My New SD40 Gig Setup

Posted by: hammer

My New SD40 Gig Setup - 12/27/18 06:45 PM

My New SD40 Gig Setup. The SD40 is small, easy to use, easy to setup for gigs. The sounds and styles are outstanding - very much like the SD7 I sold. Looks like a keeper.
I'am using a M-Audio 49 key Keystation controller which is working great with the SD40. So far it is all I have needed to play all the songs I play for gigs. Total weight of both SD40 and controller is under 10 pounds! I also have a setup using and X-stand for longer gigs so I can sit and play. The iPad is the iPad Pro - large version.

Deane
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: My New SD40 Gig Setup - 12/28/18 12:12 AM

Looking good Deane. You can't beat the sound of the Ketron modules, and the weight is sure at minimum. I just did a large Christmas community dinner, and the reception was very positive using my SD40 and Hammond SK1.

Bernie
Posted by: Togge

Re: My New SD40 Gig Setup - 12/29/18 05:44 AM

Looks like a good lighweight setup.

Would be interesting to know how the Ketrons are used since they seems have no proper Registration Memory.

Normally you have a few registration memory locations, typically between 8 and 16, where you save your settings for 1 song. Then you save it as a registration bank for that song.

But Ketron manual says 4 banks with 1024 memory locations each. I can simply not understand how to use it? Am I missing something? Are Ketrons designen to use only 1 setting for each song or do you in some way have several settings in 1 registration memory?

I would be interested in getting a SD40 or SD90 as addon to my organ but this turns me off. Would be appreciated if someone using Ketron could comment on how it's used.

Re: My New SD40 Gig Setup - 12/29/18 08:37 AM

Someone ask to see my X-Stand gig setup for the SD40.

Deane

Re: My New SD40 Gig Setup - 12/29/18 08:41 AM

The Ketron products do use registrations. There are 4 banks available. Each bank will hold I believe 1000 registrations. I do not use registrations so I don't know a lot about them in the Ketron world. I have owned the SD7 keyboard and now the SD40 module and am very pleased with both.

Deane

Re: My New SD40 Gig Setup - 12/29/18 11:28 AM

Interesting. You do a manuell setup for each song when you are about to play it?
Posted by: IMMusic_Curt

Re: My New SD40 Gig Setup - 12/29/18 11:58 AM

Yes, Ketron supports registrations. Might work a little different than you expect, might not. Think of it like this. Let's say you are going to play the tune "Laura." Select your setup and save as a registration called "Laura-1". Let's say the second time through you would like to switch from a Trumpet lead to a Tenor Sax lead. Go ahead and make that registration and save as "Laura-2". Make as many registrations as you need for that song and name them in whatever way makes sense to you. Do the same for how many ever songs you want and again name them, so you know which ones "go together" - up to a max of 4,096 registrations. The registrations are maintained across power-up cycles so once you create them they are there until you delete them.

Does that help?

Re: My New SD40 Gig Setup - 12/29/18 03:14 PM

Thank you!

Is is possible to save additional Registrations on SSD?

Re: My New SD40 Gig Setup - 12/29/18 03:33 PM

Togge,
I use styles named for various songs. Very easy to do.

Deane
Posted by: Bachus

Re: My New SD40 Gig Setup - 12/29/18 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By Togge
Looks like a good lighweight setup.

Would be interesting to know how the Ketrons are used since they seems have no proper Registration Memory.

Normally you have a few registration memory locations, typically between 8 and 16, where you save your settings for 1 song. Then you save it as a registration bank for that song.

But Ketron manual says 4 banks with 1024 memory locations each. I can simply not understand how to use it? Am I missing something? Are Ketrons designen to use only 1 setting for each song or do you in some way have several settings in 1 registration memory?

I would be interested in getting a SD40 or SD90 as addon to my organ but this turns me off. Would be appreciated if someone using Ketron could comment on how it's used.

Lovely to see the yamaha way of thinking..

The korg pa4x is considered by many as the perfect gig instrument
And yet it has no registration memmories either
But it has all the real time buttons you will ever need.
And songbook to save your performances combined with a setlist..

On ketrons and korgs you need to change varriations and sounds seperately
Butin the end its the same idea as registrations..

Amd altough nothing beats yamahas registration system
Its not a nightmare to live witouth.

Re: My New SD40 Gig Setup - 12/30/18 03:49 AM

I do use registrations in the following manner:
1. Choose the style, tempo, etc, and SAVE AS REGISTRATION
2. Open window showing everything saved as you have setup(your choice of parameters set up in global).
3. There are 4 boxes, ABCD to insert your instruments.
4. Choose to have instruments change with the 4 variations, or, with the box off, you can simply touch one of the 4 in any order you want.

AJ could explain it much better, but, in essence, this is the way to go.

While file management is a little different than Korg, with unlimited set lists, I find that by using the assigned numbers of the registrations in a bank is very fast.
Posted by: IMMusic_Curt

Re: My New SD40 Gig Setup - 12/30/18 04:21 AM

Originally Posted By Togge
Thank you!

Is is possible to save additional Registrations on SSD?

Possible but... There is a folder on the internal drive called "Registration" and underneath that are four more folders named "Bank1", "Bank2", "Bank3, and "Bank4". When you create and save a registration, it is stored in whichever bank folder you select with the name you select for that registration. When you touch the registration button, it displays that folder structure, and you select whatever registration you would like to use.

You can copy any of the files or folders from the primary registration folder(s) over to a second SSD or an external USB drive connected to your device should you want to keep a second copy or re-use the first 4096 registration locations for a new collection of registrations but you can only access the first 4096 registrations located on the primary internal drive at any given time.

Re: My New SD40 Gig Setup - 01/01/19 03:09 PM

Togge,
I was not able to give you a full response until today. I do not use registrations - have never used them on any of my keyboards. What I do is find styles I want to use for a specific song and rename the style for that song. They are referred to as Songstyles on most forums. I have several thousand of them now for all the various keyboards I have owned. I have folders for 1920's, 1930's, 1940's, 1950's, and 1960's plus a few other folders for things like Christmas or Patriotic shows. In each folder are the songs from those periods of time - it works really well for me and I can go from song to song within seconds if needed.

All this said, I do not sing so I don't need to have special mic setups to save so registrations are not a necessity. For all of my gigs this system works just fine.

Deane
Posted by: bruno123

Re: My New SD40 Gig Setup - 01/03/19 12:55 PM

So Deane, if you wish to play Laura how do you find it? What have I missed.
John C.

Re: My New SD40 Gig Setup - 01/03/19 01:36 PM

Pretty easy, songs are in alph order in every folder.

Deane

Re: My New SD40 Gig Setup - 01/05/19 01:08 AM

I respect everyone's way of doing things, but by comparison, using registrations, one button press brings up the song all ready to go. This does require one to have a set list prepared or have the registration numbers grouped on a list in the manner you desire. I should mention that if and when the search engine is expanded to registrations, a quick partial search of the song name will do the same as a number.

Just a viable alternative