Drum machines

Posted by: underdog

Drum machines - 04/09/14 04:53 PM

Hello. Does anyone know if there is a hardware drum machine that I can midi to my keyboard (Ketron Audya)that has separate physical volume controlls (sliders or knobs) for each drum and maybe four or more assignable outputs for different drums sounds.
The Ketron has good enough audio drums but I cannot see any way to vary the volume of individual drums.
I would like for example to be able to control the snare and cymbals volume using separate channels in my mixer and make them sound crisper without doing the same with the bass drum or toms.
Thank you.
Posted by: shboom

Re: Drum machines - 04/10/14 11:07 PM

If you're fortunate enough to find a Roland R8, it has 8 outs. I've had mine for years. It's like the Energizer Bunny.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Drum machines - 04/11/14 10:27 PM

New TR-8 ...
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TR8/
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Drum machines - 04/12/14 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave

That is a great drum machine but only if you are looking for that analog drum sound from the TR-808 and TR-909. But it won't provide a realistic drum kit sound though if that is what is needed.

Re: Drum machines - 04/12/14 08:45 AM

Thanks everyone for their help.I mostly play a mixture of Country,Rock & Roll and Pop music.(No rave or headbanging)
I really don't need 30 or 40 different drum kits,or having to do much programen. Just a few decent sounding drum kits that I could control the different drums would be fine for me.
Posted by: Ketron_AJ

Re: Drum machines - 04/14/14 12:29 AM

A Ketron MS40 or X4 module (or if you don't mind extra keys, SD/SD1Plus) will do just that ... out of 4 separate outputs.

The good thing about these 2 is ... even the GROOVES (audio slices) can be sent out separately. If you can find one, grab it!

Re: Drum machines - 04/18/14 02:45 PM

Thank you AJ for your information. I tried an SD1 keyboard and it is exactly what I need.In fact there is not really much difference in it and the Audya for the sort of music that I mostly play.
I am now very tempted to change keyboards especially when I can control the four outputs exactly as I want on an SD1, unless there is some settings in the output of the Audya that I have overlooked

Re: Drum machines - 04/20/14 05:14 PM

No. You are right. In Audya, the outputs are paired with effects but in the sd1, they are mono (individual), however, you loose the on board effects.

Thanks.

Re: Drum machines - 04/21/14 02:33 PM

Thank you AJ. I had the loan of a sd1 yesterday and today and I have to admit that in my opinion,it is not really in the same category as the audya for live playing,especially the drum and the rhythm guitar sounds.These both sound ok on the sd1 but when compared alongside the audya,they seem lifeless and I don't think any other drum machine would be any better.
My wish list for an update to the audya would be,Be able to assign the lead instrument and the rhythm to left and right outputs,bass to one and two and drums to three and four and maybe a separate output for the vocalizer (like the sd1)
Also be able to make the count in for the auto accompminent much louder. Thank you for responding

Re: Drum machines - 04/21/14 08:51 PM

... and that's the power of AUDYA
Now add on the AJAMSONIC upgrade ... and your drums are like no other!

Thanks ... your suggestions (some) are already on the design table as the AUDYA is indeed a 'living' instrument.