Novation NOVA synth.

Posted by: 3351

Novation NOVA synth. - 10/02/03 11:27 AM

Is that synth any good?
How is it comparing to NORD?
Posted by: tekminus

Re: Novation NOVA synth. - 10/02/03 11:38 AM

Which Nord? There's Nordlead 1,2,3 and 2X. Every Novation I've tried has sounded really good. I was very close to buying a Supernova II rack a while ago. I'd go for the NL3 though. The unison where you keep all of the polyphony is great. It's hands down the sexiest synth available at the moment.

-tek

Re: Novation NOVA synth. - 10/02/03 12:11 PM

What stopped you from buing the supernova?
And why is NL3 better?

Re: Novation NOVA synth. - 10/02/03 12:19 PM

I needed the money to repair and restore my apartment. New floors in the hallway and kitchen, brand new bathroom too. Other stuff popped into my sights, like the Nord Modular rack I have now.

I'm not sure the NL3 is better, but I like the way Clavia do synths. It's just quality and ace design. The sound is very pleasing.

-tek

Re: Novation NOVA synth. - 10/02/03 12:36 PM

Well, I decided to pick one up.
I just cheched with my dealer and he said that NOVATION stuff is pretty reliable and that the support 's pretty good. I have to admit, it's a great sounding box. I'll also look out for the new G2 nord modular. Thanks tek!
ED

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 10-02-2003).]

Re: Novation NOVA synth. - 10/03/03 11:28 AM

Well, I just bought one!
The sound is great. Lots of fat textures with a lot of motion and depth. I love it!

ED

Re: Novation NOVA synth. - 10/04/03 01:07 AM

Novation has made great stuff ever since the Bass Station keyboard. I guess everyone was a bit shocked that someone would make an analog bass synth at such a nice price.

-tek

Re: Novation NOVA synth. - 10/04/03 09:00 AM

Say..
Did they ever make a Basstation module?
PS
The NOVA module is SMOKIM'
I haven't had so much fun in years!
Happy ED

Re: Novation NOVA synth. - 10/04/03 10:48 AM

Yes. Most people only remember the module version. They also made the long forgotten Drumstation, with 808 and 909 emulations. I think some of it was done with samples. Some day, when no-one wants one (or knows what the hell it is), I'll buy one just for the 808 hats.

-tek

Re: Novation NOVA synth. - 10/04/03 01:37 PM

Sounds like an idea Tek!
Since the original 808s and 909s cost like $1000 nowadays.
My new NOVA does pretty good 909/808 type kicks, claps and hats.
I thing it's basically the same engine as a
Bassstation and a Drumstation, just d slightly different direction.
BTW how do you connent the modules on your NORD modular (swithches or virtual connections)?

Re: Novation NOVA synth. - 10/04/03 02:40 PM

You build synths in the PC editor. You can download and run the editor even if you don't have the synth itself. You won't hear anything of course, but the editor works just like it does when you have the hardware.

When your patch is done, you can save it into the synth and use it as a standalone instrument. You only need the editor for the patching. Edit: To answer your question: You drag virtual patch leads with the mouse.

-tek

[This message has been edited by tekminus (edited 10-04-2003).]

Re: Novation NOVA synth. - 10/04/03 02:41 PM

Oh and the "engine" in the Bass Station is made of analog circuitry

-tek

Re: Novation NOVA synth. - 10/04/03 03:16 PM

Tek!
I've done some checking and in every review of the Bass Station they say that the Bass Station is pseudo-analog. It's got DCOs not VCOs.
You see, back in the 80's DCO stood for digitally controlled analog oscillators. Nowadays synth makers use the terms VCO and DCO on their analog modeling synths just to use "retro" terminology.

Some reviews refered to the Bass Station as a "analog-style" synth. But none confirm the presence of analog circuitry.
Where did you find out that it's got analog circuitry?

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 10-04-2003).]

Re: Novation NOVA synth. - 10/04/03 05:44 PM

There were no analog modelling synths in 1993-94, when the Bass Station Keyboard came out. The first ever analog modelling synth, the Clavia Nordlead, didn't come until 1995. Even then the Future Music staff had to open up the review unit to believe it. Or so they said.

It's analog alright, even if the oscillators are digitally stable.

-tek

edit: the nord appeared 1995 and nothing else.

[This message has been edited by tekminus (edited 10-09-2003).]

Re: Novation NOVA synth. - 10/04/03 08:41 PM

I didn't even know that it came out in 93.

That's why I got so confused.
I didn't doubt what you were saying though, You're right there was no modeling in 93. VL-1 was still just an idea and nobody even thought of analog modeling. I was too busy with recording around that time to pay attention to synth market.

BTW
A found a NORD modular (for about a $1000 canadian). Do you think it's worth pickong up, or should I wait for next version ro come out (the G2 I think).

Re: Novation NOVA synth. - 10/05/03 11:43 PM

I would wait. I've seen lots of cheap modulars and they'll probably drop even more when the G2 comes out. If it's the keyboard with the expansion card, then I'd buy it. The expansion installs an additional 4 processors into it. The G2 will cost probably twice that much or more.

I was lucky to get my modular rack for about 450 USD at a pawn shop auction thingy.

-tek