SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#332495 - 10/13/11 03:45 PM Solid State Disk in Tyros4 works great!
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
Hi,
Yesterday the harddisk of my Tyros4 crashed after a short period of making weird noise.
It's in the (3 year) warranty but I decided to put an SSD in.
Installation went perfect and took only a couple of minutes.
Since Yamaha choose the USB interface the type/brand of the drive is not critical.
For those who are interested I wrote a short guide "how to replace a Tyros4 drive"
It should be available at
https://www.yousendit.com/download/T2dlL0dKMHdveE04RmNUQw
Still I think it's a shame Yamaha did not use the SATA interface to get connected to the MB, but put an USB wire in between.

Edited by kla4 (10/13/11 03:49 PM)

#332509 - 10/14/11 01:33 AM Re: Solid State Disk in Tyros4 works great! [Re: kla4]
kla4 Offline

#332514 - 10/14/11 04:33 AM Re: Solid State Disk in Tyros4 works great! [Re: kla4]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Kla4

Remove immediately as the Tyros hardware does not have any Trim drivers, thus the life expectancy of an SSD will be considerably less than a normal HDD.

In addition the data bus on the Tyros is so slow that an SSD will offer no benefit over a HDD. (And even a HDD does not reach its full potential speed with the Tyros data bus)

In the future as SSD drop in price they will become the norm with Trim drivers included (Pegasus Wing, Korg Kronos already includes them) but for now they are best used just for a computer. (You will not believe how fast your programs will open compared to a HDD)

Hope this helps

Bill

#332515 - 10/14/11 04:57 AM Re: Solid State Disk in Tyros4 works great! [Re: kla4]
kla4 Offline

Bill,
I see no reason why to remove the SSD. My only goal was to put a drive without moving parts and noise in the T4. (speed is no issue)
The databus in fact is not the speed bottleneck at all... it's the USB interface!
Realize that the T4 makes use of the HD in a completely different way than the instruments you mention, T4 uses it like a USB-stick and there are no processes running on/from it.
(No indexing, defragmentation, frequent writing at all!)
The T4 can run without a HDD .... what about the Wersi's??... Can they?

The SSD prices dropped to an acceptable level..... don't worry Bill.... I think I know what I'm doing rolleyes

Roel

Edited by kla4 (10/14/11 05:03 AM)

#332528 - 10/14/11 12:27 PM Re: Solid State Disk in Tyros4 works great! [Re: kla4]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Roel

If you wish to continue fine, I was mainly warning you of the problems that will occur using an SSD on your Tyros. (SSD are still expensive in price per Gigabyte compared to HDD)

Point of clarification:

USB = Universal Serial Bus and has been available in 4 different data speeds

USB 1 = 1Mbs
USB1.1 = 12Mbs
USB 2 = 480Mbs
USB 3 = 4800Mbs

The USB interface is merely the connection used for that particular type of Data bus.

Regards

Bill

#332531 - 10/14/11 03:05 PM Re: Solid State Disk in Tyros4 works great! [Re: kla4]
kla4 Offline

Bill, please read my lips : Costs and speed both are no issue at all.
My profession is IT-engineer so there is no need to clarify USB types for me.

Thanks for your warnings, but no problems will occur.

#341426 - 03/05/12 08:36 AM Re: Solid State Disk in Tyros4 works great! [Re: kla4]
Oscar1 Offline

But people had been using ssd for some time and the trim function had been added to the OS only more recently... (like in OSX Lion, W7) before people used it with normal writing just like the HDD... yes the performance would go worse (which a format would solve) and few of the old ones liked to die after a year or so but is that still the case?
And most new drives have the garbage collection in the drive firmware and it is done outside the OS (which wasn't case previously with SSD and they relied solely on OS). If the performance go down for some reason after a year, you can pull it out and retrim it in PC and all is like new. But it may not even come to this, depending how yamaha works with internal file system.

The links expired, can you perhaps upp them or send me pdf?

Edited by Oscar1 (03/05/12 08:44 AM)

#341476 - 03/06/12 04:19 AM Re: Solid State Disk in Tyros4 works great! [Re: Oscar1]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I agree with Oscar. I have had an SSD in my primary desktop (custom built) computer for two years. My 180gig OCZ drive did fail after 1 year, but it had a 3 year warranty and was quickly replaced by the Mfg.

When I replaced it I did research on how best to utilize an SSD drive using Win7. The best advice was to let Windows manage the drive, but shut off any Defrag. and optimization software which reduces the MTBF of the drive.

I'm pretty confident the T4 would do nicely with an SSD drive.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#344846 - 05/16/12 04:38 PM Re: Solid State Disk in Tyros4 works great! [Re: kbrkr]
kla4 Offline

#353732 - 10/29/12 10:34 PM Re: Solid State Disk in Tyros4 works great! [Re: kla4]
Oscar1 Offline

I hate to be that guy, but the link is again expired. I would love to get the info.
(Now, thing is maybe I already download it before - was it pdf? what was the file name? - I have mess in computer)

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online