SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#13074 - 09/27/06 04:18 PM Creating auto-accomp chord loops for playing in real time - WK-3700
Falcon XR6 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Vic, Aust
Good morning.

I have also posted this on the arranger keyboard forum.

I prefer to do the traditional three (or four) finger bridge-chord auto-accompaniment with the left hand (plonk-and-play chords), and leave any fancy stuff to the right hand. I am not a pianist so rely almost exclusively on an ear for music and a knowledge of what fingers constitutes a chord for the left hand.

Obviously the WK-3700 is perfectly capable for that use with its presets.

But equally, I like to use my own customised rhythms, bass and chord lines when I'm doing the above. It allows being creative with what the left hand is up to without the skill of being a trained pianist.

On previous machines I've owned it has been a very simple task to create my own rhythm/chord loops (on one, using a pre-set a template and then playing my own bass/drums/strings/piano loops over the top to replace the preset ones). Simple matter of storing the new one in the "user" slot and then playing Am, Em, C, whatever I'm in the mood for, with the new "rhythm". Likewise with any fill-ins, intros and endings.

Could someone please tell me what is the EASIEST, most accurate and LEAST FIDDLY way to create those chord loops that can be played in real-time, for the WK-3700?

I understand there is computer software available that will allow one to do this. How easy is it to use?

The music I would play/compose using the above would be trance/house/electric pop/new age styles. Accurate, symmetrical, repetitive loops are preferred in this case.

Thanks in advance.

Gav

#13075 - 09/28/06 09:24 AM Re: Creating auto-accomp chord loops for playing in real time - WK-3700
jford Offline

Hi, Gav -

The WK-3700 (actually the WK-3xxx series) all have software that allows you to create your own patterns. You'll also need to use a MIDI sequencer program (I use PGMusic's PowerTracks). With the sequencer program, you create your patterns in the key of C, including parts for intros, rhythms, variations, and endings. You can import a created MIDI file into the pattern editor and use it to generate a pattern you can load into your keyboard (into one of the user slots). The manual goes into detail about how to do this. It's not a difficult process once you try it once or twice, but will take a little bit of time to create a pleasing pattern. Check out the software user manual under the heading "Rhythm Converter".

Hope this helps.

- John

#13076 - 09/28/06 03:34 PM Re: Creating auto-accomp chord loops for playing in real time - WK-3700
Falcon XR6 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Vic, Aust
Thanks a million, John.

Gav

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online