"comping" what is it really?

Posted by: RW

"comping" what is it really? - 01/25/06 10:50 AM

I've heard a few musicians say "man I was comping for this guy the other night" or " I was so glad when I could finally comp her licks".

I just acted like I knew what they were talking about

But I've heard the term used in what seems two different ways. One meaning seems to mean playing rhythm for someone else who's playing lead or melody over and the other meaning was used like in copying someone elses riff/licks/phrase...

How do you use the term? What's it mean to you? Thanks

Bob
<><
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: "comping" what is it really? - 01/25/06 11:56 AM

Bob, it simply means , backing them up, usually chords, maybe turn arounds, and maybe a solo...
Posted by: shboom

Re: "comping" what is it really? - 01/25/06 04:39 PM

"Complimenting" or "Compensating"
I was playing this or that to "compliment" what they were doing.
I was playing this or that to "compensate" for what was missing.

...Take your pick...

------------------
...shboom
Posted by: Bigdaddy

Re: "comping" what is it really? - 01/26/06 04:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RW:
[B]I've heard a few musicians say "man I was comping for this guy the other night" or " I was so glad when I could finally comp her licks".

WELL if they are my age (43) they remember that "comping" is a style of piano playing - basically a rythm accompaniment in which chords are played with each hand alternatively in a sort of rythm guitar pattern. Roughly.

BD

Re: "comping" what is it really? - 01/26/06 08:14 AM

Thanks all.
I have a much better idea now.... I also, for the heck of it, typed my question into a yahoo search bar and found Wikipedia.... nice thing this Wikipedia... here's what they say.... very interesting...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comping

<><

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 01-26-2006).]
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: "comping" what is it really? - 01/26/06 08:46 AM

I was taught that "Comping" is the act of realtime composing over a standard melody or harmony. In jazz, you could refer to this as enharmonization.

Al
Posted by: raymb1

Re: "comping" what is it really? - 01/26/06 08:24 PM

Generally speaking, any playing of chords to back up a singer or horn is comping. Later, Ray
Posted by: dBr

Re: "comping" what is it really? - 02/23/06 06:47 PM

The term "comp" is actually short for accompany or accompaniment. It refers to playing changes behind the soloist or melody in a supporting role. What you probably heard about the licks was someone saying they were happy they could "cop" her licks. This refers to being able to pick out/transcribe and play the phrases in question. Hope this helps.

Brach

Re: "comping" what is it really? - 02/27/06 07:44 AM

Hey Brach,

or perhaps if I heard them(her) correctly, she actually didn't use the term "comp" correclty. It's pretty obvious to me that she meant "copy" or "cop". And then again.... sometimes I ust don't listen too well

Bob
<><