Fantom X6 or Motif ES6

Posted by: Vinny Wolf

Fantom X6 or Motif ES6 - 09/18/07 09:08 AM

I am looking to add another workstation to my setup. I curently have a Triton LE and just sold my K2000 (I know, I think that was a mistake). Anyhew, I am having a hard time choosing between the Roland Fantom X6 and the Yamaha Motif ES6. I have been reading alot of posts on different synth forums about the low quality of sounds on the Fantom and the fact that you need to have a PhD to operate the Motif. I'm kinda leaning toward the Roland, but the quality of the sound set out-of-the-box is very important to me since I'm not really into programming new ones or tweaking existing ones.

I'd like to hear opinions from user who own either one of these boards or have had a chance to check them out.

Thanks,

Vinny
Posted by: RW

Re: Fantom X6 or Motif ES6 - 09/19/07 09:57 AM

Hi Vinny,

I have an ES7 and I really don't find it all that difficult to program and use. It is a complex piece of equipment but I've gotten along pretty well and the motifator.com user group is very active with highly imformative people.

The sound quality of the Motif was the key reason I went with Yamaha over Korg and Roland.

You can over come the learning curve but you can only go so far with sounds you're not enjoying.

Plus there is voice editing and multi part editors for the motifs, they help but I've not needed them to this point. Not that I'm an expert on the thing either.

The choice is yours for sure I just wanted to somewhat encourage you about the learning curve. I know for some a great user interface is vital, to me, sound quality outwieghs user friendliness.

Best wishes
Bob
<><
Posted by: tino1

Re: Fantom X6 or Motif ES6 - 09/19/07 08:09 PM

Motif es6 .
Posted by: 3351

Re: Fantom X6 or Motif ES6 - 09/21/07 01:35 PM

+3

Motif ES6.

cheers,
Posted by: freddynl

Re: Fantom X6 or Motif ES6 - 09/21/07 05:30 PM

No,No,No,... you're better off with a K2600S! particularly since you had a K2000!
Posted by: 3351

Re: Fantom X6 or Motif ES6 - 09/22/07 05:59 AM

If the Kurz is on the menu then I vote for one too.

cheers,

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 09-22-2007).]
Posted by: Vinny Wolf

Re: Fantom X6 or Motif ES6 - 10/03/07 05:08 PM

Well, I didn't end up buying either. I went to Guitar Center to play around with a few boards and I have to say, IMHO, that I was SEVERELY disappointed with the Fantom X6. The sounds seemed no better than my Triton LE and the board itself just seemed kinda cheap. But hey, what do I know.
They didn't have a ES, but they did have a Notif XS6. After about ten minutes or so of playing with it, I was completely blown away.
That is one of the most impressive boards I have ever used!
Apparently one of the weaknesses of the ES was the small, monochrome screen (as opposed to the Fantom's LCD color).
The screen on the XS, in my opinion, rivals the Fantom. Full size, LCD and color!
The sounds were VERY impressive, and the performances were UNREAL.
I ended up getting one on eBay for $1700 shipped. Not sure if that's a good deal or not, but they wanted $2200 at GC.

Anyhew, thanks again for all the advice. I went into this thing really wanting to go with the Fantom. I've never owned a Yamaha before, but I was so impressed with the XS that I decided that it was definitely the hands-down winner.

Now, I just have to wait for it to be shipped