Which workstation should I buy? Pls, help

Posted by: Anonymous

Which workstation should I buy? Pls, help - 11/11/99 11:09 AM

Hello everybody:

First of all, sorry for my english. I'm from Spain, but I'll try to do my best.

I'm new here, and I hope someone could help me. I have an Ensoniq VFX-SD from a friend of mine. Now I want to have my own equipment. My problem is that I have no idea about which is the best solution, and I'm really lost.

What I want is to compose my own songs (as I do now with the Ensoniq), and I think what I need is:
* Sequencer
* Sampler
* Sinth

I'm one of those that are delighted with the Korg Triton, but can't have it (of course...). I would really appreciate if someone could advice me.

What is important for me is:

1.- Good polifony (32 voices or more)
2.- Posibility to have unlimited sounds (That's why I think I need a sampler)
3.- Very interested in real instrument sounds
4.- Good memory for long songs
5.- General MIDI
6.- 16 tracks sequencer
7.- Easy production and edition.

I'm thinking about three posibilities:
1.- Workstation with sampler included
2.- Master keyboard + sampler + sequencer
3.- Master keyboard + sampler software + sequencer software + a good sound card.

The first one seems to be the easiest, but also the most expensive (Let me know if I'm wrong)

The second could be expensive also, and I don't know if it's better than the first or not

Regarding the third, I don't know if the quality of the sound is going to be good enough.

I kindly ask you for your help, since I'm really new in this world and don't know a word about this. All I know is to make music, but I don't know the best way to waste my money according to my needs.

Thanks a lot for your time.
Best wishes to all of you.
Txema
Posted by: xenophobe

Re: Which workstation should I buy? Pls, help - 11/11/99 05:34 PM

Are you going to want to play live? If so, it might be best to go with the workstation, so you can keep everything simple and in reach of one keyboard. I was origanally going to go with your choice #2, but figured I could do sampling on a pc, and then send it to a keyboard with sampling and use its controllers, filters, etc. The trinity can do this as well, but it is still a little pricey. Price depends on what you would want to do, It might be worth it to go for the triton, but does any other company manufacture something similar but cheaper? In most instances yes.
Posted by: HellPope Huey

Re: Which workstation should I buy? Pls, help - 11/30/99 09:58 PM

If you can't manage the Triton, buy an older Korg. Every since the 01/W series, Korg has had on-board sequencers polished to a T. I scarcely NEED a sampler with my 01; aside from World music loops or my Mellotron CD, the Korg covers a LOT of bases. There's no Indian percussion set I know of, but that's about all I can't find or program.
If you were to buy an 01, X, or N series synth and an older E-Mu or Akai rack sampler, let's say, you'd be well-covered. Their libraries and compatibility are very solid.
You can also locate several useful starter software sequencers on the Net. If you can even halfway crack one of those, you can always port those sequences into your Korg.