Help!.....I goofed....

Posted by: msutliff

Help!.....I goofed.... - 09/11/03 06:55 AM

Hello GeneralMusic folks,

Well, it's going on 4 years that I've had my WK8 and everthing has been smooth sailing....Until last night.

I was loading some midi files onto the hard drive so I had Hard Drive Protect turned off. I then cleared out the song list or RAM via the control in the General setup section. I then proceeded to play some music, not midi files, actually playing the keyboard. I then decided to load a sound bank, the String1 sound bank to be exact. I hit Disk, didn't notice that my last function was to Save, scrolled down the Block List to SN_STRN1.BLK and hit the Enter key.

BONG! goes the bell in my head but too late. Nothing was in RAM, so my SAVE function deleted the STRING1 block. And I don't have backup copy of it. By the way, SystemRestore does not restore this and I didn't think it would.

So here's my question, can somebody with a WK8 or SK880 copy the SN_STRN1.BLK to a floppy and then email me the contents?

msutliff@tc.umn.edu

I would really appreciate it!

Which brings up my next question. What would I do if I had a HardDrive failure? Does GeneralMusic have the entire contents of the WK8's HD on a different medium, say CD for instance (I know the Genesys does)? If not, I better get crackin' on backing everything up to floppy. Nope, I don't have the SCSI board installed. That option is looking better and better by the minute.

Thanks in advance.

mike

[This message has been edited by msutliff (edited 09-11-2003).]
Posted by: sk880user

Re: Help!.....I goofed.... - 09/11/03 01:44 PM

msutliff,

Isn't String1 part of ROM? You cannot erase it from Rom. It is always there. I believe you can restore that sound from ROM.
Posted by: PaulD

Re: Help!.....I goofed.... - 09/11/03 10:52 PM

I am not sure what block you lost, but is there is a way to get them back for you, I will be sure that you do get them... It does sound to me like the block that is in RAM.

Re: Help!.....I goofed.... - 09/12/03 07:34 AM

Good morning guys,

Thanks for the response. I feel relatively confident that this sound block which is included on the hard drive is not part of the normal string kit that would be included in ROM (but I'm no expert, that's for sure).

Last night I had the manual out looking at the very beginning, the additional insert that describes all that is included on the hard drive. First ya get all those great songs (midi files but in block format), then you get all those additional sounds and then the additional styles.

Most of the sounds are new samples right? When you load them, you get the little curly-cue after it indicating it's made from an outside sample. Plus, when loading the SN_STRN1 block, you get that message that states you will replacing sounds temporarily in ROM, perform a General Reset to get the original sounds back.

I went to GM's site and grabbed a copy of the manual. It's on page 13 of the Hard Drive List section. SN_STRN1...16 different string samples.

So I need somebody to load that block into RAM, then save the RAM contents to a floppy and save as SN_STRN1.BLK. Unless somebody has a copy from a backup or something.

Thanks again in advance.

mike

Re: Help!.....I goofed.... - 09/16/03 11:19 AM

Hmmm....No takers uh?

Okay, I'll up the ante, anybody that sends me a working copy of the SN_STRN1.BLK found on the hard drive of a WK8, SK880 or possibly a WK6 will receive some great midi files.

mike
Posted by: George Kaye

Re: Help!.....I goofed.... - 09/16/03 05:19 PM

Ok,
I got it on my WK6 hard drive. I'll send it to you in a couple of minutes.......where's those midi files?
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

Re: Help!.....I goofed.... - 09/23/03 07:05 AM

Hello,

I just wanted to thank George Kaye for stepping up and helping me out here.

Thank You!!!

He sent me a copy of the file I accidentally erased so I'm back in business.

George, I owe ya one!

mike