SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#14287 - 02/22/00 03:32 PM Failure of E2PROM
Mike Nelson Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove,MN,USA
Hi, I purchased a used E2PROM catridge thinking it would be great with my SD-1. The board however doesn't acknowledge the cartridge. So I wonder whether the failure is in the EPROM or on the keyboard's interface? Or did Ensoniq makke more than one type of cartridge? It doesn't list any particular model for which it might be intended, or what is its capacity. Maybe someone else has been in this spot and could help me out. Thanks!mn

#14288 - 03/01/00 10:23 AM Re: Failure of E2PROM
Fernando Justo Offline

Loc: Rio de Janeiro,Brazil
Hi Mike,
I don't know if it will help, but Ensoniq ESQ-1 cartridges have an signature in the 192 last bytes, not used by the parameters.
The EEPROM is 8k X 8 = 8192 bytes.
Each patch is 100 bytes long and the cartridge can store 80 patches using 8000 bytes from the memory.
The synth verifies these bytes to assure that the cartridge belongs to that model of synth, but you don't have access to modify these bytes through the synth.
You need an eprom programer to copy an existing cartridge to that one (all the bytes). Then you may use this cartridge as you want, assuming your cartridge and synth are working properly.
The SD-1 may be the same. I'm not sure.

#14289 - 03/02/00 02:59 PM Re: Failure of E2PROM
Mike Nelson Offline

Thanks, Fernando. At least there's some hope that it's not machine or chip failure. Stay tuned, when I get it figured out I'll post.mn

#14290 - 05/08/00 04:23 PM Re: Failure of E2PROM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The only thing I remember that might help is that there were 2 kinds of cartridges, one you can write and one you can't (with preset programs).
What's yours?
And are you sure you put it right?
I'm asking you because I remember many of us were fooled by this trick...

#14291 - 05/29/00 09:22 AM Re: Failure of E2PROM
Mike Nelson Offline

Thanks for your input.
The cartridge is labeled E2PROM Storage Catrtidge. So I'm assuming it's writable. It won't insert backwards; that's in the design of the case. When I try to copy internals to it the keyboard tells me 'write failure : press any key to continue'...now I just have to find that 'any' key... :<{)

I checked the SD1 manual again aand it refers to a Stor-Cart...so maybe I've got something designed for an earlier product.
Thanks again.mn

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online