Yamaha Sx900 Regs. and Playlist Ideas Jan22,2020

The first step that normally happens when we get a new keyboard is listening to a style and the sound of the instruments. Then we look at the controls and options. The next step is to save a song to a registration, which included a style, tempo, and four style variations, and four TOS instruments. (And more) The Sx900 Playlist can include 8 Registrations with each song. This is fantastic, it adds so much to our performance.

The first song I selected was Never The Less, using all 8 Registrations. It was good, I liked it. One problem – What do you put in each Registration? I started with the instruments and their volumes. Problem --- It took me 2 ½ hours to understand and creaate. Ouch! Not good, too much time for one song, considering how many songs I want to add.

I created bands. Big Band, Rock Band, Ethnic Band, Latin Band. Each type of band had 2 or 3 variations. --- Big Band Slow, Big Band Med., Big Band up. No easy job here, each band is no the same.

Thoughts
1-Is it a vocal or a instrument solo?

2-What instruments are playing? what are their volumes? EX. A Big Band trumpet is not the same as a Latin trumpet.

3-Should I mute some of style tracks?

4-Change the Variation? Add an intro or an ending. Should I EQ any the instruments. Whatever your imagination brings.
This sounds like a big, time consuming job, but It will decrease the time and effort of adding a new song 80% to 90%.

My Method of Creating Registrations and a Playlist
1- Set up ten Reg banks, one song per reg use 001 to 010 eight songs to one bank total 80 songs. Some of my songs are in a medley of two or three songs – So the 80 songs are more like 125 songs.
2- Create 10 bands, 3 Big Band, 3 Rock, 2 Latin, 1 Ethnic, 1 Classical.

When you create a Band, DO NOT save the style or Tempo –IMPORTNT.

SETTING UP ONE SONG – 8 Registration and Playlist
1- Select a song from 001 to 010-- or create a new song and save it in
Reg

2- Select band you have created

3-The style and tempo are still active from the song you created. Loading a band will not effect your work because the band does not have a style or tempo saved.

4-Save your set up in Reg #1 WITH STYLE AND TEMPO.

5- Press Save— Save Here —- Write name of Song —- Press save

6- Press Playlist —— Press Add Record LIST—- Your list of saved Reg. comes up. Select the song you were working on--- Press add to List—- use up and down for Alpha order. Save the Playlist.

7- It is now ready for advanced editing, if needed,

IDEAS FOR EDITING REGISTRATION
1- Instrument change and volume change in the style

2- Variation style change

3- Muting parts of the style

4- 1, 2, 3, left hand instrument change

5- Selecting a style that is almost the same, but more exciting.
The options are many.

A Word About Creating Bands
The band I created will not be the same band in six months, it is always open to improve.

This can be fun, enjoyable. Reg #1 – Piano. I think back at the times I heard a piano. What was the other instruments doing? Did the brass continue to play? Was the bass stronger? Think back to what you heard, create, let this become you. No perfection here. As you grow, so will the band you created grow.

If you have any ideas of how I can improve what I am doing, or if you created a different method, please share it with me, I am open to learn.

John C.