K1m Should I buy ??

Posted by: aj

K1m Should I buy ?? - 12/06/99 06:05 PM

I have seen a K1m (desktop model) in a second hand shop , I've never owned a Kawai before or even heard one the price is rather cheap (about $50 US) Is it worth it to add a couple of sounds to my set up or a waste of cash??
Posted by: Mike Nelson

Re: K1m Should I buy ?? - 12/08/99 12:15 AM

I would buy one again (used to have one) for $50. There are unique things about it that make it interesting. The sounds are 8-bit so some are really cheesy but the flute and strings are good considering. The jazz organ is good too. Relatively few machines offer you 4 layers any more (not for $50!) and they are separately envelopable, good thing since there's no filtering. Instead there are lots of different varieties of waveform so you can fade layers in&out to approximate things like sweeps. You need to have the wavelist which often gets lost, because the display only gives wave#. Post if you buy this thing and need it and someone will help you. One thing its Kawai successors left out is the routing of keyboard scaling to pitch, separately to each wave, I think, which allows microtonal scales when you turn the keyboard tracking off. In short, enough bang for the buck just to have something interesting.mn
Posted by: aj

Re: K1m Should I buy ?? - 12/10/99 12:00 AM

Thanks mike ,
it seems users of k1's rant on about 1 particular string sound that excells
and it is cheap besides i have never owned a Kawai before (did I just talk myself into it ????)
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: K1m Should I buy ?? - 12/10/99 10:19 PM

Hey Guys and Gals, I have a Km1, I am not using it, .. If you like to have it, Its yours for $50...[ includes adapter ]...Fran