No More Technics (continued)

Posted by: Ted Rose

No More Technics (continued) - 01/12/04 12:03 PM

There were so many messages in the original thread, I decided to start a new one, so it would be easier to read just the newest comments, and I'm sure there will be many. I'll start with mine anyway. Perhaps Panasonic/Technics feel that they have gone as far as they can go now. But whatever the reason, I no longer have to suffer the aggravation of immediate, or imminent, obsoletion (is there such a word?), knowing that my 7000 would soon be obsolete because of the introduction of a more advanced/upgraded model. I have had a 5000,
a 6500 and now this fabulous 7000, and, for me, at least, it does more than I
could ever want to satisfy my musical needs and desires. And I am sure it will serve me for many years to come, and I still will not have figured out all the intricacies it has to offer! So, I read the announcement with mixed emotions, but not total despair. I will keep my eyes peeled for what comes next! What worries me more than the fact that there will be no more Technics keyboards is the thought that perhaps this Forum may dry up as a result. I, for one, certainly hope not!!!! I think we all still have a great deal to share in the future, and I hope my friends here on the Forum aren't so discouraged as to decide that they should terminate sending messages to his great place. The news puts a bit of a damper on my Happy New Year greetings, but, being an eternal optimist, I see a good year ahead, and view this as a new beginning, not as an end!

Ted Rose
Posted by: Johnnie.c

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/12/04 12:21 PM

posted 01-12-2004 11:21 AM

As for the forum, I think we'll need it even more now since it will be our only means of support. And as was said, it's the people here and not the keyboard that makes
the forum.
So let's salute the music still to be played and shared because after all it's what I like most about my keyboard and the forum, listening you all of you play!
My best wished to all
Heather

Perhaps it is not a good idea to alienate the what somebody referred to as GUROS in a not so polite manner in an earlier thread.
whether we are basic, intermediate, or advanced this forum will rely on these knowledgeable people more than ever in the future so let us respect what they know and and hope they don't object to us picking their brains
IP
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/12/04 12:40 PM

Well said Ted.

I've only been a member of the forum for just over a year now, and I have no idea how long the Technic's forum has been in existance. I joined just before or after ( can't remember which) getting my kn7.
The one thing I did notice though, was that the majority of posts seemed to revolve around the kn7.

I've often wondered how some of the kn6 owners must have felt. They too, still had very current model keyboards, but for whatever reason didn't see the need to ugrade
albeit, they were happy with what they already had, or didn't want to / or couldn't aford to go to the expense of upgrading.
They must have really felt like they were being left out in the cold, when most of the posts seemed to involve something to do with the KN7.
The same thing would have happened later on this year, had there been a KN8000.

Hopefully we'll see more posts from earlier model keyboard owners & our Technic Piano & Organ friends.

Lets keep this wonderful community alive.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ted Rose:
[B]There were
Posted by: technicsplayer

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/12/04 01:15 PM

But kn6000 owners had their years of glory during that keyboard's lifetime, Rikki, with literally thousands of questions answered on this forum and the technote forum before that which you never saw - just check the number of posts in the profile
Posted by: Chuck Piper

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/12/04 02:09 PM

Hi Rikki, Ted, Johnnie, and Alec,

Rikki, I have a KN6000 and have never felt left out at this forum. As Alec said so well, when the KN6000 was the latest, we had our day in the sun so to speak. The reason I do not feel left out is because most of the discussion surrounding the technical aspects of the KN7000 still apply to the 5000/6000/6500. When someone raises a question concerning a particular problem they are having with their KN7000 and they receive an answer, I go to my keyboard and check it out. That is one of the many ways I learn.

I have invested heavily in keyboard accessories for my KN6000 because I wanted to learn to play well and be able to use all of the capability of my keyboard to make music. I have Alec's book, all of the Tony Pegler videos, about 40 MDC disks, the midi bass pedals, all of the foot switches and the expression pedal. So I have a wonderful setup and enjoy it immensely. Because of my investment in accessories I decided to keep my KN6000 when the KN7000 was introduced. I am happy with that decision.

This forum has been a real home for me. I check in several times each day. It brings me a lot of pleasure. Bebop's mailings bring pleasure as do all the music that has been shared by all of you. So it is my hope that it will continue without diminishing one iota. We all agree that we are a family and families stick together and help each other. I'm sure I will have questions from time to time and would want to be able to post them here and get accurate answers.

I'm sure this forum will carry on. I, for one, will remain here and contribute what I can to help others.

Best Wishes to All, Chuck

[This message has been edited by Chuck Piper (edited 01-12-2004).]

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/12/04 02:40 PM

Hi Guys,
I don't doubt kn6 owners were just as well supported with their questions on their keyboards etc, it's just that during the time I've been here most of the songs & stuff that is shared has been done for the kn7.
Admittedly Cee, to his credit, did also give kn6 owners the opportunity to contribute songs to the site, not sure how many did, though.

Sorry guys, i think I'm feeling a bit meloncohly this morning, reality has finally hit.

best wshes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by technicsplayer:
[
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/12/04 04:35 PM

Ted,

This forum like any other will survive if it has the contributors. I feel most of us will still have our 5/6/7 keyboards for a long time. If we continue to support these owners in our own way I do not think the forum will die. It is up to the contributors.

Before purchasing my 6000 I had a Technics Organ and belonged to a Technics Organ group on the Internet using e-mail. I sold my organ but the Organ Buddies International (OBI) has doubled since the demise of Tehnics Organs. They have included a newsletter that keeps all members informed and their exchange of information continues. Our fellow forum member, Frank Bez, is still a member of the OBI. I also keep in touch.

I am sure this forum will continue...but if it does not...the OBI format can be used to continue for those of us that have not just gained
instrument knowledge but a host of wonderful friends around the world that we would not want to lose.

warm regards,

Fran in Florida

Ps. Nigel, Bebop, I am sure you have no thoughts of ending your great forum?
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/12/04 05:52 PM

Nigel have developed and maintained this forum
for years now, and as long as we behave properly
I think we have this going on for a loooooooooong time.
Don't worry, be happy
GJ
Posted by: Mark And Michelle

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/12/04 11:13 PM

Rikki,

Nice to see you're having your say. Yes, your're quite right; there are still a number of 6K members on the forum (myself included). For most of us when the chance came to upgrade to the 7K we decided not to because either it was too expensive (999GBp for the 6K and something in the region of 2000GBp for the 7K) or we were happy to stay with something we were happy with and were getting used to. For my part (and I think Lucy agrees), we have got so much music we want to try and play, the 6K could last us anything upto the next 10 years. As an interesting fact I pulled over a DeLoreon (c/r Back To The Future) yesterday. Now those cars haven't been made since the 80s; but, obviously, somebody still loves them.

Speak to you soon,

Mark

PS No bullet-holes to report...
Posted by: aprilla

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/13/04 03:20 AM

Being so new to Technics I didn't really feel my comments about their closure would be appropriate considering the experience and dedication of the members here, but reading these posts it just struck me - if any Technics people read this board they must be heartened by the feeling they have created and that will continue into the forseeable future.

I know, it doesn't get jobs back, nor does it give Technics players a next new version or make it up to those that bought 'dear' etc, but knowing that Technics keyboards will be cherished to get the very best and longest out of them must mean a lot to all connected to Technics and I think that is mentionable.

just a thought
Posted by: shcox

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/13/04 05:18 AM

Hi Johnnie.C

It certainly is not my intention to alienate any of the "GUROS". Indeed, since they are members of this forum I was including them in my reference to our future need for support and the benefits of having such good people on this forum.

My apologies if in was taken in any other way in both threads.

Have a Great Day
Heather

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/13/04 05:38 AM

Hi Alec,

I certainly do understand this statement.

My first PC was a TRS-80 Model I in 1979. As part of a conference I attended, a person from MIT attended and using 24 eight inch disks and a Model II with 2 drives he proceed to demonstate how music could be sampled and put on to a disk. Each disk held 2 minutes of music and as the song played he swapped disks in the two drives.

Little did we know that we were watching the beginning of a new generation of music (and video) and it hasn't stopped yet.

Thanks you for sharing some of what we may have to look forward to.

Heather

Quote:
Originally posted by Alec:

As excellent as our instruments are at a huge range of popular music, you cannot sit down and multitrack the slow movement of Dvorak's New World symphony and get a sound that anywhere near approaches a recording of von Karajan conducting the Berlin Philharmonic. But one day soon you might start being able to get much closer...
Posted by: Neil Bennett

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/13/04 11:37 AM

Hi Everyone

Could someone please tell me the source of this very bad news? And when it was announced? It seems that a lot of local dealers, and even our distributors, are not aware of this. Did the news come directly from Japan? My local keyboard technician, who travels to Japan regularly for training, also has not heard the news. Can it be confirmed that the matter is not a hoax? Please, someone, fill me in.

Thanks

Neil Bennett

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/13/04 12:00 PM

Hi Neil,

Alec Pagida made the announcement in the following post: http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/002319.html

Chuck

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/13/04 12:01 PM

my information comes direct from the top in Japan, obviously your contact is not in any position to know. Your distributors around the world will just not have received their official notification yet. UK dealers have already received their notification of cessation of contracts.

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/13/04 12:59 PM

Hi All,

Rikki, you say you have always been an electronic gadget nutter. You have lots of company in every country around the world. Electronics is constantly evolving not only in terms of hardware (smaller, faster etc.) but also in terms of application. New ways of applying electronics to make our lives more comfortable or enjoyable are being pursued daily by the research and development departments of small and large corporations. So you will have lots of gadgets to choose from - all designed to make your pocketbook a little lighter!

There are many fields of electronics, each with its own unique application of the technology. I had a career in aviation electronics, Bill Norrie had a career in the design and engineering of instruments (industrial electronics) if I am correct, and Alec Pagida is involved in consumer electronics. All three of us (and maybe more of our forum members who have had careers in electronics) have seen a quantum leap in the minitiarization and sophistication of components/circuits over the past 30 - 40 years. Our keyboards are outstanding examples of the advances in consumer electronics. And Alec is working with new technologies that will likely revolutionize our lives still further. Yes Rikki, more gadgets are on the way!

Heather, you mentioned the TRS-80 Model 1 desktop. It was my first exposure to desktop computers, too. I cut my Basic language programming teeth on that machine. It did the work I asked of it and did it well. Now look what we have in front of us today compared to that early desktop. No comparison. Yet another example of the evolution of electronics.

I was reading the news yesterday and saw an announcement released in Japan saying that two electronic engineers have designed a one square inch hard drive! It will store 2 GB's of information. They want to make it a little smaller so it will fit inside a watch! Where will it end?

Someone on our forum said (I believe) that he/she hoped someone would buy the Technics technology and incorporate it in future keyboards. I share that hope. It has been done before.

Just felt like talking tonight for some reason. Hope I didn't bore anyone. Thanks for listening. All of you take care.

Chuck

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/13/04 01:57 PM

Hi Mark,
nope, I managed to get off the computer before he spotted me again ( haahaa)

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark And Michelle:
Rikki,

PS No bullet-holes to report...

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/13/04 02:12 PM

Hi Chuck,
never find it boring when it's to do with technology.

I tried to learn "Basic" for my first Dick Smith Computer , must have been the early 90's, unfortunately I couldn't make sense of it.
Then my Vic 20 ( Commodore computer?) arrived, it played music, albeit , it only beeped in tune ( which was better than I could do ) that was the beginning of my addiction to music computers & synths. Fun times.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chuck Piper:
[B]Hi All,

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/13/04 02:14 PM

Hi Chuck, the microdrive has been around for some time, I've had a 1GB one in my miniature mp3 player for a few years now which holds around 330 cd quality songs. I used to use it in the camera where you could shoot 700 full resolution images or 2500 high quality jpegs before replacing it with the equivalent compact flash cards when prices came down. Now it's used for music in the car since only slightly bigger players with laptop drives have 80Gb of storage and can store and play 100 two hour movies. IBM developed microdrives, then sold the business to Hitachi who are just bringing out 2GB and 4GB versions. Toshiba have just announced their 0.8 inch version to be released soon. Next year we will see the 1GB SD card

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/13/04 02:16 PM

Hi,
I rang my dealer yesterday ( here in Sydney) he was already aware. I think he'd been notified on Monday. I think Aust. may somehow be tied up to the U.K.

best wishes
Rikki

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/13/04 02:42 PM

Hi Alec,

Thanks for sharing. I'm amazed by it all. I left the field of electronics 19 years ago when I terminated my contract with Northrop Corporation and returned home from the Middle East. So, with your background, you will certainly appreciate that I am no longer current after a 19 year absence from the field. I have stayed computer literate and am learning to use the technology built into our keyboards, but like you, keyboard playing is mainly a hobby and form of relaxation for me. Having your technical expertise available to us is special, Alec, and I know I speak for all when I say "thank you" for being here for all of us. In order for me to get up to speed again, technologically speaking, I would have to return to school and at my age, that is out of the question. So I respect your expertise and thank you for sharing it so willingly.

Take care.

Chuck
Posted by: Audrey Turner

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/13/04 04:24 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have just logged on and cannot believe what I am reading. Does this mean there isn't going to be any more Technics instruments at all i.e: pianos, organs etc.?
What has gone wrong - does anyone know?

As I said in an earlier thread on this subject, I think there could be a merger between companies particularly as the Casio and Yamaha appear to be either copying or following Technic's lead. At our Keyboard Club last night one of the members said they had actually played the latest Casio and thought it was superb "not unlike your KN7 Aud" were his words, but I have to say I cannot confirm that as I haven't even seen the new Casio keyboard yet let alone play it.

Like most of you other Forum members, I have had Technics for several years and have collected approximately 150 professional disks and numerous others of my own settings for both the PR pianos and keyboards so I guess in order to preserve them the best bet would be to save them to a specific SD card. How do others intend to preserve their collection? I'd be very interested to know, perhaps we could have a discussion on this.

Regards to all.

Aud

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/13/04 06:52 PM

Hi Audrey,
I ended up copying mine to my computer, then burning them onto a cd rom ( I did a back up of the cd as well.

I learnt the hard way, when I lost the data on quite a few floppies While I had them in storage.

Another possibility if you don't have a cd burner , might be a zip drive ( if you happen to have one. Again, I suppose the zip disk could corrupt, too, so you'd want a couple of copies.

The other option would be the sd card ( fairly expensive option) and you'd require a card reader ie you'd just use the sd card as a storage device, all you'd need to do ( using the computer is copy the files from floppy directly to sd card. The card wouldn't be useable in the kn as such, it's only for storage purposes. Again the problem is, an sd card may eventually fail.

I noticed years back, that some Technics style files are hidden ie the floppy disk appears to be blank when brought up on the computer, I used to be able to remedy that, but I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on.

Maybe they'd actually copy across anyway, but I'm not sure as I altered all my disks so that they did show up.

Just wondering anyone, do CD's get corrupted data due to storage, if so I better do some more copies.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Audrey Turner:
Hi Everyone,

Like most of you other Forum members, I have had Technics for several years and have collected approximately 150 professional disks and numerous others of my own settings for both the PR pianos and keyboards so I guess in order to preserve them the best bet would be to save them to a specific SD card. How do others intend to preserve their collection? I'd be very interested to know, perhaps we could have a discussion on this.

Regards to all.

Aud

Posted by: Nigel

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/14/04 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunnar Jonny:
Nigel have developed and maintained this forum
for years now, and as long as we behave properly
I think we have this going on for a loooooooooong time.
Don't worry, be happy
GJ

Gunnar is right. Synth Zone supports resources to synths and keyboards from over 30 years ago that are still in use. Even though the Technics brand is going to go away everyone will still be playing their Technics keyboards for many years to come. This forum certainly won't be changing because of Technics demise. I'm sorry to see the brand dropped but business is like that.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 01-14-2004).]
Posted by: Bill Norrie

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/14/04 02:13 AM

Hi Rikki,
There have been reports of user recordable CDs becoming either partially or totally unreadable. I believe that this can be due to adverse storage conditions - too hot, too cold or subjected to strong sunlight. Also, some of the cheaper unbranded variety, may not be manufactured to the same standard as the branded blanks. I always use well known, branded blanks for back-up of important data. For short term back-up or data transfer, I use the 'Ten-a- Penny' discs.
See also my posting here : http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/002156.html

------------------
Willum

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/14/04 04:49 AM

Hi Chuck, thank you very much... you don't need to know about all this new technology, just be able to plug it in and enjoy it

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/14/04 05:17 AM

Hi Rikki and Chuck,

I learned Basic on the Model I along with assembler and several other computer languages and it's how I've made my living for the last 20 years. My primary language is Visual Basic.

I got my first exposure to computer music with Orchestra 80 a 5 voice digital to analog converter. What is cool is that it was so popular that there is a site to down load the old song files and convert them to midi or you can down load a TRS-80 emulator and play them directly as that are. They sound like organ music on the PR54.

All this shows that progress keep moving forward and while there won't be any more Technics keyboards there will certainly be other replacement that will be better. It will just take some getting use to it. (And of course trade in values will be a lot less I'm sure.)

Take care.
Heather

[This message has been edited by shcox (edited 01-14-2004).]

[This message has been edited by shcox (edited 01-14-2004).]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/14/04 07:21 AM

Heather,

The one good thing about our keyboards is, the initial investment is low compared to the price of the Technic Organs.

I have some frinds here in Florida that paid as high as $69,000. for the F100. Shortly after introduction of this organ, Technics went out of the organ business.
I understand they can be purchased in the $5000 range in Melbourne.

I could throw my 7000 in the trash and only lose a small percentage of what I lost on the sale of my EA5 organ.

If I can get another 4 or 5 years out of this 7000 before a major breakdown it is money well spent for the enjoyment it has given me. Wish I could say the same for the cars and boats I have owned.

Fran in Florida
Posted by: Johnnie.c

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/14/04 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
Gunnar is right. Synth Zone supports resources to synths and keyboards from over 30 years ago that are still in use. Even though the Technics brand is going to go away everyone will still be playing their Technics keyboards for many years to come. This forum certainly won't be changing because of Technics demise. I'm sorry to see the brand dropped but business is like that.

True words of wisdom spoken by an officer and a gentleman

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/14/04 01:49 PM

Hi Bill,
thank you for the warning. I've mainly got cheap throw aways, so I might invest in a good brand for important stuff.
Fortunately all my disks actually work in the kn7 and are on sd card ( I've probably got 10 backups of those ( haahaa)

I thought I might be leaving the forum earlier than I'd anticipated yesterday.
A gum 10foot gum tree branch next door fell on the power lines just after I turned on my keyboard. Crackle sizzle pop ( power lines not kn), as the power slowly faded down. Had a worrying few hours till power was restored. Fortunately everything including the kn & computers were okay. I usually unplug all electrical appliances if a storms coming, but this branch just fell on a nice sunny day. SCARY The power didn't go down totally , just appeared to be at half strength, so it did'nt trip the switchboard protection. I think we call them brown outs , not blackouts.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
[B]Hi Rikki,

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/14/04 02:26 PM

Hi Fran,
don't talk about cars. I lost count at 20.
At one stage he had 3 to my 1
I had my little run around shopping car.
He had 3 utes. Not sure if you have these in the USA as some of the U.S.A tourists ( he works doing building maintenance & project management in Darling Harbour, one of the Sydney Olympic Venues)seem to be fascinated by these vehicles, sort of like your pick up trucks but only the size of a family sedan. Usually just a 2 or 3 seater.

Anyway he had his normal work ute, then he had a work ute for his employees to use on site. then he had his favourite bright red v8 holden maloo ute with it's 35?? something specially modified motor. This ute
sat in the garage all week, was brought out on weekends to be washed, then put back in the garage, or, if he was going somewhere , where the vehicle was not going to be left unattended, he'd go in it ( and I thought I was nuts) haahaa He finally sold it 5 years back, when we moved to a house that didn't have a garage. Couldn't stand the thought of it being left out in the open, plus he was worried it might get stolen ( they were a prime target for car theives, because of their speed and rarity.
So he had his cars, I had my keyboards.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran in Florida:
[If I can get another 4 or 5 years out of this 7000 before a major breakdown it is money well spent for the enjoyment it has given me. Wish I could say the same for the cars and boats I have owned.

Fran in Florida [/B]
Posted by: Nigel

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/15/04 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
He had 3 utes. Not sure if you have these in the USA ... sort of like your pick up trucks but only the size of a family sedan. Usually just a 2 or 3 seater.

In the US the Chevrolet El Camino was the only "ute" that was made over the years. It was a very cool car but is no longer made although I still see quite a few of them around LA.

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/15/04 07:22 AM

Maybe we need this one now when we have to
hurry around to get hands on the rest of the
KN's
GJ

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/15/04 12:35 PM

Hi ,
must admit I'd never really noticed that one didn't see utes in USA movies. Wasn't till hubby came home one day , saying that a US tourist was busy snapping photo's of his ute. His latest Ford ute has an aluminum tray with sides, instead of the normal ute back. Really freaked the fellow out when he pressed a button and the tray started to lift. It's a mini Tipper ( tip truck?)
So handy for builders.

They're great for carrying keyboards. When we used to go on holidays , I'd pack the kn back into it's box, and load up the ute with suitcases, dog baskets, hubby's wheel chair etc etc Couldn't have fitted all that stuff in a normal size family car. One drawback was that you couldn't leave the ute unattended, but they have a water proof cover called a tarp, so no one would really know what was hidden underneath. I actually drove one for a few years too.

Now that I've got an Audi A4. Had to leave the KN behind ( no space) when we went away at xmas . Could have left hubby behind, but , he's the main driver on long trips ( haahaa) eek hope he doesn't read this.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nigel:
[B]
Posted by: bruno123

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/16/04 03:20 AM

I know many of us are disappointed and possibly angry with Technics and what they are doing-----But there is also another view.

Thank you Technics, you gave us an instrument that allowed is to enjoy our music and this forum and the people we have met here. I feel you made the best, and for that I thank you.

John C.
Posted by: bruno123

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/16/04 03:22 AM

I know many of us are disappointed and possibly angry with Technics and what they are doing-----But there is also another view.

Thank you Technics, you gave us an instrument that allowed is to enjoy our music and this forum and the people we have met here. I feel you made the best, and for that I thank you.

John C.

Re: No More Technics (continued) - 01/16/04 09:06 AM

You're right bruno, we most not forget all
the joy and happiness Technics instruments
have brought to us, and still do.
I'm sure if it was no Technics it would have
been another brand, but so far I've not seen
any of the other brands that reach up to the
userfriendlyness of Technics KNs, at least
not regarding to the way I use it.
Guess the other brands now have a challenge