Working with SysX and SD40

Posted by: IMMusic_Curt

Working with SysX and SD40 - 07/31/18 02:29 PM

In a different thread the topic of working with SysX and an SD40 came up. We started on a video earlier today that will show a few commands in action, but we don't have it quite finished yet.

For now, one question regarding where you can find the "tab/sys" option came up. We do have that part of the video done but wanted to share the answer early. You need to go into the MIDI Menu and then touch "Arranger Keyboard." Next, touch "RX" on the left side and then on the lower right touch "Filter." The next screen is where you will find the "Tab" option. It defaults to on. You want to turn it off. Also, make sure you are using MIDI In 2 on the SD40.

We should get the video finished up in the next day or so and will update when it's ready to go.
Posted by: Torch

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/01/18 08:47 PM

Thank you. I found it. I must have wandered into it; it was already left off.

Thank you for all the help. You are doing the work of Ketron.

Chris

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/02/18 07:23 AM

OK, we finished up the video where we show a few commands sending from Logic to our SD40. Also, take note of the banks we mention should you want to access the styles from an external device.

Sending SysX data to an SD40

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/02/18 03:58 PM

Now I know what's happening.

According to the Ketron SD40 Table pdf file, your SysX is for the Audya series, and yet works on the SD40, too. I was working with the SysX messages for the MS, X, and SD series as in the manual, and none of it worked. AJ emailed me F0 26 7C 67 7F F7 00. It didn't work.I found out that a 00 message after the F7 message will just lead to an invalid SysEx message. I also found out that the SysX under the heading of Foot switch MIDIJPRO works on the SD40. Phew, Ketron sure knows how to throw customers a curve ball.

Thank you, Curt, for the correct information. BTW, in the video you mention various banks for calling up factory and user styles. I could not find a single reference in the manual, do you have a chart for the banks and program numbers for the styles?

Thank you again,
Chris

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/03/18 07:19 AM

Chris - Do you have a base SD40 or the AJAMSonic version? I do have all the user voices mapped out for the AJAMSonic version if needed?

For styles - I've started to build a spreadsheet but it's not complete yet. Try this for styles:

Bank40 = Ballad, Bank41 = Pop, Bank41 = Dance etc.
Bank50 = User Ballad, Bank51 = User Pop, etc.

Here's the mapping for Factory Ballad:

Group Bank Patch Style
./Ballad:
40 0 8Beat_1
40 1 8Beat_2
40 2 8Beat_3
40 3 16Beat_1
40 4 16Beat_2
40 5 16Beat_3
40 6 70Beat_1
40 7 70Beat_2
40 8 Acoustic_Folk
40 9 British_Tune
40 10 Country_Beat
40 11 Cuban_Ballad
40 12 Electro_90
40 13 EuroBeat
40 14 Folk_12_8
40 15 Folk_Song
40 16 Light_Mood
40 17 Moderato
40 18 Modern_Brush
40 19 Pop_Melody
40 20 Rock_Ballad
40 21 Slow_Ballad
40 22 Smooth_Analog
40 23 Soul_Ballad
40 24 Spatzenbeat
40 25 Studio_16
40 26 Upbeat

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/03/18 09:38 AM

Curt, I have purchased the AJAMSonic version and all the extra styles as a way of supporting AJ for all the work he's been doing that the manufacturer should have done in the first place.

Your help is greatly appreciated. I will wait until you are finished with the spreadsheet.

Chris
Posted by: MusiMa

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/04/18 01:57 PM

hello,

here is my setup how to use sysex data. Since I like to switch quickly, I use an ipad with the most important values that I use on stage. The ipad sends the sysex data via Bluetooth to the SD 40. This works fine and saves me time. In the photo you can see the variation, as I am currently working. but I will probably add it to a few more parameters.

Regards

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/04/18 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By MusiMa
hello,

here is my setup how to use sysex data. Since I like to switch quickly, I use an ipad with the most important values that I use on stage. The ipad sends the sysex data via Bluetooth to the SD 40. This works fine and saves me time. In the photo you can see the variation, as I am currently working. but I will probably add it to a few more parameters.

Regards
That's nice. Which app do you use to send sysEx, and how do you use Bluetooth MIDI to connect with the SD40?

Thanks.
Chris

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/04/18 11:28 PM

Hi Chris,

The app is called Midi Designer Pro 2, a very comprehensive app that can realize very complex Midi controllers. Unfortunately, Ketron did not release so many Sysex data for the SD 40. That's why I had to trick.

From the beginning: behind each button on the iPad are two more and a knob hidden. This is needed to send the two Sysex data mentioned above, because tabs always send two, one on press and one on release. However, only those functions can be addressed that really have buttons on the SD 40. Ketron has also released only Sysex data for the Micro. For all the other functions like Intro / End or Voicetron I use the footswitch. I've created a set of footswitch in the Ketron with the values ​​I want to control with iPad. The footswitch allows many functions. With Sysex, every footswitch button can be addressed. The footswitch does not even have to be connected.
Incidentally, the app can read out the Sysex values. For the wireless transmission I use from Yamaha the midi adapter MD BT01. The app recognizes the adapter easily and connects.

I hope this helps. If necessary, I would like to show in a new topic how this is realized with Midi Designer.

Regards
Matthias

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/05/18 06:35 AM

Nice! smile

We are not playing out, but if we did, I really like the iPad idea.

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/05/18 06:42 AM

Chris - Give this a try. The bank and patch mapping for the user banks in the AJAMSonic SD40. AJAMSonic SD40 Voice Map

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/05/18 01:19 PM

Curt, thank you for the valuable data.

Chris

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/05/18 01:30 PM

Hi Chris,

The app is called Midi Designer Pro 2, a very comprehensive app that can realize very complex Midi controllers. Unfortunately, Ketron did not release so many Sysex data for the SD 40. That's why I had to trick.

From the beginning: behind each button on the iPad are two more and a knob hidden. This is needed to send the two Sysex data mentioned above, because tabs always send two, one on press and one on release. However, only those functions can be addressed that really have buttons on the SD 40. Ketron has also released only Sysex data for the Micro. For all the other functions like Intro / End or Voicetron I use the footswitch. I've created a set of footswitch in the Ketron with the values ​​I want to control with iPad. The footswitch allows many functions. With Sysex, every footswitch button can be addressed. The footswitch does not even have to be connected.
Incidentally, the app can read out the Sysex values. For the wireless transmission I use from Yamaha the midi adapter MD BT01. The app recognizes the adapter easily and connects.

I hope this helps. If necessary, I would like to show in a new topic how this is realized with Midi Designer.

Regards
Matthias
Yes, it would be great if you would start a new thread on this. I, too, have MIDI Designer 2. I suspect that you plug in both MIDI Din In and MIDI Din Out of the MD BT01 into the SD40 as the Din Out powers the Din In. Is that correct? I use the mi.1 by Quicco Sound.

Thanks for sharing. Oh, btw, the IOS solution is good when playing a keyboard, but I also use a MIDI accordion as a controller, which means most of the time both hands are "tied," and I need a foot controller solution. I suppose that you can connect a foot controller to trigger the sysEx in MIDI Designer 2.

Chris

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/12/18 10:27 AM

@ Chris

yes, you are right with the wiring of the MD-BT01.

Unfortunately, I have no solution for the question of the footswitch.

Regards
Posted by: sparky589

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/13/18 08:32 AM

Maybe Midi Solutions pedal or footswitch controller? Both can be programmed to transmit sysex messages via pedal activation.

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/13/18 11:45 PM

@ Chris

yes, you are right with the wiring of the MD-BT01.

Unfortunately, I have no solution for the question of the footswitch.

Regards
Matthias, as I suspected MIDI Designer supports external midi controllers and foot controllers as in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=33&v=QTPwArwcHMo

Is there any way you can share your MIDI Desinger file?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/13/18 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By sparky589
Maybe Midi Solutions pedal or footswitch controller? Both can be programmed to transmit sysex messages via pedal activation.
You can only do one command of sysEx with these two if I remember correctly. Their Event Processor Plus, which I have, can handle multiple strings of sysEx messages.

I might add that with the EP+, still you need a MIDI foot controller with multiple footswtiches like the FCB 1010 to trigger each string of sysEx. Unless a person already has the EP+, the whole setup gets up a little too expensive and complex.

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/14/18 01:22 PM

Hi Chris,

actually I wanted to upload the file here, but unfortunately I did not succeed. I can send it by mail. Or does anyone know how I can upload the file here?

For this file to work, a set for the footswitch must be adjusted accordingly in the menu, because I can only use Sysex for existing buttons. To use the other functions, for which there are no buttons on the SD 40, I use the Sysex data of the footswitch. Since I myself have only one footswitch with 6 buttons, so I could only read the Sysex to button number 6 and continue to find out button 9 Sysex. I do not know how the numbering continues from button 10, so unfortunately I can not use the Sysex of buttons 10 to 13 for my MIDI Designer File. But I do not really need any other functions.

Greetings Matthias

P.S. sorry for my bad english, i hope it's understandable what i mean.

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/14/18 08:24 PM

Hi Matthias,

To upload a file, all you have to do is, after you open a message window, click on "File Manager" as in the uploaded screenshot below. If you have an issue, let me know. I will PM you.

Now, what file are you referring to? I was wondering if you would share your MIDI Designer layout/file. Once I have that, I will go from there and incorporate a foot controller.

You said, "because I can only use Sysex for existing buttons." As you probably know, there are many other functions in the SD40 that you can call up by sysEx. So I was thinking that once I receive your MIDI Designer layout, I can just enter any sysEx I want.

Chris

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/14/18 10:50 PM

Chris,

I would like to use the File Manager, but I received the following error message:

"The files you may upload have the following extensions:: .gif, .jpg, .txt, .zip, .png, .mp3, .m4a, .mid, .wma, .doc, .pdf, .sty"

Sorry, I've mispronounced something wrong with the Sysex. Of course, there are much more Sysex to control the SD 40. However, the list of values I have from Ketron does not include some of the values. For example, the values for End1 End2 End3, Voicetron on / off, Micro on / off are missing. That's why I used the Control with the Sysex of The footswitch. If you know these Sysex, I would be grateful if you tell it to me.

greetings
Matthias

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/15/18 04:05 AM

Matthias,

Give these a try. Same as the Intro 1/2/3. Let me check and see if I have the others.

End1:
F0 26 7C 03 62 7F F7

End2:
F0 26 7C 03 63 7F F7

End3:
F0 26 7C 03 64 7F F7

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/15/18 05:03 AM

Hi Curt,

thanks for the values. I'm a bit surprised, because (if I know right) these are actually the tabs for Audya. The tabs for intro are different in SD 40. I'll see if they work for END too.

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/15/18 08:53 AM

Matthias,
You must have missed my previous post #455608 in response to Curt's post; I mentioned in the post, "Now I know what's happening. According to the Ketron SD40 Table pdf file, your SysX is for the Audya series, and yet works on the SD40, too. I was working with the SysX messages for the MS, X, and SD series as in the manual, and none of it worked."

You can download the Audya manual. https://www.ketron.it/images/ketron/manualiPdf/E_AUDYA_SERIE_28_04_2011_SMALL.pdf.

There are a whole bunch of sysEx for many functions. Many of the sysEx messages seem to work on the SD40.

Chris

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/15/18 09:00 AM

Chris,

I would like to use the File Manager, but I received the following error message:

"The files you may upload have the following extensions:: .gif, .jpg, .txt, .zip, .png, .mp3, .m4a, .mid, .wma, .doc, .pdf, .sty"

Sorry, I've mispronounced something wrong with the Sysex. Of course, there are much more Sysex to control the SD 40. However, the list of values I have from Ketron does not include some of the values. For example, the values for End1 End2 End3, Voicetron on / off, Micro on / off are missing. That's why I used the Control with the Sysex of The footswitch. If you know these Sysex, I would be grateful if you tell it to me.

greetings
Matthias
You're right, Matthias. It seems that only certain types of files can be uploaded. Please check your mailbox. I will PM you.

As for sysEx messages for the SD40, download the Audya manual and also the Ketron SD40 table if you have not already done so.

Chris
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/15/18 11:51 PM

Hi Chris,

actually I wanted to upload the file here, but unfortunately I did not succeed. I can send it by mail. Or does anyone know how I can upload the file here?

Just zip it up and you can attach it here. Zip files are accepted. You can add any file type to a zip.

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 08/20/18 01:10 AM

Meanwhile, I found out the right sysex of the other button. Now there is only one value that I have to use with the sysex of the footswitch. let me know if there are problems with the zip.

Regards
Posted by: iainscot

Re: Working with SysX and SD40 - 11/02/23 04:11 AM

Is there a sysex command for bank call up or registration number ?