OS for Genesys

Posted by: Tommy64

OS for Genesys - 11/05/05 03:43 AM

HI!

Would anyone be able to answer this question about OS for the Genesys?
I can see there are new available on the homepage of General Music http://www.generalmusic.com/

But the first 2 models Genesys and Genesys Pro are not mentioned!
If I download the genesysseries_addendum_ENG paper the confusion gets bigger! Now an upgrade kit is mentioned by code?!
How do one get hold of this? This has been a request I have placed several places, but nobody has come up with a solution!
Please understand my frustration - This is the "curse" of General Music. Where to get help!

Best regards

Tommy
Denmark

Still a very happy Genesys user
Posted by: Jerry Mullikin

Re: OS for Genesys - 11/05/05 08:02 AM

Hi Tommy,

You have come to the right place to get an answer to your question. I can give you a general answer but, I'll bet Dave McMahan will see your post and give you an in-depth answer. The long and short of it is; General Music has come out with what is called the "S" line. This is an upgraded Genesys and Genesys Pro. The newer versions contain a larger hard drive, a new motherboard, more control over certain functions on the keyboard, etc. All the things that are a part of the Ensemble.There is no new OS upgrade for the original Genesys and Genesys Pro. The upgrade you see is for the new "S" line and will not work with the original units. I too am a very happy Genesys owner and, I do not plan to upgrade my setup. I just don't find the need to have the additional things that come with the upgrade so, I decided to save my money. BTW, do you ever visit the GeneralMusicUS site and the forum available there? You can post questions there and I guarantee you will get an answer. Dave McMahan is the moderator and he stays on top of things. I hope this helps some.

Jerry Mullikin
Posted by: Giovanni

Re: OS for Genesys - 11/05/05 08:55 AM

Does anyone know if they are planning a new XP module version "s"

regards .............Giovanni (norwich UK)
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: OS for Genesys - 11/05/05 10:41 AM

Hello everyone,

As Jerry mentioned, the operating system upgrades you see on the headquarters website from Italy is specifically for the 'S' version Genesys models. This is not to say that the original Genesys models have been forgotten about, it was simply important to release the 'S' version upgrade to bring all of the new Genesys versions up to the same level.

Speaking of the new versions, FYI; the 'S' designation is used on the Genesys (with speakers) and the Genesys Pro. Please realize that the Genesys Ensemble (upright and grand) and the Genesys XP started out with the hardware improvements that are featured in the 'S' version instruments.

So to answer Giovanni's specific question, the Genesys XP is an 'S' version instrument.

Sorry for the confusion.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

Re: OS for Genesys - 11/06/05 05:20 AM

Hi again,

what about the second part of my post? HD upgrade?

Tommy

Re: OS for Genesys - 11/06/05 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy64:
Hi again,

what about the second part of my post? HD upgrade?

Tommy

Original Post:
Quote:
Tommy64 HI!
Would anyone be able to answer this question about OS for the Genesys?
I can see there are new available on the homepage of General Music http://www.generalmusic.com/

But the first 2 models Genesys and Genesys Pro are not mentioned!
If I download the genesysseries_addendum_ENG paper the confusion gets bigger! Now an upgrade kit is mentioned by code?!
How do one get hold of this? This has been a request I have placed several places, but nobody has come up with a solution!
Please understand my frustration - This is the "curse" of General Music. Where to get help!

Best regards

Tommy
Denmark

Still a very happy Genesys user

Second Part? I must be missing something but I see no mention of HD upgrade in your original post.

The 'S' series Genesys instruments come with a 20GB HD but it is not possible to increase the HD capacity in the original Genesys without a main board change. Sorry.

Regarding your comment; "Please understand my frustration - This is the "curse" of General Music. Where to get help!"

FYI- I am extremely diligent in checking the GEM Community forums as well as the Synthzone forums and several others to make sure that GEM related questions are answered in as fast a manner as possible, most of the time within an hour and many times within minutes. I have even been known to answer e-mail inquiries at 2:30AM when I get home from a band gig (like last night, and the night beforeƒº) just so the customer will have an answer quickly. I work for and am paid by Generalmusic USA and as such my responsibilities extend only to our customers in North America. However, I personally have no reservations about helping a GEM product owner no matter where they live as long as it does not interfere with my official position and duties here in the US. If the issue requires the services of the GEM distributor in the country where the customer resides, then I will do what I can to make sure that the distributor is made aware of a customer¡¦s need for help.

So to make the statement, "the curse of..." and "where to get help" I might suggest that you are not looking in the right places. And if you have tried contacting the appropriate person/location and have not received help in a timely fashion, I would like to know about it.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

Re: OS for Genesys - 11/06/05 09:28 AM

Hi again,

I knew somebiody would get back to me in this forum - I appreciate that!

But living in Denmark and receiveing no feedback at all to my phone calls etc. really makes you think - did i buy the correct keyboard?
The answere is easy - YES!
There are no bugs, which makes the keyboard hang, and generelly it works great.
But when I compare to the massive PR which other brands make to announce their next model - General Music is a newbie! This said knowing the differences to Yamaha and GEM!

I stated there was a notice about a HD upgrade - this is mentioned in an official GEM document, which can be downloaded.
If it is stated on the main page of General Music it must be a worldwide thing!

I have tryid to have upgrade my HD for dont know how long - It has been an unoffial secret this was possible.

Looking forward to receive positive feedback - mine should be see as such!

Regards

Tommy

Still living in Denmark

Re: OS for Genesys - 11/06/05 10:15 AM

Hello Tommy,

I know what you mean by the massive amount of marketing expense some other companies go to bring awareness to their products.

Generalmusic has never advertised nearly as heavily as other (non-Italian) keyboard manufacturers. GEM relies on the quality and capabilities of the products they offer to speak for the products as opposed to over-the-top marketing.

As for a HD upgrade, I no nothing of this and could find nothing on the Italian website. Please provide a link directly to the page that speaks of this and I will check into it for you.

Best Regards,

Dave
------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 11-06-2005).]

Re: OS for Genesys - 11/06/05 10:24 AM

Here it is:
http://storage.generalmusic.com/Downloads/GEM/Manuals/genesys_s/genesysseries_addendum_ENG.

You go http://www.generalmusic.com/
then click GEM below to the left
Then click OS update in left column
then choose the middle column and go to the boyyom
click download...

Regards

Tommy

Re: OS for Genesys - 11/06/05 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy64:
Here it is:
http://storage.generalmusic.com/Downloads/GEM/Manuals/genesys_s/genesysseries_adden dum_ENG.

You go http://www.generalmusic.com/
then click GEM below to the left
Then click OS update in left column
then choose the middle column and go to the boyyom
click download...

Regards

Tommy

OK. If you are referring to the mention of a Hard Drive Kit for the Genesys, here is what that is all about;
In some countries, the original Genesys was offered without an internal hard drive. In order to use some of the features specified in the document you saw, an internal hard drive is necessary. This is not saying that there is an option to upgrade the capacity of the current internal hard drive.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

Re: OS for Genesys - 11/06/05 12:02 PM

Ok - I hope an update for Genesys soon will be available.

Best regards

Tommy
Posted by: ziggy

Re: OS for Genesys - 11/07/05 05:53 AM

HI everyone, well I am going to pop in again after a long sleep from this forum.

Firstly as some of you in here know me
I have been a user of General music since the very beging of there keyboards, I whent step by step with the company, so I consider me to be a faithful General music keyboards entusiast.

Now to the main subject here I say the Genesy and Genesys Pro were a FLOP since they where born, I orderd the Genesys before even knowing what it would look like cause I was assured by the Italian dealer it was gonna have a BIG hards disk, and a cuitie keyboard, only to find out when I when to pick it up it was a monster of wieght and the hard disk that came with it wasn't even as speciefied, "They used the same hard disks they where using in WK8" 1.3GB instead of 2GB to get rid of the stock I guess they had, never got a refund for that, and this subject was brought here a while back .

Then I whent for the Genesys Pro nice to carry was very satisfied with the wieght,
Now I was told many times that there will be an upgrage in the os to fit a bigger hard disk,I am not talking bull here everyone said it will be capable of an upgrade and that's why I bought it having in mind I will upgrade, I feel that GENERAL MUSIC rushed into producing these 2 keyboards and it's not fair for us to end up like this, there was only a couple of upgrades and a patch or 2 but still the keyboards have many faults in the os worst one is "WHEN USING THE HARD DISK TO PLAY MIDI SONG" all sort of things happen and most probably in a night you end up having to restart a couple of times, here we are talking about something that is suppose to be pro.

Conclusion I had used and was pleased with all Gem keyboards before, but not these 2, nice souds, good styles, very user friendly, good screen, but a let down when it comes to using the HARD DISK and I feel that we should have been given an incentive to upgrade the mother board for a favourite price, if that doesn't happen I wouldn't ever suggest anyone buy Gem again I spent thousand of pounds in these 2 keyboars for nothing, have to sell them half price and get another reliable brand I guess.

I am bieng very costructive so don't think I am writing in any sort of anger.And I know what I am talking about I gig 7 nights a week so I know where the weakness of these keyboards are, I only put a couple of thing here, there is more, but I think all keyboards have there weaknesis.

I suggest you in USA to put pressure on the company to do something about it causae If it never happens I am goona make sure this will be known up to now I stayed quiete hoping there will be an upgrade kit, but now I am certain this is not the case I have many contacts in international forums and beleive me I am gonna make it a known fact over there.

I have nothing again you guys in the us but it's time to make a move on this subject.
Like me and tommy therer are many others I nkw off who feel like they were taken for a ride.

REgards to all
Tony.
Posted by: to the genesys

Re: OS for Genesys - 11/07/05 07:37 AM

http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum10/HTML/000353.html

Re upgrade for Genesys and Genesys pro to Gensys S features
Posted by: ziggy

Re: OS for Genesys - 11/07/05 10:04 AM

THx To The Genesys I know it's been said before not just in here.