SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#422289 - 06/15/16 10:22 PM MOMBOC's Software Arranger / Virtual Organ System
MOMBOC Offline

Hello,

A post to introduce myself.

I am a new member to this Forum but a long time user of a virtual/software based Arranger/Organ music system.

I have been evolving my system as PCs, operating systems, sound cards & other peripherals, software and samplesets have developed and improved over the years. I used to have some hardware instruments (Hammond A100 + 147 Leslie, Yamaha EL70, Lowrey D325, Allen 301B etc) but these took up a lot of space so I decided to go virtual and save space and money.

The primary considerations in building my virtual system were that:

1. it is expandable - so that you can start with a simple arrangement and grow it over time,
2. it is modular - so that any component can be upgraded or replaced without having to throw away the whole thing,
3. it can be reconfigured - so that it can be changed and adapated according to evolving needs or new ideas,
4. it is not proprietary - so that you are not dependent upon a single manufacturer,
5. it is relatively inexpensive - so that you don't have to fork out $$$$ for a decent instrument, particularly when compared to a name brand,
6. it is multi role - so it can play as an arranger, synth, a hammond organ, a pipe organ, a theatre organ, a home entertainment organ and anything else that I want in a single instrument - with common controllers,
7. it's fun to play and play with

My current system consists of:

a PC with:
i7 Intel Processor
12GB RAM
M-Audio 1010 Soundcard
Windows 7

Cakewalk Sonar

vArranger
Band in a Box
NI Komplete 10 (mainly using Kontakt5 Sampler)
NI Kontakt Libary plus some third party libraries (Vir2 Intruments and Sonic Reality)
Haupwerk
Silver Octopus 80 Rank Willis Pipe Organ samples
Paramount 4/50 Theatre Organ samples

Edirol PCR800s stacked
Roland A800
Roland PK5 Pedalboard
Roland RD64 (Hammer Action controller/piano)
Novation Zero SL Mkii
Expression and sustain pedals

Roland XV5080 Sound Module
Yamaha Motif ES Rack Module
Ensoniq MR Rack Sound Module
Hammond Suzuki XM2 Sound Module + XMC

Behringer Mixer
Pyle 8 Channel Amp
Various speakers
2 x Leslie 710s

Standalone Yamaha CP4 stage piano

My current interest is trying to integrate vArranger into the system

#423366 - 07/13/16 04:50 PM Re: MOMBOC's Software Arranger / Virtual Organ System [Re: MOMBOC]
Torch Offline

You have a very interesting project going. I envy your skills in electronics. As for me, with no such skills, I have been looking for a powerful and large touch screen otebook. My 10 Suface Pro is too small, my Lenovo Yoga could be a little bigger than its 13.3 inch screen. Still, I can do a lot of things on it without glasses on. In fact, among all the music software in my Lenovo Yoga, vArranger is the most usable music software. I can access so many functions and call up sounds by easily touching the screen. Besides, bluetooth keyboard, wireless gamepad, and other midi controllers such as the Korg Kontrol2 all programmed for vArranger give me a lot of functions on the fly. I can see that when I travel overseas, I won't even have to have my midi accordion or keyboard. I can use anybody's keyboard controller because all the control functions are programmed in the other devices. Anyway, I bought a 15.6 inch touch screen tablet notebook 16GB Ram and 2TB SSD only to find out that it came with 8MB RAM and 1TB SSD. I returned for a refund. Since vArranger is software, it is nice that you can be very flexible with it; either go for a system like you are building or just take your laptop with a small midi control surface.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online