SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#12089 - 10/22/00 03:28 AM Akai sampler pt2
larry Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
My decision is now leaning toward the Emu sampler for purchase but something tells me the Akai is the one for me? One of the most important things I was seeking in a sampler was the ability to run an external sound source into the sampler and have the filters and effects to work. Basically, I wanted the sampler to be able to do anything that it can do to it's internal sample to an external sound source! Can anyone tell me if this is possible with the Akai? If it is, I will probably pick one up because the EMU definetly can't! Lot's of confusion! Need help!!!!!!!!!Please!!!!!!

larry

#12090 - 10/22/00 08:12 AM Re: Akai sampler pt2
fvicente Offline

Loc: Port Moody, BC, Canada
Hi Larry,

I don't know which E-mu you're talking about here but the EOS samplers (E5000, E6400, E4, etc. - Ultra models only) will be able to do this once the new RFX card is shipping. Apparently it is done but my dealer has not received any. It is a card which has 16 fx busses and will allow you to use up to 16 simultaneous fx if you choose to. It looks cool but no one has seen it yet.

What I'm getting at here though is that apparently it will allow live inputs to be processed. I'm not yet sure if it can go through the E-mu filters or just through the board. It may be possible that you can do this.

HTH
Fernando

#12091 - 11/05/00 05:01 AM Re: Akai sampler pt2
torsig Offline

Loc: Sweden
You can only route the analog input to the effect section (effect card needs to be installed for this). The usual envelope and filtersection cannot be used for live input.

The effectcard on S5000 has dist/ringmod/chorus/delay and stuff like that and yes, a filter also.
But the filter is very strange and unintuitive, I hate it!

Hope this helps.

-- tor

#12092 - 11/05/00 05:34 PM Re: Akai sampler pt2
fvicente Offline

Loc: Port Moody, BC, Canada
Hi,

There is a .pdf document on the RFX card at E-mu's website. If you follow the link to products, then samplers, it will be up at the top. Then at the bottom of the RFX-32 specs page, you'll see a link to the .pdf. Download it and check it out. I haven't looked at it in depth yet so I don't know if it mentions being able to route inputs through the filters in real-time or not.

HTH,
Fernando

#12093 - 11/08/00 03:33 PM Re: Akai sampler pt2
larry Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Thank you all for your help! However I have bought neither EMU or Akai but went Kurzeil 2500! Solid machine with all the processing I had wanted and with all assignable midi CC's!

larry

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online