Not to repeat myself...About synth bass.

Posted by: eltico

Not to repeat myself...About synth bass. - 06/20/07 12:30 PM

I think I finally have the question I've been meaning to ask all along. I'm new to synthesizers in general. I don't think I want to mess with a vintage synth, because I wouldn't know how to maintain it. Anyway, is there a company, any company at all, that makes a NEW synth specifically for bass? The newest I've found is the Novation Bass Station, but even those are hard to come by. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and then I promise to drop this subject. Thanks.
Posted by: Justin Gazda

Re: Not to repeat myself...About synth bass. - 06/20/07 01:51 PM

The Basstation is from 1994, built out of late 70's technology, and I have one. It doesn't work, and novation will not release the schematics to me. Fortunatley I know how to fix it.

So perhaps you should get a new synth. I would get a something from Clavia. They seem to be the most serious about what they make, and it shows in the sound quality.

[This message has been edited by Justin Gazda (edited 06-20-2007).]
Posted by: 3351

Re: Not to repeat myself...About synth bass. - 06/20/07 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eltico:
I think I finally have the question I've been meaning to ask all along. I'm new to synthesizers in general. I don't think I want to mess with a vintage synth, because I wouldn't know how to maintain it. Anyway, is there a company, any company at all, that makes a NEW synth specifically for bass? The newest I've found is the Novation Bass Station, but even those are hard to come by. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and then I promise to drop this subject. Thanks.

Nothing bass specific comes to mind either than some software synths. ON one hand those would be cheaper to get a hold of but on the other you'll need to invest in an audio card, some RAM and most important of all you'll need a CPU from hell. With Arturia stuff anyway.

Some of the following hardware VA synths might sound a bit harsh comparing to something like the VIrus TI or Clavia Nord G2X but check them out anyway:

1. Novation NOva, Supernova. Supernova II.

2. Clavia's Nord lead, Nord rack, Nord modular.

3. Access Virus, Virus B, Virus C, Virus rack.

4. Waldorf Pulse. Pulse+ if you find one cheap enough and like analog filters. Waldorf no longer officialy support those but have enough spare parts.

5. Yamaha An1x. (I have a couple Plg-150 A1x boards in my Motif ES and they are fantastic. Very smooth. At least comparing to something like the Waldorf MQ or Novation Nova.

So here you go. Check out eBay, check out what's in your local stores. There's lots and lots to choose from.

Hey, if someone offers you a Minimoog Voyager or a little phatty real cheap just go 4 it. Beats using some of the overpriced calculators I've mentioned. LOL

cheers,

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 06-21-2007).]