Just Bought SD1+

Posted by: Tony Hughes

Just Bought SD1+ - 01/30/06 01:18 PM

I have just bought a SD1 Plus - I intend to keep it having just given away my Yamaha US1 - I was told to buy the SD1 because I would run out of keys for the left hand buying a little Tyros - I am not certain the Ketron will hold it's price if I should decide to get rid of it - a bit like a big petrol car in the UK - the manual is a bit- heavy going - and there appear to be gaps that could be filled or is it just me.

Tony
Posted by: manic2257

Re: Just Bought SD1+ - 01/30/06 01:32 PM

hi tony, congrats on your new 'board...i have the midjay and i find the manual for that very easy to read and understand, but like you, i find it has BIG gaps in the information supplied.
anyhoo, enjoy your music
dennis
Posted by: viocaia

Re: Just Bought SD1+ - 01/30/06 03:08 PM

Hey!
It's really good keyboard, good drums first of all.You'll be happy..after a while of searching how's working.I had Roland before,so I still have a lot of missuderstandings,the manual is not so helpful in all situations..but I'm ok with my sd1+.Good luck,
Vio

Re: Just Bought SD1+ - 01/30/06 03:13 PM

BTW, there is a software for tweaking midis and efects+vocalizer..I found it very useful,you should try it...SD1 MAstering Studio from http://www.soundcompany.net/sd1/mastering_studio/
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Just Bought SD1+ - 01/30/06 04:47 PM

Hi Tony,
congratulations. I got my sd1+ for xmas.
The manuals heavy reading, but after a while, it all starts to make sense.
I think I've read it about 3 times by now, and I'm still learning new functions.
Sometimes it doesn't seem to translate too well,and there is the odd gap.
Miss not having a list of the drum maps like the roland & yammies have at the back of the manual. May be a good reason for it, as it appears the drums can actually be mapped to suit oneself.

The SD has some great functions.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tony Hughes:
[B]

Re: Just Bought SD1+ - 01/30/06 08:10 PM

Thanks all for the reassurance - I thought it was me about the manual - I think I'll need to read it more than 3 times - I take it on the loo now - Sad - can see I will be learning the SD1+ for a long time - I think this will be my last instrument - I am 62 next - if my hearing starts to go I will miss all those rich sounds - thanks all !

Tony

PS BTW Viocaia that address does'nt work

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 01-30-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 01-30-2006).]
Posted by: DanO1

Re: Just Bought SD1+ - 01/31/06 08:36 AM

Here's a few observations or things that may be of interest.

The "save enter" button becomes very important.

If you adjust the volumne setting within a style, you save it by entering "save/enter" , pressing "save style" (F2?) and confirming by pressing F9.

If you adjust global settings, press "save enter" button and press F3 for Power on set up. The keyboard takes snap shots and saves them , all under the "save enter" button !

Also ...most of the styles on the 2nd or 3 pages of the category, were born on the X1 keyboard. All of the X1 styles carried over to the SD1plus, need volumne levels raised within each part of the style.

Make your adjustments by selecting the style, press F5 for "arrange view", you will now see the individual parts next to all the Function Buttons (F1 - F10) .. press the part and use the value plus button to increase volumne levels... After raising the volumnes.. press save/enter !

Dan O'

Former SD1 demo guy ....

------------------
Ketron, Yamaha, Casio,Korg
http://www.baltimoremusiccenter.com
1-866-348-8876

Re: Just Bought SD1+ - 01/31/06 12:49 PM

Thanks Dan01,
wasn't quite aware of that. Realized there was a difference between the Flash styles in Capital letters and the internal styles in small letters, just wasn't aware they were the same as the x1 styles.
Will make my style sorting easier.
Thank you
best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DanO1:
[B]
Also ...most of the styles on the 2nd or 3 pages of the category, were born on the X1 keyboard. All of the X1 styles carried over to the SD1plus, need volumne levels raised within each part of the style.

Re: Just Bought SD1+ - 02/01/06 08:57 AM

About SD1 Mastering Studio
That's funny...the adress is openning to me.Try again, maybe they were doing something with the page.Or try this one.. www.soundcompany.net
Posted by: Craig_UK

Re: Just Bought SD1+ - 02/01/06 01:39 PM

Congratulations on your SD1 plus.
I can remember getting my SD1 a few years back and going through the manual. It does get easier after time and the way it operates will soon start to sink into the old brain cells
Posted by: brmoore

Re: Just Bought SD1+ - 02/02/06 05:41 AM

Hi Tony:
There is an old story that says if you stick enough Monkeys in a room with typewriters they will eventually type an exact copy of a Shakespere Play.
I decided to put this theory to a test.
At great expense I purchased 5,000 monkees
and 5,000 typewriters. You guessed it -
they typed the Ketron SD1 Manual.
Bruce

Re: Just Bought SD1+ - 02/02/06 08:55 AM

Doh Brucey !

I know I said the manual was heavy going but that takes the cake - does anyone else feel the same way.

May be a few pretty pics with arrows pointing to things would help, monkies surely can't do that - or could yours, BTW what did you do with the 5000 after the Manual was finished.

Don't let this thread get out of hand - I will finally figure it out before I die.

Hoping Tony

PS the sounds are still great. I think sometimes things go a drift in a translation, think of it you were Russian.
Perhaps if you were Russian you wouldn't be
able to afford a SD1.

Quote:
Originally posted by brmoore:
Hi Tony:
There is an old story that says if you stick enough Monkeys in a room with typewriters they will eventually type an exact copy of a Shakespere Play.
I decided to put this theory to a test.
At great expense I purchased 5,000 monkees
and 5,000 typewriters. You guessed it -
they typed the Ketron SD1 Manual.
Bruce

Re: Just Bought SD1+ - 02/02/06 09:22 AM

Hi Tony;
Since you asked - I did not have the heart to destroy the 5,000 monkeys so I
shipped them off to Ancora, Italy where they are now all working in the Customer Service Department at Ketron.
Bruce

Re: Just Bought SD1+ - 02/02/06 01:46 PM

Hell Bruce,

Did your SD1 blow a fuse or you.

Where did it all start to go wrong for you, I bought a water bed recently - since then me and my wife have drifted apart.

Dare I say good luck with your SD1.

Or shall I just throw my cap in first.

Regards

Tony

Re: Just Bought SD1+ - 02/02/06 02:16 PM

Hi Tony,
I think it's translated from Italian.
Can't work out which is worse, the Technics manuals weren't too bad ( sometimes not enough detail).
Yamaha's sometimes left you up in the air
( tell you it could do something, then neglected to tell you how).
Korgs were pretty good, though a lot of people think the operating system is complex,
Rolands went into a great deal of detail which was good ( even though I didn't always understand it all.)
I think Ketron manual lacks detail.Some of the typo errors don't help either.

Been working my way through Pattern editing & how to create styles using a sequencer midied to the ketron.
Great explanation. Needed to know what type of chord ( maj ,min or 7th) to base a style on.
Manuals says create it in D0 Major( dah) , Took me a while to figure that one out. Some ketron members suggested it refers to the cmaj chord as in do ra me fa (as in the Sound of Music( never was much good at singing.
Anyway Tony, if you get stuck with anything specific, maybe someone can help.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tony Hughes:
[B]

I know I said the manual was heavy going but that takes the cake - does anyone else feel the same way.

Re: Just Bought SD1+ - 02/02/06 06:03 PM

Hi Tony:
Don't get me wrong - I love my SD1+, but
find it hard to believe that Ketron can't spend a few extra dollars to get someone who
reads and writes English to write their manuals.
I have written to them on numerous occasions suggesting that they include a large sized bottle of Tylenol with every manual.
I could be wrong, but as far as I know no other keyboard has a Manual out that tries to explain how to use the original manual (written by AJ). The fact that it became a Best Seller should tell you something.
Bruce

Re: Just Bought SD1+ - 02/02/06 08:33 PM

Appears to me that AJ is our man, would be a good thing for us all to post little goodies when we stumble onto them - like simply increasing the volume on a Timbre and storing it, the buttons are a mind field, I fly light aircraft and it's more daunting than that console.

Good Luck

Tony

Manchester UK
Posted by: CHALKY u.k

Re: Just Bought SD1+ - 02/03/06 12:03 PM

Tony, the AJ manual is available direct from him.Dosen't go into as much depth as origional manual but tells all you need to know to get going.
Chalky u.k