price sd 512mb memory cards..

Posted by: Alain

price sd 512mb memory cards.. - 03/27/02 08:10 AM

I searched on the internet to find the price off the sd 512 memory card from panasonic that will be used with the kn7000.
The price is : 549,95 Us Dollars.
I find this very expensive...I thought it would be much cheaper than the harddisk.
Greetings,
Alain
Posted by: Richard Bools

Re: price sd 512mb memory cards.. - 03/27/02 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alain:
I searched on the internet to find the price off the sd 512 memory card from panasonic that will be used with the kn7000.
The price is : 549,95 Us Dollars.
I find this very expensive...I thought it would be much cheaper than the harddisk.
Greetings,
Alain

Granted that this is a lot of money, but on the other hand, how much space do people who have SX3/6 hard drives actually use on them? Its all very well having several gigabytes of capacity available, but is any more than a small fraction ever utilised? I reckon that any advance that removes possibly unreliable mechanical components from the system is worth doing.

Richard.
Posted by: technicsplayer

Re: price sd 512mb memory cards.. - 03/27/02 10:58 AM

read http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/000503.html and these questions about the cards have already been answered.

A 1 GB card is due to be released this year.

In terms of technics format these sizes are purely academic. Most owners will fit their entire collections of songs and floppies on one 32 or 64 or 128 MB card.

The only reason to have more is to download an entire CD of digital audio at Red Book Standard on to the card to listen on the 7000...
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: price sd 512mb memory cards.. - 03/27/02 07:27 PM

The hard drive that has all my music on it only totals 320 MB. It has over 6000 songs on it from all formats except raw wav for recording cd's that are on another hard drive. This is a 15 year collection. I would never consider having that all available for the keyboard as many are just archived for requests. 512Mb would be a lot of memory for our purpose.
BEBOP
Posted by: Bob Hendershot

Re: price sd 512mb memory cards.. - 03/27/02 08:06 PM

I agree. I can't imagine myself needing more than about 128Meg unless I was storing digital audio files.

Re: price sd 512mb memory cards.. - 03/28/02 04:24 AM

if that's all you have Bill, it will easily fit on a 128 card if you save it all in 6000 format and particularly fill the sequencer with multiple songs and midis.

Re: price sd 512mb memory cards.. - 03/28/02 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
if that's all you have Bill, it will easily fit on a 128 card if you save it all in 6000 format and particularly fill the sequencer with multiple songs and midis.

Thanks Alec for that bit of information. I hadn't thought of that. That is really good to know.
Happy Easter Season to ALL
BEBOP
Posted by: Alain

Re: price sd 512mb memory cards.. - 03/28/02 12:30 PM

Hello,
Thanks for the reply.
I hope I will have enough with 128mb or 258 mb.
I have until now 300 disks ( 3000 songs) in technics format for the kn6000/6500. All sequencer files.
I have a kn6500 with a hdsx6 with three partitions and now I have on each partition 800 mb free.
Maybe I will not need the Sd memory cards if I connect my kn7000 to my Pc through the usb card.
I now have a backup with the program hd techmanager 6000 on my harddisk from my Pc.
I just wonder if it will be possible to load the files that are on the backup on my pc to the kn7000.
Every file ( every song) is linked to a specific disk.....will I see the link when I load this in the kn7000 or will it be better to have a Sd memory card.
I would like to be prepared.
Thanks a lot and a happy Eastern to you all,
Alain

[This message has been edited by Alain (edited 03-28-2002).]
Posted by: Crysyl

Re: price sd 512mb memory cards.. - 03/29/02 03:50 AM

Hello,
I think when the 1,024 MB SD-Card will be available, the 512 MB Card will become much cheaper.
Best regards

Re: price sd 512mb memory cards.. - 03/29/02 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crysyl:
Hello,
I think when the 1,024 MB SD-Card will be available, the 512 MB Card will become much cheaper.
Best regards

Hi Crysyl,
Welcome to the Technics Forum.
I agree with what you posted here, although memory tends to go up and down in price with supply and demand. I have seen 30 and 50 % here in silicone valley where they manufacture a lot of it, within the same month.
You have a great website. We all are greatful for your sharing of Technics Materials.

------------------
BEBOP
Moderator SynthZone TECHNICS FORUM
http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=25
Bill Forrest in SAN JOSE, CALIF. USA
bforrest@ix.netcom.com ICQ # 562519
Homepage http://members.fortunecity.com/bebop1

Re: price sd 512mb memory cards.. - 03/29/02 11:00 AM

You are talking about price variations in computer ram memory, this is totally different and not comparable to flash cards, the subject under discussion. I have never seen flash card prices vary by 50% in a month due to supply and demand.

Flash prices have not fallen as fast as they could have because of market contraction due to the collapse of the technology dot com bubble. This is being corrected this year hopefully.

The flash card market is driven by MP3 Cell Phones, Camcorders, Digital Cameras, and increasingly Bluetooth technology.

SD cards are the newest entrant in the field. The 256 and 512 cards have a data transfer rate of 10 MB/sec at the moment, perhaps 5 times faster than the smaller cards. The 1 GB card due second half of 2002 will double this speed to 20 MB/sec. 2 GB is projected for 2003 and 4 GB for 2004.
Posted by: Bud Whipple

Re: price sd 512mb memory cards.. - 04/02/02 10:02 AM

Compact flash memory cards can be found on internet auctions from time to time, and since they come directly from the manufacturer, they are strictly unused. A 256 meg card like I use in my digital camera cost less than $100, including s&h, and retail for more than $300 in area stores. These cards will hold 177 3.3megapixel shots, so a 1gig memory card in the new kn7k will hold more than I will ever put on it, and once the competition finds out Panasonic has a new market, the prices will eventually drop. This is a super way to store data and I wish it could have been available on the kn6k series. I know compact flash memory is a different technology, but let's hope the new cards will follow the same pricing structure.

[This message has been edited by Bud Whipple (edited 04-02-2002).]

Re: price sd 512mb memory cards.. - 04/02/02 03:32 PM

Hi Bud, unfortunately SD cards are more expensive than compact flash at the moment, since they are the newest format to be launched.

My last 256 MB compact flash was $99. Lately they were down to $80 and that was retail, over the net, not from any auction.