-Card is ready to use when you put it into your KN7000. Any SD-Card writer connected to your PC will work. This is what you have waited for.
Kenneth Gundersen, www.kn7000.net

Testimonial 2
SDExplorer - a really superb piece of software that is a pleasure to use.
This software has simplified the creation of new SD cards and transferring data between other cards. If you can manipulate data in Microsoft then you will have no trouble using this tool.
The SD-Card is ready to use when you put it into your KN7000. Any SD-Card writer connected to your PC will work. This software is what we have been waiting for.
Working on my PC I had three sources of data to copy/amalgamate - one folder on my PC and two separate SD cards in different USB ports and moved/copied them around in Windows.
I have no hesitation in recommending it.
Joan Banfield

Testimonial 3
I have owned every sxKN from the 800 to our great sxKN7000. All the great sounds and features make this the greatest ever. The SC card also has helped me in my performance because I use it professionally. I have purchased more cards than Joans and have been frustrated over the problems of "file management. There are so many things we can't do with Windows Explorer. My pleasant surprise is that I have been able to (1) RENAME (2) MOVE & COPY (3) BACKUP/RESTORE (3) IMPORT/EXPORT (4) SORT and last, and not least generate the index and print it of my song list in a nice rtf layout. My SD cards are at last let me organized the way I need them and this program is the answer to my prayers. I have no problem recommending that all the proud owners of the greatest Synth in the world, get this program.
Dewey Hodgkinson

Now go on and visit the site

http://KN-SDExplorer.has.it

[This message has been edited by fmlk4u (edited 10-23-2004).]
Posted by: larry gosmeyer

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/23/04 07:09 PM

Please let us know when your program is complete and ready to be downloaded and used.

Sounds great!!

Larry Gosmeyer

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/24/04 07:33 AM

Hi Larry,

Sorry, but a type in the URL link caused for short time the zip file to be downloaded. Now it works. The demo gives full functionality, however for a short period.
http://KN-SDExplorer.has.it/

Regards, Fred
Posted by: Marilyn Boissoneault

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/24/04 03:15 PM

Hi, I'd like to try your program, but I seem to have a problem. I downloaded the demo zip. It upzips to a file called SDExplorer.msi. Now what? I think I must need something else. Maybe I should know what it is, I guess I haven't followed all the conversation on the development of your program. I live in FL and had my mind on all the hurricanes that passed through my area....and haven't been following things as closely as I normally do.
I'd appreciate some help on how to get started.

Marilyn

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/24/04 11:12 PM

Hello,

Sometimes it's hard to explain otehrs what is obvious for yourself That is what happened to me.

It is simple: after unpacking the zip to msi file just double-click this file to start installation.

An msi-file is a default installation file, like sometimes exe is used for automatic unpacking and then installing.

------------------
Kind Regards, Fred

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/25/04 11:57 AM

Fred,

Gave her a test drive today and it is "WONDERFUL".
Being able to drag and drop folders and songs to new positions is great. I re-arranged my 128 completely in about a half hour. Doing this on the 7000 would have taken weeks.

Anyone with a 2600/7000 should spend the euro 39.95, register and if any blips show up we can all improve the program together.

Thanks for a great job at a very easy on the purse cost.

Fran in Florida

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/25/04 12:14 PM

message from Joan:
Hi there - I see you have a mention on the Synthzone. He is asking a question about Drives.

Am I right in thinking that unless you are newly installing the software when it asks you for the Card drive, the software will read another Card reader as it would any other drive and therefore just putting the card into the reader allows you to read it.

It is quite time consuming working from two USB drives. I have restored three different cards to three separate Windows folders and have selected/discarded to my satisfaction to another folder and then use backup to PC then restore just the completed data to new SD card. It may take some time for users to accept that it can be done that way.

It took some reasoning to realise that you don't have to restore to an SD card - You can restore to a Folder in Windows.

Its an all new ball game.

my comment:
Before installing the tool it is wise to plug in your reader and find out which drive letter it occupies. Then you can enter that letter when asked during install. And yes, when people learn to move songs and folders between SDCard and hard drive, then a lot more is easy to understand: you can backup but also restore on hard disk and then drag the folders you like from hard disk to an initialized SDCard. Some card readers are slow via USB, compared with harddisk. So you could then restore an sdb file to your hard disk., open an SDExplorer instance for it, reshuffle, rename, move, copy on hard disk whatever you like. You could even restoren another sdb file on another location on hard disk and then open a second SDExplorer instance for that song tree. Now you can selectively merge the two trees together until you have the result tree you want on SD card. To do this, you can initialize an SD Card and then drag the folders on the SD Card one by one. Or you make a backup of the merged song tree and restore it on the SD-card.....
Many ways to Rome

------------------
Kind Regards, Fred

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/28/04 03:08 AM

PayPal Problems

Hello all,

The launch/release of our tool started successful. However after the first three days suddenly there was a hickup: suddenly it seemed that obtaining the license by PayPal payment fails. "Luckily" some of you notified that to me by email. So I submitted several complaints to PayPal.

One of the problems can be your email address. Occasionally I get postmaster delivery error messages when I tried to reply email to people who registered. Because of privacy reasons I cannot list the email addresses that don't work. So be sure that you use a proper email address that works.

I also noticed that many people do multiple registrations. I assume that they retry the purchasing. Therefore I have created a new "Buy Now" button directly on the "home page". So now you can retry the PayPal procedure without having to register again.
But also becasue the button is on the main page instead of re-directed page, I hope that PayPal process is now successful. We have to see....

Please send me email if you tried to purchase the license via this new button and think it didn't work. Maybe you can also file a complaint at PayPal, because it's their fault that after three days suddenly the system doesn't work anymore!!!

Thanks for your cooperation. I dearly hope that it works again. In the mean time we work on enhancements, tutorial page with FAQ and tips and tricks.

------------------
Kind Regards, Fred
Posted by: Sapphire

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/28/04 08:50 AM

Fred
I have used and registered SD-Explorer and it really is an absolute must for anyone with aTechnics and an SD card. Well worth the registration fee.
However, I may have found a small problem. When I filled a 128Mb card all the folders and styles etc. could be accessed on the KN7000 as normal but not in alphabet mode. I left the card in the slot and saved in technics format which cured the problem completely. Is this a problem with the software or do you expect it to perform this way.
I know this sounds like I am complaining but I am not. SD-Explorer is worth every cent and more if only for the time it saves.

Alan

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/28/04 09:29 AM

Reply from PayPal

For all who have difficulty making the purchase of the license, here is a reply I got on one of my 5 complaints

Dear Fred Mellink,

Thank you for contacting PayPal. We apologize for the delay in
responding to your service request.

If your customers are having trouble sending you payments, more than
likely the problem is regarding their account and not yours. Please
advise those that are having problems to contact PayPal so we can
better assist them with their problems.

Thanks again for writing, and thank you for being part of the PayPal
community.

PayPal (Europe) Limited is authorized and regulated by the Financial
Services Authority in the United Kingdom as an electronic money
institution.

Sincerely,
Dennis
PayPal, an eBay Company

------------------
Kind Regards, Fred

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/28/04 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sapphire:
Fred
I have used and registered SD-Explorer and it really is an absolute must for anyone with aTechnics and an SD card. Well worth the registration fee.
However, I may have found a small problem. When I filled a 128Mb card all the folders and styles etc. could be accessed on the KN7000 as normal but not in alphabet mode. I left the card in the slot and saved in technics format which cured the problem completely. Is this a problem with the software or do you expect it to perform this way.
I know this sounds like I am complaining but I am not. SD-Explorer is worth every cent and more if only for the time it saves.

Alan

Hi there - the problem with not being able to select alphabetically can be got round by taking the SD to the KN7 - renaming just one song and you should find that the rest of the names appear also. This worked for me and I passed this on to one other person who also informed it worked on their PC too. Joan
Posted by: Bill Norrie

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/28/04 10:58 AM

That response from Paypal does look very helpful - I have contacted them three times now about trouble I am experiencing with my original account. They did not even have the decency to reply to my emails.
I had to open another account in order to purchase Fred's program.
I am not impressed with Paypal's customer service.........

------------------
Willum

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/28/04 02:31 PM

Who knows a working alternative for PayPal. After the launch we had two and a half, almost three successful days, and now SUDDENLY almost four days, no new customer.... but several emails of people who are eager to get their license, but found PayPal difficulties. Nut I must also say that several emails from registrations didn't work either. I got several postmaster delivery errors, very often with AOL or AOL related accounts. So I am not sure what goes wrong. If I knew I would fix it. Just sent another complaint to PayPal.
Posted by: Kenneth Gundersen

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/29/04 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joan:
Hi there - the problem with not being able to select alphabetically can be got round by taking the SD to the KN7 - renaming just one song and you should find that the rest of the names appear also. This worked for me and I passed this on to one other person who also informed it worked on their PC too. Joan

Hi all,

I have also had problems with the "Alphabetical load". I will try to do what you tell Joan, but I think this is a little "bug" that should be fixed.

Anyways; the KN-SDExplorer is a great program and a "must have".

Kind regards
Ken www.kn7000.net

[This message has been edited by Kenneth Gundersen (edited 10-29-2004).]

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/29/04 04:59 AM

Hi there Kenneth - the alpha problem I have just tested again on a new SD card - Once I renamed one song in a folder the rest of them do appear on my KN7 Joan
Posted by: John North

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/29/04 06:30 AM

Hi Kenneth
I passed details of this problem on to Fred a few days ago (24th) and he is looking into it. I'm sure this and any other little 'bugs' will be fixed when an update is in released. The program really is excellent and I think we all need to be patient whilst it is 'fine tuned'

In the meantime Joan's method is a simple way of correcting the alphabet problem.
John
Posted by: roger brandon bradbury

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/29/04 02:03 PM

Quote:
Hello KN-players,

Kindest Regards, Fred

looking forward to your new tool more info please roger bradbury

------------------
rog.
Posted by: John Barr

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/29/04 02:35 PM

Quote:
[b]PayPal Problems

Hello all,

The launch/release of our tool started successful. However after the first three days suddenly there was a hickup: suddenly it seemed that obtaining the license by PayPal payment fails. "Luckily" some of you notified that to me by email. So I submitted several complaints to PayPal.

One of the problems can be your email address. Occasionally I get postmaster delivery error messages when I tried to reply email to people who registered. Because of privacy reasons I cannot list the email addresses that don't work. So be sure that you use a proper email address that works.

I also noticed that many people do multiple registrations. I assume that they retry the purchasing. Therefore I have created a new "Buy Now" button directly on the "home page". So now you can retry the PayPal procedure without having to register again.
But also becasue the button is on the main page instead of re-directed page, I hope that PayPal process is now successful. We have to see....

Please send me email if you tried to purchase the license via this new button and think it didn't work. Maybe you can also file a complaint at PayPal, because it's their fault that after three days suddenly the system doesn't work anymore!!!

Thanks for your cooperation. I dearly hope that it works again. In the mean time we work on enhancements, tutorial page with FAQ and tips and tricks.

[/B]
Hi Fred, Paypal worked just fine as did your Buy Now button, Many Thanks Johnny B

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 10/29/04 02:53 PM

Hello John,

Thanks for telling However I published the PayPal troubles story, because very sudden after three 'successful' days no new customers came in, but several emails of registered people who want to make the payment but had lots of troubles. For private reasons I don't want to give names here. But most of them were Synthzone "members". And when you consider that after the start of this development I built up a maillist of interested to very interested people and at realease last weekend I had more than 60 on the list that I sent the release announcement. So when during 4 days no new customers while first three days were steady growing numbers (although very modest). So you might understand my concern, even bit of frustration.

------------------
Kind Regards, Fred

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 11/03/04 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth Gundersen:
Hi all,

I have also had problems with the "Alphabetical load". I will try to do what you tell Joan, but I think this is a little "bug" that should be fixed.

Anyways; the KN-SDExplorer is a great program and a "must have".

Kind regards
Ken www.kn7000.net

[This message has been edited by Kenneth Gundersen (edited 10-29-2004).]

With delight I can tell you that probably before the weekend we have a new version with successful alphabetical searching! It was tough to find out how it works and Gert Jan did a great job. A pity that so few people recognize our tool as great. Next project will be to try and make it Windows ME/98 compatible. That will be even a hard issue: first getting a proper PC to test/debug on. And I sometimes wonder whether it is workth it. How many people still use these old systems. And it is a lot of work.
Regards, Fred

[This message has been edited by fmlk4u (edited 11-03-2004).]

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 11/04/04 05:38 AM

Fred-I'm one of those who are waiting for an update to the program so it can be used on my desktop WINME O.S. Right now it is useless. Hurry please. P.S.--works great on the notebook with XP, but that's not where I need it. Dick Bergin

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 11/04/04 07:13 AM

Hello Dick,

Hurry is not the right word here. For the last weeks I haven been working every evening till after midnight, and my partner too. However AVAILBILITY is more the issue. How do we get a PC with WinME for testing and debugging. That is the hard job. We can only do our best.

------------------
Kind Regards, Fred

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 11/04/04 07:25 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply Fred. Haste makes waste, so take your time and do a good job. I still have the laptop to work with and have been toying with upgrading the ME to XP, but then again, " if it ain't broke, don't fix it ". Dick B

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 11/09/04 03:11 PM

Hello,

Some news:
1. At the moment we are working on version 1.10, which will be Win98 WinME compatible, have the bug fixed regarding alphabetical searching and having a progressbar during the Verify process when starting the KN-SDExplorer tool for a large SD Card, to make things more intuitive.

2. For your convenience and my ease I have started creating an FAQ site:

http://members.chello.nl/~f.mellink/FAQ.html

------------------
Kind Regards, Fred

[This message has been edited by fmlk4u (edited 11-09-2004).]

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 11/12/04 11:59 AM

Hello all,

So sorry to say, but the problems for Win98 compatibility are larger than expected. Microsoft has very bad documented the old OS's and don't given any support anymore. The problems are with the copy and move action. when a song is sent from source to target, target sends message to source: "received" However the files of the song are still underway." This results in corrupt SD Cards. So we need more time for it. We posted question on the MS developers forum. Hopefully we get help from somebody.
The other option is to release the 1.10 version as Windows 2000/XP update, but I wonder if that is wise....

------------------
Kind Regards, Fred

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 11/16/04 11:27 AM

WANTED: Windows 98/ME tester for our tool.

Hello,

We have made our KN-SDExplorer tool compatible with Windows 98 and ME, but with some remarks:
First of all the Win98 PC must have a SD Card reader properly connected so that the contents of an SD Card (PRIVATE\TECHNICS\KN7000...) is already visible via Windows Explorer.
Secondly the Copy and Move actions are not 100% secure, becasue of wierd timing problems. We seek solution for this via forums on the web. Microsoft's documentation is poor and inconsistent. So we got stuck a bit.

Now we seek somebody who has proper knowledge about PC usage, who is able to do some structured testing on Win98/ME and report results clearly. We developed in a VMWare Win98 environment and I hope the timing problems are due to this virtual machine. It is not likely, but we want to make sure. If you see it a challenge to do compatibility testing, let me know and we can discuss it further:
mailto:fmlk@chello.nl?Subject=Win98_testing_SDExplorer

THANKS

------------------
Kind Regards, Fred

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 11/17/04 10:32 AM

NOTE!!! NOTE!!! NOTE!!! NOTE!!!

For Payment is has become clear that for you and us PayPal is the cheapest solution. Direct bank transfer means 30% on bank fees. That is ridiculous!!!

However I hope to have made it easier. For those of you who didn't know: my account at PayPal is such that you don't need to take a (FREE) account at PayPal.

You can make direct payment with credit card.

Moreover we are thinking of delaying further development to version 2 with real new features until we have a much better "installed base of customers". Maybe we are in 2005 also raising the price a bit. After some research I estimated much more customers, based on responses by email, than we realy have served.

Yesterday a new update, version 1.10 is sent to all customers with Release Notes and the demoversion of this build will soon be downloable on the website http://kn-sdexplorer.has.it .

------------------
Kind Regards, Fred

[This message has been edited by fmlk4u (edited 11-18-2004).]

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 11/26/04 02:44 PM

SAD ANNOUNCEMENT

Unfortunately I have a sad message to tell. Gert Jan's little son has small poks and both Gert Jan have side effects of it.

Moreover we are both tired, very, very busy at work... and a bit disppointed too: No feedback about 1.10 update, no customers coming in anymore, some emails with questions, mainly because of ignorance, not reading FAQ, or tutorial page via http://kn-sdexplorer.has.it

And last but not least some private problems, some financial some emotional are also in effect.

So the sad message is that further development of the tool, like supporting Cusotme Style files and MIDI, is delayed until at least beginning 2005.

I hope by that time we have also the solution for Windows 98 compatibility which is also a pian in the ass. And I hope we have become some more customers by then.

------------------
Kind Regards, Fred
Posted by: Bill Norrie

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 11/27/04 01:05 AM

Hi Fred,
Sorry to hear about all the problems. I wish you, your friend and his family well and hope the problems disappear soon. I know exactly what you mean about pressure at work - I experienced it for many years and am very glad to be rid of it now.......
I haven't made much use of SD Explorer, with the latest update at present, but it seems to be working OK.

------------------
Willum

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 01/24/05 01:12 PM

Hi Bill,

Thanks for you message. We now work low-profile on an update. Maybe somewhere in 2005 we come with release 2.0 with MIDI and/or CST support. And maybe Win98 support, although that doesn't look promising, because MicroSoft doesn't give any support on this old OS and no SW developer is interested anymore either. Linux is more interesting for most of them.

Regards, Fred
http://www.kn7000.net/Fred_Mellink

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 01/27/05 01:21 PM

Hello all,

I like to share with you the comment of a recent customer. Of course I like to keep the name anonymous since I didn't ask permission. But I am enthusiast to tell you:

"Thank you for sending the registration so promptly. It took a long time to figure out how to make paypal work on my computer, but I finally got it to send the payment. The paypal help menu tells how to set Internet Explorer to accept cookies from paypal. Installing the registration was easy, and everything is working fine.
I've used the SD Explorer program on the limited basis for several days, and it has made it possible to transfer many styles and songs to SD cards that I downloaded from the internet over the last year. This has made it possible to finally use them on my KN7000, and will give me a lot of enjoyment. Thanks for your great program; evey KN7000 owner should have it.
I've also enjoyed looking at your vision4life website. You have achieved a lot in life. And most important of all are your Christian endeavors."

Regards, Fred
http://www.kn7000.net/Fred_Mellink
Posted by: etwo4788

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 01/28/05 12:58 PM

FRED....Please do not get discouraged about your program.....I want it & will get it as soon as I return to my home base..

Right now I am on the desert in my RV...my only home...out near Yuma, AZ.....I drive a 45 mile round trip to get to an internet cafe about once/week.....

By the first of May I will be back in S.E. New Mexico at my "home base" RV park.....I will get back to you about your program then....I think I have installed the "trial download" of the program......

BEBOP....Keep in touch....I hope for the opportunity to connect with you on your way to the FL jam.....I will keep in touch & continue to hope that you are interested.....

HAPPY TRAILS!

LOVE, LIGHT, HUGS, & HARMONY....ELIZABETH EVELYN...
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 01/28/05 03:14 PM

Hi Fred
I might be banished for suggesting this but,time is money and fair is fair.

Many programs like Band-in-a box,Powertracs,etc,,come out with upgraded versions, and charge an upgrade fee. I think it only fair to do the same.

I would pay to have Midi capability.

Just a thought.
Bernie

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 02/09/05 12:19 PM

Hello All,

Here is an email I received yesterday from a customer, which I like to share with you:

I thought you would like to know that for some unknown reason the 'Sort' etc., is no longer greyed out and I have been able to use it nearly all day and boy! am I impressed.

I have a 2 x 32mb, 64mb, 2 x 128mb and a 256mb card all are full except the 256 which still has a few more folders to go (there are 95 showing at the moment and it doesn't tell me it's full yet) so I have spent most of today, sorting and printing each folder - it is so quick compared to the way I was trying to achieve an index. Until today, I would put in an SD into the KN7000, load it and using the 'tools' part I would laboriously type out the name and number of the folder and all the files contained therein. Whereas your marvellous tool has just completed one of the 128mb cards in less than an hour and has given me 11 pages ready to print all laid out as per my folders and files PLUS they are all now alphabetically sorted. It will certainly help me with your project as I know some of the styles I like and mostly where to find them but normally, I would have to load and look at each file to do this but now I will be able to check my Index. Wonderful! I am really pleased. - as I said before you and your friend should be proud of yourselves. Now all I have to do is figure out how to merge them all. I'll keep you posted on that one.

Thought it encouraging for us, to let you know.

Regards, Fred (http://fred.kn7000.net)

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 02/10/05 10:30 AM

GREAT NEWS from PayPal !!!

PayPal introduces an improved customer checkout

PayPal is excited to introduce an improved customer checkout to help you provide your customers with a better payment experience:

PayPal no longer requires your new buyers to sign up for PayPal accounts before making payments!

Buyers who visit your website can pay for an item without signing up to PayPal. Once the payment is complete, they can decide whether to save their information and sign up to PayPal for future purchases.

What are your benefits?

These improvements mean more completed sales, and higher customer satisfaction.
This new streamlined checkout is already available, so you don't need to do anything to make it happen.
This allows you to continue getting paid with PayPal even though your customers do not have a PayPal account yet.
This fast, new checkout applies to the following website payment types: Buy Now Buttons, Donations, and PayPal Shopping Carts. You can use it under the Request Money tab, too.
Learn more about PayPal's new checkout.

Or, if you have not yet taken advantage of PayPal's Website Payments, click here.

Yours sincerely

PayPal

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 04/18/05 01:44 PM

SAD NEWS

The market for our tool KN-SDexplorer seems to be saturated. That means that no new version will likely follow. For the current customers I hope that we can come up with one more update with some extra functionality. However enthusiasm is cooled off, because no customers arrive anymore. I am sorry to make this conclusion. I prefer to spend more time on making music and building my website further, than on the tool and what comes with it regarding effort.

Kind regards, Fred
http://fred.kn7000.net

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 04/18/05 03:35 PM

Hi Fred - I thank you and Jan Gert most sincerely for the tremendous effort that you put into developing the SDExplorer tool. It is a tremendous piece of software. You can be justly proud of it.

Joan

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 04/19/05 05:31 AM

Fred,

Joan is correct. It is a great tool. If it were around when the 7000 first hit the street every owner would have one.

I talked to many at the Jam and most had it but there are a few others that may be in contact with you.

Fran in Florida

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 04/24/05 01:42 PM

Hello All

Thsi reply om my thread is to tell you that from tomorrow on I will be on vacation until May-17. This means that until then I am not able to send out SD-Explorer licenses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

For the info about the tool you can visit the pages also on my new site, incl. guestbook:
http://www.vision-4-life.net

or direct http://vision-4-life.net/SDExplorer.htm

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 06/02/05 02:21 PM

Sad news.

After a long quiet period with hardly any new customers we see some sudden increase of interested people. However there is another epidemic of PayPal.

Again PayPal process fails and I submitted three complaints and didn't get any feedback.

I am really fed up. We are still working on a new version, but it is hard to estimate release date. I will keep you posted.
Posted by: ashboe

Re: The KN-SD-Explorer Development progress - 06/03/05 02:47 AM

This tool is great. I particularly like the back up and restore function.
So easy with one click, makes managing different projects and revisiting old ones a breeze.