MIDI patch bay/interface question

Posted by: RW

MIDI patch bay/interface question - 10/05/04 09:46 AM

I picked up at a yard sale this past weekend a MOTU Midi Express PC for 5 bucks. It has a serial port connection and 6 Midi Ins and 6 Midi outs. Definitely Pre-USB.

Is anyone familiar with this product? Does anyone have a driver for it if it needs one?

Thanks
Bob
<><
Posted by: 3351

Re: MIDI patch bay/interface question - 10/06/04 07:33 AM

Check www.motu.com

-ED-
Posted by: 3351

Re: MIDI patch bay/interface question - 10/06/04 09:59 AM

Hey, BTW I also have a MOTU interface (slightly different from yours. Mine is an 8 port MIDI Express that works with both MAC and PC) and I had no luck trying to make it work with Windows XP.
Even though I have downloaded and installed the right drivers I could not get my PC to communicate with the Interface. I have tried using different ports and different tricks but it was pointless. Nothing worked.

That is why you can see so much used pre-USB MIDI interfaces going for two bucks a dozen. (I better be wrong! LOL)
Odds are half that stuff will not work with XP and even OSX.

-ED-
Posted by: RW

Re: MIDI patch bay/interface question - 10/07/04 09:47 AM

Thanks Ed,
The MOTU page refers to the Midi Express PC has needing the PCI card that originally came with the interface ( I guess it came with it). The site did have the driver and some console program, but I don't have that PCI card, just a parallel port. So I don't think the thing will work anyway, but I'll try it. Thanks again. BTW my laptop (IBM Thinkpad) is currently running Win ME but I'll have to upgrade sometime anyway.

Thanks for the info though. At least now I have a driver!!! That's one step closer.

Peace
Bob
<><