#13676 - 08/17/00 01:28 AM Use Pro-rec sounds (Vintage Keys) to Classic Keys
howardlau Offline

Loc: HONG KONG. PRC
I bought synth sound disks from Pro-Rec,
which are in Vintage Key formats. They
claimed that they can be used in Classic
Keys.

However, I cannot successfully import those
sounds into my Classic Keys. Do anyone do this successfully? Please share experience.

Many Thanks.

LAU

#13677 - 08/27/00 07:22 PM Re: Use Pro-rec sounds (Vintage Keys) to Classic Keys
Mike Nelson Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove,MN,USA
I also ordered those those sounds from Pro-Rec, and they would not load. Moreover when I tried to look at them in a sysex editor the floppy refused to let me see them. I have never had an 'access denied' before. I reported the problem to them and they have stopped replying to my messages.

I downloaded a pdf of the vintage keys manual to see the program structure. It is a Classic Keys with the addition of portamento and a fairly simple filter. The result is that a Vintage Keys patch is 15 bytes longer than one for Classic Keys, and has a different byte value for the model ID. If you just trimmed the excess program off and changed the ID byte, you'd have a checksum that would no longer be valid. I don't know if the Classic will automatically compensate because my Prorec disc won't give upits secrets. Contact me off board about what might be done. "Works with Classic Keys" carrises some caveats if you ask me.mn

mikenels@gateway.net

#13678 - 09/03/00 05:46 PM Re: Use Pro-rec sounds (Vintage Keys) to Classic Keys
Mike Nelson Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove,MN,USA
I downloaded some single VKeys patches from a German site (see Synth Zone under E-mu). One by one I put them into MIDI-OX and chopped the extra 16 bytes off (before the checksum)and changed the model ID byte. And guess what, they loaded into Classic Keys! The system doesn't care if the checksum is no longer valid, just that the byte count is right and IDs are right.

The question for anyone who has been able to view the Pro-Rec sounds in an editor: are they stored as singles? It's feasible to edit as a bank but not fun; you have to have hex and ASCII side by side to be sure where you are.

Another question: being that Classic Keys lacks the filter and portamento of the Vintage Keys,would many of these sounds be worth having?Especially synths.

Last, I'd humbly request that someone else in this boat contact Pro-Rec about the validity and merits of 'works with Classic Keys' as they really don't want to talk to me any more. Thanks.mn

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online