new 7k system at Taiyo

Posted by: technicsplayer

new 7k system at Taiyo - 09/30/03 06:05 AM

for those of you who upgraded to the Taiyo 1.5 system, they have just posted a 1.6 that corrects the bugs in 1.5 that were not there before
Posted by: KeithB

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 09/30/03 06:28 AM

Hi
Downloaded 1.6, tested two disks, all OK, then installed and it hung up on Disk2 (chattered with a disk seek). Not a good feeling. Decided to switch off. Downloaded Disk 2 again, and started a second install, and God Bless Me, it worked. One very apprehensive keyboard player here!!
I must stop getting sucked in by the latest and greatest (see post elsewhere about vocalisers).
Good night from Australia
Keith

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 09/30/03 06:47 AM

ALWAYS check the disks in the 7000 before performing the upgrade

Personally I only see a need to risk upgrade if a reliable source has described a concrete reason or bug fix that improves a function that you make use of. If you can't tell any difference afterwards, what's the point? If you've introduced new bugs even rather less point
Posted by: Douglas Dean

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 09/30/03 08:07 AM

Logic and desire are always fighting one another. Logic is very useful and rewards one well. Desire is very strong and domineering, suppressing logic and robbing one of genuine rewards many times. Anyway Alec, I do appreciate your logic in approaching the wisdom of system upgrades. My first introduction of the rarity of logic was when I married Ruthie. Taking note, I looked around and soon found out pretty girls run on a different system. In doing my best to upgrade her logic area it soon became evident there was no slot to introduce any into her. So using my logic I found it logical to accept her illogical approach and to live with her desires and make the best of it. That logic worked out very well so now I use logic to temper desire rather than try to overcome it. Plenty of room now for understanding and love to flourish with Ruthie and me. So also on these forums. However I still dig your logic.

Grandpa Doug
Posted by: Mike ORegan

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 09/30/03 08:17 AM

Just upgraded my 7000 to 1.6 - no problem, as usual. It's nice to keep up-to-date, especially when it doesn't cost anything!
One little tip for "upgraders": Give your diskettes a FULL FORMAT before loading the upgrade - even if they are new and supposedly pre-formatted. You should then have no problems with corrupt diskettes.
Mike O'R (great-grandfather)

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 09/30/03 09:05 AM

maybe I should have explained that 1.6 fixes bugs in the unofficial 1.5 that were not there in the official 1.4
Posted by: ogre

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 09/30/03 10:32 AM

I seem to remember that Technics were going to publish an update(s) on the kn7000.com site. What happened to that?

Ogre
Posted by: Bill Norrie

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 09/30/03 04:27 PM

Maybe they didn't publish it because they knew it had BUGS
I'm still happy with 1.3

------------------
Willum
Posted by: lahawk

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 09/30/03 06:26 PM

Hi All,

Can anyone give me examples of reported bugs ?

Thank you
Larry Hawk
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 09/30/03 07:54 PM

I can tell you that my new KN7000 that I got recently came with v 1.4.
Just recently Eddie Williams sent me V1.5 which I installed without problem.
Eddie emailed me the two discs.
Thanks Again Eddie
Best to all
Bebop

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/01/03 03:09 AM

Larry, Taiyo say that 1.5 crashed the 7000 frequently if you have one or more EW boards installed.

quote:
Wer regelmäßig unsere Homepage besucht, hat sicherlich bereits gemerkt, dass wir die Version 1.5 nicht mehr zum Download angeboten hatten. Mit der Version 1.5 gab es häufig Abstürze beim KN7000, wenn ein oder mehrere EW-Erweiterungsboards eingabut waren.
unquote.
Posted by: Bill Norrie

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/01/03 07:37 AM

Translation (Literal) but understandable
"Who visits regularly our homepage, surely already it noticed that we had not offered the version 1.5 to no more for the Download. With the version there were 1.5 frequently crashes with the KN7000, if one or more EW Expansion boards were fitted.

------------------
Willum
Posted by: Douglas Dean

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/01/03 08:10 AM

Great Grandfather Mike, glad you never invested in any EW Expansion boards, eh what? I got those boards and Ruthie would have had to wash my mouth out with soap.

Grandpa Doug

[This message has been edited by Douglas Dean (edited 10-01-2003).]
Posted by: Johnnie.c

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/01/03 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike ORegan:
Just upgraded my 7000 to 1.6 - no problem, as usual. It's nice to keep up-to-date, especially when it doesn't cost anything!
One little tip for "upgraders": Give your diskettes a FULL FORMAT before loading the upgrade - even if they are new and supposedly pre-formatted. You should then have no problems with corrupt diskettes.
Mike O'R (great-grandfather)

OK tell us all!
What improvements has 1.6 made to your KN7000 other than fix the bugs in the unofficial 1.5 from Tayio that Panasonic are adamant that they will not support any resulting keyboard problems.

surely logic would tell you that if the KN7000 required an upgrade then they Panasonic would take the appropriate action
Posted by: KeithB

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/01/03 04:47 PM

Curious, I had v1.5 installed and Expansion Card EW04, but never had a crash, but now on to v1.6, so we will see. I do have an odd hangup of all voices after playing some downloaded sequences and have to restart to regain the voices. Maybe that is a crash?
Not sure if I have this with v1.6, will test later.
Keith
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/01/03 09:12 PM

Hi,
strange, I've got all 4 boards installed, and to date ( touch wood) , I haven't had my kn crash. I nstalled 1.5 when it first came out. Maybe I've just been lucky.

best wishes
Rikki
Posted by: waterschip

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/02/03 02:34 AM

[QUOTE]....r than fix the bugs in the unofficial 1.5 from Tayio....
surely logic would tell you that if the KN7000 required an upgrade then they Panasonic would take the appropriate action
/QUOTE]
So for those who still think that Taiyo Germany has nothing to do with Panasonic(Technics)are wrong. The don't send out unofficial material. Than the guy Bebop got his 1.5. version in the U.S. is an unofficial dealer too??
rgds.
Willem

[This message has been edited by waterschip (edited 10-02-2003).]
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/02/03 07:15 AM

I got my 1.5 upgrade from Eddie Williams who is the United States official representative and employee of Panasonic Technics. He snail mailed them to me because of the possibility of corruption when downloaded.
NO PROBLEMS with the upgrade from the v 1.4 that the keyboard was shipped with.
thanks Eddie Williams.
Bebop

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/02/03 08:42 AM

Taiyo have posted systems not signed off for general release in the past, and that is why any problems arising from installing one of their systems will not be supported in other regions.

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/02/03 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by waterschip:
[QUOTE]....r than fix the bugs in the unofficial 1.5 from Tayio....
/QUOTE]
So for those who still think that Taiyo Germany has nothing to do with Panasonic(Technics)are wrong. The don't send out unofficial material. Than the guy Bebop got his 1.5. version in the U.S. is an unofficial dealer too??
rgds.
Willem
[This message has been edited by waterschip (edited 10-02-2003).]

Panasonic UK & Panasonic USA have both publicly stated that they will not support any KN7000 keyboards that have been upgraded from the Tayio site.
Now these statements bring to question the validity of the ugrade that was sent to bebop by an official of Panasonic USA who may have downloaded the upgrade from Tayio

To date there has not been an upgrade for the KN7000 available from Matsushita Panasonic the parent company Japan to any of it's divisions around the world of which Tayio is not one

Panasonic Europe (which also covers Germany) is owned & run by Panasonic http://www.panasonic-europe.com/
Panasonic UK is owned & run by Panasonic http://www.panasonic.co.uk/index.html
Panasonic USA is owned & run by Panasonic http://www.panasonic.com/flash.html
Tayio is owned & run by Tayio

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/02/03 03:01 PM

Hi,
Panasonic Australia also had 1.5 on their site.
Makes you wonder what's going on.

best wishes
Rikki

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/02/03 11:47 PM

All this stuff about upgrades will come as no surprise to long-term Technics users. I have owned:
KN 1200
KN 2000
KN 3000
KN 5000
KN 7000
To my knowledge there have been (Technics) upgrades since the days of the 2000, although with the early models these involved actually swapping EPROMs. Again, from the earliest days, Technics have been reluctant to admit to any upgrades. Dealers were (I am told) instructed to play down the existence of upgrades unless specifically asked by customers. I have never been able to understand this attitude. With regard to the KN 7000, where the operating system is DESIGNED to be upgraded (being on EEPROM), it seems that only the German distributors are willing to release upgrades. Now either these are "official" Technics upgrades or they are not. If they are not, has Technics/Panasonic seen fit to at least admonish Taiyo for "jumping the gun". If they are then why are they not on general release? Curiouser and curiouser, nicht wahr?
Mike O'R

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/03/03 05:54 AM

[QUOTE]To day there has not been an upgrade for the KN7000 available from Matsushita Panasonic the parent company Japan to any of it's divisions around the world of which Tayio is not one. Panasonic Europe (which also covers Germany) is owned & run by Panasonic
[b][QUOTE]

This means I and the German technicsplayers own a unofficial keyboard.

I (the Netherlands) didn't buy my keyboard from Panasonic Europe. The mean dealer in Holland is Haagtechno just like in Germany it is Taiyo.
They distribute the boards to musicstores where you as a customer can buy it.

The Dutch dealer Haagtechno never distribute a update I have to ask forit at the musicstore I buy my keyboard. Something Mike Oregan tells in his story.
So I use the Taiyo site for my updates and other news and style discs they produce.

rgds.
Willem

[This message has been edited by waterschip (edited 10-03-2003).]

Posted by: Jarmo

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/03/03 06:04 AM

I'm 100% sure that all releases 1.4 thru 1.6 are coming from Panasonic. Taiyo has no knowledge to disassemble KN7000 program code and make own code changes except some German word-to-word changes in Help-section.

I think that Panasonic UK and Panasonic USA doesn't like Taiyo's way to release updates public web-pages and therefore saying not to support it.

I personally like Taiyo's way to release updates when they are ready. Everyone can then make own decision, upgrade or not.

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/03/03 06:31 AM

Naturally major updates come from Panasonic, but that has nothing to do with whether they are signed off for general release. Updates have been made for single users with one particular problem with their external equipment. That is not to say that that particular fix should be availble for other owners without that specific equipment, where it might introduce other unwanted consequences that were never intended.

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/03/03 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
Naturally major updates come from Panasonic, but that has nothing to do with whether they are signed off for general release. Updates have been made for single users with one particular problem with their external equipment. That is not to say that that particular fix should be availble for other owners without that specific equipment, where it might introduce other unwanted consequences that were never intended.

OK so lets have a little reprise here
1. bebop receives an upgrade from an official of Technics USA
2. did bebop have a particular problem with his keyboard that required him to receive this upgrade
3. has anybody else in the USA received an upgrade from Technics USA
4. it would seem that in this thread the people that have downloaded an upgrade from Tayio are delighted so can one or more of them tell us what problem-s or bugs it has fixed to make them appear to be so pleased

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/03/03 12:20 PM

Now I REALLY AM CONFUSED!! Anyone else for the funny farm?
Mike O'R
Posted by: bassclef

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/03/03 04:24 PM

For those of you who are brave enough and interested in upgrading (after all the foregoing confusion) to Ver 1.5, the applicable files are STILL (as of today)available for free download from the Australian Panasonic site.

I noticed that rikki mentioned this before in this thread, but the use of past tense in that post may be interpreted by some as an indication that the files are no longer there.

Good luck
George

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/03/03 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi,
Panasonic Australia also had 1.5 on their site.(whoops, should read HAS, thank you George)
Makes you wonder what's going on.

best wishes
Rikki
Posted by: kozykeys

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/05/03 01:15 PM

hi
the upgrade downloads are still on the aussie site but unless you have an aussie post code youcannot download the files
I have also visited the uk panasonic site
and they seem to deny any knowledge of any product with the sx kn7000 tag let alone have any upgraades for it

jan

[This message has been edited by kozykeys (edited 10-05-2003).]

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/05/03 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kozykeys:
[B]hi
the upgrade downloads are still on the aussie site but unless you have an aussie post code youcannot download the files
I have also visited the uk panasonic site
and they seem to deny any knowledge of any product with the sx kn7000 tag let alone have any upgraades for it

jan B]

If you was to go to the the correct link on the home page you would find it but to make it easy for you it is here http://www.panasonic.co.uk/technics-keyboards/index.htm

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/06/03 01:01 AM

Thanx, Johnnie, for pointing out a REALLY UP-TO-DATE site. I especially like the bit about "operating system on flash EPROM easily upgraded by the user". Oh, silly me, it ain't there. What a surprise!!
Mike O'R

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/06/03 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike ORegan:
Thanx, Johnnie, for pointing out a REALLY UP-TO-DATE site. I especially like the bit about "operating system on flash EPROM easily upgraded by the user". Oh, silly me, it ain't there. What a surprise!!
Mike O'R

I see that you have escaped from the funny farm again then and also admit to being silly still,I suppose that's to be expected especially after plugging the 1.5 upgrade from the German site considering it was full of bugs

Re: new 7k system at Taiyo - 10/08/03 02:27 AM

For those who will download the new update from Taiyo and have a plug-in from Keysoft pay attention to the message from Taiyo.
they have to go to the keysoft-site to get their new kn7 v 1.6 update there.

Also a update for the KN2400 and KN2600 at the Taiyo site now version 1.1

rgds.
Willem

[This message has been edited by waterschip (edited 10-08-2003).]