has anybody tried to modify factory sounds?

Posted by: ketron_user

has anybody tried to modify factory sounds? - 06/02/03 06:39 AM

Hello

I would like to share experiences about programming sounds on Ketron. Seems it's not possible to modify sounds drastically. Cutoff and resonance are 100% useless parameters.
Posted by: KFingers

Re: has anybody tried to modify factory sounds? - 06/02/03 08:05 AM

Hi Ketron User.

I modify sounds on the XD3. Most of the modifications are to tailor existing sounds by introducing delay vibrato, tremolo, chorus, delay and/or wha etc to the existing sounds. I have though, used the cutoff and resonance to modify overdriven and distorted guitar sounds to sound how I want them.

I prefer to edit programs using combinations of existing voices to get different sounds.
as the editing is very restricted

KFingers

Re: has anybody tried to modify factory sounds? - 06/03/03 07:08 AM

Hi KFingers

I am not sad beacuse of very restricted editing, because default sounds are very good and actually there is not big need to edit them. Anyway, it's always possible to import new sampled sounds.
I have more keyboards, so I'm not lack of sounds.

I wanted to buy XD3, but I have chosen X4. Don't ask my why, it was some inner feeling that I would be more satisfied with X4. I haven't heard XD3, so I cannot say about difference in sound. Only difference I read about is 2 DSPs in X4, more buttons on the module and 8Gb HD. And, yes, black colour goes well with my big Yamaha SY99 keyboard.
Posted by: KFingers

Re: has anybody tried to modify factory sounds? - 06/05/03 06:39 AM

Ketron_User

I have no problem with the Ketron sounds and I have compared them to many other keyboards including the Tyros, 9000, Technics 6500 and lote of other older boards. However, I like a really good piano sound and for that I use a Roland XV2020 module with the SRX002 sampled piano card. This has 64mbytes of sampled memory of a single grand piano which I like very much. Although this module is very small (half width/1U high). It also contains a lot of other amazing sounds as well.

Glad to see you're enjoying your X4.

KFingers

Re: has anybody tried to modify factory sounds? - 06/06/03 05:34 AM

Hi

Never enough of glorification Ketron's sounds.
I like to compare it with Roland VA-7, which I had before. VA-7 is loaded with thousands of sounds, but I found at most 50 which are useful. Some of them are very special, couldn't be found on other instruments. I loved multilayer sampled acoustic guitar, tenor sax and analog strings. There is one special sound I couldn't remember name, some kind of voice flute, wonderful solo sound.

Ketron X4 has 15 times less sounds, it's very easy to select each of them, don't have to edit, and most important, all of them sounds very good and realistic.

All together with arrangements and four separate outputs, Ketron seems to be more powerful than VA-7, which doesn't sounds like other Roland synths.

KFingers, If you like piano sound, I recommend you Triton module or synth + 32Mb expansion card piano (EXB-PCM08). Note: This PCM data is already included in the TRITON STUDIO series, but you must download Piano programs from Korg's page.