MY GENESYS DIES

Posted by: DAN.2000

MY GENESYS DIES - 04/09/06 06:18 AM

Hi !
I have a Genesys. The first time i take it for gig, it doesn't want to boot. the error is : Unable to Access The Hard Disk!

Fortunately, I had time to go home and take my Ketron SD1. I work good after 4 year of gig

What to do with my Genesys? I tried to install the OS from CD , but It can't. Is it possible that the cable of the HD is unpluged? Is it simple to replug it?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: MY GENESYS DIES - 04/10/06 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DAN.2000:
Hi !
I have a Genesys. The first time i take it for gig, it doesn't want to boot. the error is : Unable to Access The Hard Disk!....
..... Is it possible that the cable of the HD is unpluged? Is it simple to replug it?

Hello,

Yes, it sounds like the hard drive cable has become detached. Open up the case and check both ends of the ribbon cable going from the main board to the hard drive. Also make sure the small power connector plugged into the hard drive is seated properly.

I have only known this to happen on one other Genesys and I believe that was due to a drop that the instrument took. Not saying that is the problem here, just pointing out that this is not a common issue.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

Re: MY GENESYS DIES - 04/10/06 09:19 AM

I hope this is just this !

Did you have any consil how to open the genesys?

I work with computers... and some electronics. I think it's easy. But there is something particular to know? (the screws to open)
The screws seems special.

Re: MY GENESYS DIES - 04/10/06 06:00 PM

Quote:
I hope this is just this !

Did you have any consil how to open the genesys?

I work with computers... and some electronics. I think it's easy. But there is something particular to know? (the screws to open)
The screws seems special.

Hi,

First the end-caps must be removed from each side of the case. The screws holding the end-caps in place require an allen wrench (I'm sorry I don't remember the size but it is a standard size).

Once the end-caps are removed, you will see normal phillips head screws that must be removed.

Then remove the small phillips head screws from the back side of the top panel right above the back panel.

Now the top panel will lift off. BE CAREFUL of the wiring harnesses that run between the front panel and mainboard when lifting the top. It helps to have something 2 or 3 inches high and the length of the keyboard sitting behind the instrument when you lift the top so you have something to sit it on while keeping the cables from getting strained.

I hope this helps. If any of this is not clear please contact the GEM distributor in your country to locate a service center in your area.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

Re: MY GENESYS DIES - 04/12/06 08:48 AM

Many thanks for your so fast support !
I know that you are the only one who really helps just when we need help !

1)I opened the genesys with your informations. It's easy to open ! 19 screws only without to have to put the front face of the keyb downside. I like it ! and this front panel pivot ! Gem are genius

Inside the Keyb, all seems very good construct and mounted! All cables are maintened with some glue, so It's very difficult to detach one.

The cables seems to be pluged correctely, so I replug them, and tested again.
The hard drive can'ot be acceced, but I can start the Synth drectely from CD-ROM.

After many trys, I finaly want to test the Hard drive, because it's a simple mobile PC Hard drive.

I opened the 4 screws of the hard drive (very well attached with rubber on the screws, to avoid choks and noise !)

But I heard a noise inside the 9 Gb HD, as if something inside the hard drive is detached.

To be sure, I pluged the hard drive instead of my secondary HD in my notebook, and the HD is not recongnized too.

I m computer engeener, and the diagnostic is that the IBM HD is dead !!

But I can swear that It's not my fault ! I turn on the gem only 20 times in its life.
I use Ketron SD1 for 5 years, and take it for gig 500 times, and the HD is always good.

I think it's an bad serial HD from IBM.
So what I can do?

2) From the first day, My genesys says : "battery completely discharged" when I power it up. Someone says to me that the battery is soldered on the mainboard, so I must send my genesys to a reparator.
But When I open it , I saw an 3 battery ensemble, put inside a red thing, with just a screw and a connector. Is it this battery to replace? It seem easy!

Best Regards,
Dan Z from France

Re: MY GENESYS DIES - 04/12/06 09:13 AM

Quote:
Many thanks for your so fast support !
I know that you are the only one who really helps just when we need help !
¡K..
1)I opened the genesys with your informations. It's easy to open ! 19 screws only without to have to put the front face of the keyb downside. I like it ! and this front panel pivot ! Gem are genius

Inside the Keyb, all seems very good construct and mounted! All cables are maintened with some glue, so It's very difficult to detach one.
¡K..
I m computer engeener, and the diagnostic is that the IBM HD is dead !!
¡K..
2) From the first day, My genesys says : "battery completely discharged" when I power it up. Someone says to me that the battery is soldered on the mainboard, so I must send my genesys to a reparator.
But When I open it , I saw an 3 battery ensemble, put inside a red thing, with just a screw and a connector. Is it this battery to replace? It seem easy!

Best Regards,
Dan Z from France

Hello Dan,

Thank you. I am not the only one, but I think I am at the top of the list. ļ

I am glad you find the construction of the Genesys to be of a quality design. It is a very roadworthy instrument.

I agree that it sounds like the hard drive is dead. Please contact the distributor in your country to determine the proper route to take in getting this resolved. Or you could just buy a new hard drive since they are fairly inexpensive these days and install the O/S and then you should be ready to go.

Speaking of the operating system, there was a time when the battery voltage was not being read properly which led the user to think that the battery was defective. This has been rectified in a past O/S release. I suggest you install the latest O/S version for your model and see if that solves this issue. Again the GEM distributor in your country should be able to get you the latest O/S CD.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

Re: MY GENESYS DIES - 04/12/06 09:56 AM

When I have a question, it's more easy to have the answer from You in USA (9 hours with airplane), than from my dealer many thanks

Regarding the HD, 9 Gb hard drive is difficult to find... you have any suggestion?

Regarding the battery
See my previous post http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum10/HTML/000314.html
so it's probably battery problem... is it soldered or just pluged?

Re: MY GENESYS DIES - 04/12/06 02:32 PM

Quote:
When I have a question, it's more easy to have the answer from You in USA (9 hours with airplane), than from my dealer many thanks

Regarding the HD, 9 Gb hard drive is difficult to find... you have any suggestion?

Regarding the battery
See my previous post http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum10/HTML/000314.html
so it's probably battery problem... is it soldered or just pluged?

Hello Dan,

Thank you for saying that. It makes me feel good that so many other people from around the world have similar feelings. I am very proud to work for Generalmusic and even though I am only employed by the US distributor, I have great concern for all GEM owners.

Regarding the hard drive; just find the smallest capacity you can find, i.e. 20, 40, 100, etc. The Genesys will only format to the original capacity that the particular model was designed for.
Original Genesys (with speakers), 2GB
Original Genesys Pro, 4GB
Genesys S, Pro S, XP and Ensemble, 20GB
Hard drive capacities are continually being increased, so during the manufacturing of the Genesys (and any hard drive enable product) it is very likely that the true hard drive capacity is larger that the design of the instrument can acknowledge.
NOTE: If you have the original Genesys or Genesys Pro, there is a hard drive kit available consisting of additional circuitry, O/S patch and 20GB hard drive. To my knowledge this is only available in Europe so unfortunately this is all I can tell about this kit.

For the battery issue, I would download and install the latest software patch
Genesys Pro software patch version 1.06 and then leave the instrument plugged in and turned on for 24 hours and then check the battery voltage. After you have installed this most recent software, and have attempted to fully charge the battery and the Genesys still has to do a hard boot from hard drive then yes it is probably the battery. And yes it is soldered into place. But if you are handy with a soldering gun and realize what precautions to take when working with a soldering gun around rechargeable batteries, then you shouldn't have any problem replacing them.

Just something to consider, in the thread you linked me to about the battery, you said
"at startup, the genesys says to me : battery completely discharged and must reload all the sounds into flash." This message does indicate that the battery is at fault. However, the fact that the hard drive may have been in the process of dying and was not able to boot the instrument up properly may have something to do with this message. So again I suggest installing a new hard drive and the software patch 1.06 and then allow the battery to gain a full charge. Then again, if you already have the case open, you might just want to replace the battery anyway.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 04-12-2006).]
Posted by: Giovanni

Re: MY GENESYS DIES - 04/13/06 09:43 AM

Hi Dave , I'm still waiting for my XP expander . I'm very interested to read about Hard drive capacities .
I read in the "keyboard player" magazine that featured the Xp expander about a year ago, the writer of the feature advised anyone that purchased the Xp module should spend about an extra £40 pounds and order the unit with a 40 gig hard drive instead of the 20 gig ,It seems to make sense .
Now reading as per usual your very good replies to anyones topics /queries that the module/keyboards will not be able to recognise the increased hard drive capacity as they are not designed to do work with a bigger memory .

I await with interest your reply and also the day when I actually receive my Xp module .

best regards ...........Giovanni (norwich Norfolk England)

ps thanks for all your hard work and dedication to the Gem forum

Re: MY GENESYS DIES - 04/13/06 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Giovanni:
Hi Dave , I'm still waiting for my XP expander . I'm very interested to read about Hard drive capacities .
I read in the "keyboard player" magazine that featured the Xp expander about a year ago, the writer of the feature advised anyone that purchased the Xp module should spend about an extra £40 pounds and order the unit with a 40 gig hard drive instead of the 20 gig ,It seems to make sense .
Now reading as per usual your very good replies to anyones topics /queries that the module/keyboards will not be able to recognise the increased hard drive capacity as they are not designed to do work with a bigger memory .

I await with interest your reply and also the day when I actually receive my Xp module .

best regards ...........Giovanni (norwich Norfolk England)

ps thanks for all your hard work and dedication to the Gem forum

Hello Giovanni,

Actually you bring up a very good point. I do believe that the newer Genesys models, (S, XP and Ensemble) can access a 40GB hard drive. Thanks for mentioning that and sorry I didn’t think to include that information.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

Re: MY GENESYS DIES - 05/15/06 06:24 AM

Hi !
Finally, I bought a new 20 Gb Hard drive. The genesys pro format it at 4Gb, and install the OS. The genesys work again !!
But I can't install the last version 1.06!
I downloaded it inside the floppy, and the genesys says : "read file error"
Is it a disk problem, or your file OS is bad? can you try to load it in your instrument? note than the 1.05 works OK. I will test with a new floppy disk

I bought a 20 Gb and not 10 Gb HD, because I want to upgrade my genesys pro to an genesys pro S oriental... and it's a first step
Next, I will need the Mother board replacement

Can you tell me the price approx. of the moteherboard Genesys pro S? (As if mine was brocken)

I really think the battery is bad from the first day, because with the 1.05 OS and the keyboard turned on all the night, the battery jauge is always at 0... But let see with the new OS...

But in my genesys the battery doesn't seem to be soldered.. It's a 3 AA battery red ensemble pluged with a connector on the power main board, maintened with 2 screws... is it the thing to replace? it's seems very easy...

Re: MY GENESYS DIES - 05/16/06 06:47 AM

Finnaly the Last OS is installed, turned on 24H, but always battery problem...