Ketron X1 or SD1 or Technics KN 6000

Posted by: casaet

Ketron X1 or SD1 or Technics KN 6000 - 07/30/10 09:22 PM

I have decided I need a better keyboard than the Technics KN 1000 I have. So I have been looking around, and found these three keyboards for sale locally. That means I can try them before I buy. The Ketron SD1 seems to have everything i need and everything I want, and then some.
I have done some reading in the Ketron forum, and there seems to be a lot of problems with these keyboards, especially Audya. I have never had any technical problems with so far half a dozen keyboards and synths, and I would like to keep it that way.
I think I will go for the SD1, but it would be fine hear from people who knows more about these things than I do.
casaet
Posted by: DonM

Re: Ketron X1 or SD1 or Technics KN 6000 - 07/30/10 11:25 PM

I've had no problems at all with any Ketron keyboards. I have owned X1, SD1, SD5, Midjay and now Audya.
The older Ketron operating system does involve a learning curve, but once you grasp it, it works great.
The early Technics boards, including KN1000, 2000 and 5000 were way ahead of their time, but that time has passed now. You are on the right track, for certain, particularly since Technics is no longer in business.
DonM
Posted by: DanO1

Re: Ketron X1 or SD1 or Technics KN 6000 - 07/31/10 09:23 AM

I think you'll find the navigation from a KN1000 to the SD1 would be an easier learning curve.

Sonically, the SD1 is a better keyboard and all the X1 styles were carried over to the SD1.
Posted by: Tonewheeldude

Re: Ketron X1 or SD1 or Technics KN 6000 - 07/31/10 02:23 PM

if your not worried about internal speakers the SD1 is the better keyboard, but I do like the X1. You will be pleased with either after having a KN1000.

If its for home use, Ketron doesn't sound great through normal lo-fi keyboard amps, you really need an amp that would sound good playing audio CD's

There are loads of goodies available for either keyboard too in the form of styles, extra sampled sounds and hardware upgrades.
Posted by: casaet

Re: Ketron X1 or SD1 or Technics KN 6000 - 07/31/10 04:24 PM

Thanks for good info all of you. I will buy a SD1. It will be for home use, and I have a pair of Peavey HKS 8 150 watt keyboard amps, and even if they are as old as the technics
KN 1000, they should do the job.
casaet