Looking for a beginner's synth

Posted by: tekminus

Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/14/05 03:15 PM

Is the Waldorf Wave any good?

Hello gang. It's been a while. How's things in the music world? I still have my gear, but photography really keeps me busy these days.

(Hope I can remember my password..think it was paul61smells)

-tek
Posted by: freddynl

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/14/05 03:38 PM

Sure Tek, welcome back
(missed the jokes )

How about the access virus C
(I love it...)

oeps forgot to mention;
paul61 is still loooooooking.....

[This message has been edited by freddynl (edited 01-14-2005).]
Posted by: 3351

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/14/05 03:59 PM

TRY POSTING YOUR QUESTION AT THE GENERAL ARRANGER SECTION!

-Uncle Edminus-61

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/14/05 04:10 PM

Actually Tek should enter "The Bar" section which is open.
You find "The Bar" under General Arranger Section.
Posted by: Bluezplayer

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/15/05 05:21 PM

I recommend .... Ensoniq SQ1
Posted by: Pennywizz6

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/15/05 10:53 PM

Id go with a roland Juno-D, fair price. Great stuff in that package. http://www.roland.com/products/en/JUNO-D/

Phil

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/16/05 07:29 AM

Hmm ED you have a point.. An arranger might JUST be what Tek needs.. nah.. I still think the Ensoniq is the best way for him to go..lol

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-16-2005).]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/16/05 08:12 AM

freddynl: I am saving up for a Triton Le. But I am always on the look out for older vintage analog gear.

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/16/05 09:01 AM

Aah..it's all coming back now!

-tek

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/16/05 09:15 AM

On a more serious note....... Paul I'm going tomorrow to look at an entire studio that's up for sale. A minimoog is included. Don;t know what it's condition is yet, but I'll know tomorrow. I do everything analog with softsynths now, but I'll still buy it if it looks and works well, and the price is right. Maybe I'll even keep it, but then again... maybe not.

AJ

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/16/05 09:34 AM

Hey AJ, you posted that same resopnse or one simmilar, on one of my posts over in the Yamaha Discussion.

Anyway Let me know.

Paul
Posted by: lowfrequencyoscillator

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/20/05 12:47 PM

A great begginers synth - MICROKORG or Alesis MICRON . Analog modeling , no crappy samples , CHEAP ! Lots of features packed in those things .

Paul , of all the digital boards you bought and then sold because you don't like the lack of control , the Triton LE wouldn't make you happy either . You are an analog guy , nothing wrong with that . If you want something new - MS-2000 , Alesis ION , Microkorg , Alesis Micron . Cheap ! Save Money Good , Ug Likes !

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/22/05 10:23 AM

So what your saying is don't get the Triton le? I don't think it was lack of control, although I may have said that, I won't deny that. It was trying to find the right synth, plus trying to get out of the one track state of mind. Plus trying to find the type of music I want to play and create. Which is New Age/world/Asian/african/Nataive american.

Don't get me wrong I still love analog synthesizers. I just thought that the Triton Le would help me in my creativity and achieving my goals in music.

[This message has been edited by Paul-61 (edited 01-22-2005).]

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/22/05 10:52 AM

Well , if you need samples for your music , then you may need it . If you don't , then I wouldn't get it .

What about the Juno-D , it's a sample playback synth and it's even cheaper than the Triton LE .

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/22/05 11:03 AM

Actually I was thinking both, analog and digital.

Yea, I know but I feel the Triton has what I want, plus I prefer KORG's sounds to Roland's.

I have never been too impressed with Roland as I have with KORG.

There is the possiblity thet KORG will eventually stop production on the Le and the price will drop tremendously.

[This message has been edited by Paul-61 (edited 01-22-2005).]

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/23/05 01:53 PM

Hello, sexy! Ok, only a decade more or so, and we can start picking these up second hand for peanuts.

-tek

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/23/05 03:40 PM

uh! Picking up what for peanuts? tek:

Sorry but I don't see a pic?

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/24/05 01:46 PM

Do you have the latest Internet?

-tek

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/24/05 03:16 PM

Since Tek is in photography I'm pretty sure he'll post the picture in about ten years from now

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/24/05 07:51 PM

I don't know what I have? tek:

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/25/05 07:03 AM

Paul,

The Moog worked out well. My guitarist acquired it with the whole package, but he was liking it a lot and I think he may want to keep it.

AJ

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/25/05 04:46 PM

Well these things happen. You can still keep trying. I have seen a few pop up on ebay. Or there is always the Voyager.

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/25/05 05:17 PM

Paul, learn to read!!!

-ED-

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/25/05 05:26 PM

ED: Did I miss something?

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/25/05 05:43 PM

I'm just messin wit cha!

-ED-

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/25/05 08:09 PM

The Voyager is very nice Paul..I enjoyed playing around with one ... On the other hand, for a lot less, I'd say I'm pretty satisfied with my Arturia Moogs ( Modular and Mini ), along with all the other "softies" I have... lots of 'em that all added up together still cost me less than a Voyager.

It would be kinda cool to have the real thing too ( vintage Moog ), and mess around with plugging in the wires and so forth..Of course, using software isn't quite like the expwerience of using a real piece of hardware, but the sounds are pretty much there.

I so wanted a CS80 back in it's heyday, but back then I couldn't dream of affording one. The best part of all of this now is being able to have all of them ( virtually of course ) inside of a 9 lb laptop that can go just about anywhere.

AJ

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/26/05 05:28 AM

Ah! That's what a thought, you crazy nut you. ED:

Well AJ, as long as your satisfied with what you have. Then don't sweat it. Virtual synths are nice, but me persoanlly I like to be able to grab a knob and physically turn it.

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/26/05 06:52 PM

Oh..you can grab a knob and turn it..or push a slider ... you just have to set your softsynth up to link with your controller. FL studio makes it that much easier.

No, it isn't the same though. On the other hand, vintage gear is really getting to be 'vintage'.. and sometimes difficult or even impossible to fix.

AJ

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/27/05 03:13 PM

True! After all KORG's Legacy Collection has an MS-20 USB controller.

If you can find vintage gear in good shape that's a good thing. But there are a few places I know of that still repair vintage gear.

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/27/05 04:01 PM

I repair all of my old gear . I even take the time to repair the Italian stuff , I got tired of listening to all the techs at repair shops crying like little girls about having to touch the Italian stuff .

Re: Looking for a beginner's synth - 01/27/05 04:56 PM

Oh! Well that's cool that you repair your own stuff.

I am still look for vintage synths. Problem is trying to find ones at reasonable prices.