SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#14081 - 12/26/98 10:58 PM F*I*Z*M*O??
MynDwave Offline

Loc: Fontana, CA
Ok, I don't see anything here on this little gem...I just got my hands on that FIZMO board at Guitar Center...What is up with that? I guess I'll head to Ensoniq's site for more, but the thing is mesmerizing. Awesome for otherworldly pads, warped ambient pleasures....FUN! Anybody do anything "practical" with this beautiful noise box?

#14082 - 01/12/99 08:27 PM Re: F*I*Z*M*O??
Summer Offline

Loc: Odense, Denmark
Ok... FIZMO looks impressive! But do you know how it compares to stuff like Roland JP-8000 and is it any good for making techno/trance/dance/rave?

Regs.
P. Sommer

#14083 - 01/15/99 12:04 AM Re: F*I*Z*M*O??
MynDwave Offline

Loc: Fontana, CA
Ok. Maybe I was a little starry eyed. I jammed on the board for about 1/2 hour and was kind of overcome by the random effects the control knobs had. The machine has a way of coming off a bit more mystical and organic than the JP (the god of analog modeling.) While the JP is a true mind blower, it can be quite literal and clinical. The FIZMO has an unknown quality that I can't pinpoint, just a feel and a layering of sounds that would defy mechanical reproduction on the JP.
But after searching around (www.ENSONIQUE.COM has an adequate spec page & PR sheet on the board)I came across a review at musicmachines that brought me down to earth:
http://www.hyperreal.org/music/machines/manufacturers/Ensoniq/Fizmo/info/Fizmo.review

Best bet, get to a store and see for yourself. I am not a pro musician. Just an amateur composer, and I can see myself using the FIZMO as well as the JP-8000 to push the envelope, so to speak...

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online