SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#304967 - 11/30/05 06:55 AM anyone know if the mic input on the Tyros 2 is unbalanced or balanced?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Thanks

#304968 - 11/30/05 02:43 PM Re: anyone know if the mic input on the Tyros 2 is unbalanced or balanced?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Unbalanced.

Scott

#304969 - 11/30/05 11:48 PM Re: anyone know if the mic input on the Tyros 2 is unbalanced or balanced?
DerfMuisc Offline

Loc: rohnert park, california, usa
Any tips on the best cable to use with
an EV mic into the T2 (type, maybe brand)?
Thanks, DerfM

#304970 - 12/01/05 07:53 AM Re: anyone know if the mic input on the Tyros 2 is unbalanced or balanced?
Scottyee Offline

DerfM: I recommend the following mic cable available from Radio Shack:

16 ft. Microphone Cable: XLR mic connection (female) to 1/4" phono plug 'gold-plated' (male)

I use the 9 ft version of the above. Unfortunately, it appears that this shorter length is no longer available from Radio Shack.

Scott

#304971 - 12/01/05 08:42 AM Re: anyone know if the mic input on the Tyros 2 is unbalanced or balanced?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Derf,
If you are using a low impedence mic (which is what most pro mics are), you need to use an LXR cable at both ends with a low to high impedence transformer to produce the best sound and at the highest possible volume. If you only use an XLR on one end to a quarter inch jack on the other, you are using a high impedence cable on a mic made for a low impedence cable. The diffrence is in the number of wires used. Although the XLR cable with no impedence transformer will work probably just fine (I do it all the time at my store), you will have more output using a line transformer. These line transformers have a XLR female conector on one end (coming in from the mics XLR male conector) than go through an electronic circuit, usually a small 2 inch module) and then comes out with a 1/4" cable to go into the mic input on the back of the Tyros2.
Again, this is the most effective way to use a low Z mic into a high Z mic input(balanced mic into an unbalanced input), but if you are getting enough gain input into the Tyros you will not harm anything.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(home recouperating from back surgery on Monday)
(Retired 2021)

#304972 - 12/01/05 11:12 AM Re: anyone know if the mic input on the Tyros 2 is unbalanced or balanced?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Thanks George for that good information. Where do you buy a cable/transformer like you describe. Mine are all xlr to 1/4 inch except one that is xlr on both ends and plugs into the Keypro KPS200 amp XLR jack.
Sorry to hear you had to have back surgery. I hope you are recovering well and speedy. Best not be moving those big heavy amps around amymore.
best to you,
Bebop

#304973 - 12/02/05 01:40 AM Re: anyone know if the mic input on the Tyros 2 is unbalanced or balanced?
DerfMuisc Offline

Loc: rohnert park, california, usa
Thanks to all for the mic cable info. Speedy recovery, George. Thanks again, Scott, for lots of useful information about the T2. I used mine for a gig the first time tonight, and it sounded as advertised. DerfM

#304974 - 12/02/05 08:45 AM Re: anyone know if the mic input on the Tyros 2 is unbalanced or balanced?
George Kaye Offline

Any music store should sell them. In my store I buy Hosa brand and Signal Flex brand models. Some models are one piece units with the correct ends on both sides and other companys make them where instead of a 1/4" male plug coming out of one end, they put a 6" cable attached with the 1/4" plug at the end of the cable. This system is more popular for some because the transformer itself hangs down from the keyboard as opposed to the transformer sticking far out and away from the keyboard. I would also think most Radio Shacks would sell them as well. It called a low to high impedence transformer.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#304975 - 12/02/05 09:41 AM Re: anyone know if the mic input on the Tyros 2 is unbalanced or balanced?
Scottyee Offline

George, thanks for bringing up the 'low to high impedance transformer' adapter option. Because Tyros2 includes both a mic trim on the back of the keyboard, as well as a separate mic volume knob up front, I've never experienced insufficient mic signal input (and using a variety of Dynamic low impedance mics from EV, Shure, AKG, to Sennheiser) coming directly into my Tyros keyboards (T1 & T2), using the simple 1/4" to XLR cable setup that I've use for years (as shown above). With my setup, both mic trim & mic volume knobs are maintained at around the 1:00 setting. I detect no noticeable added signal noise from the Tyros mic trim signal boost.

I'm really curious now though, if using a low to high impedance transformer such as the SignalFlex model# SF8021 , 'how much' of an increased mic signal input gain will be noticed. Assuming that the transformer adapter doesn't create signal noise, I would expect that this would mean being able to significantly lower the Tyros2's 'mic trim' setting, and effectively reduce any potential mic trim gain induced noise, right? I'm curious to find out by how much. As my mic trim is currently set at 1:00, what might I expect to be able to lower my Tyros2's mic trim setting to: 12:00, 11:00, 10:00, 9:00, 8:00, 7:00?

If there really is a noticeable performance gain adding a low to high impedance adapter, I'm probably add this as well, especially when recording.

Thanks. - Scott

PS: George, hope your back's feeling a lot better now. Best wishes in your recovery.

#304976 - 12/02/05 11:14 AM Re: anyone know if the mic input on the Tyros 2 is unbalanced or balanced?
George Kaye Offline

Thank you Scott for the well wishes. It's been a drag for the past several months. Today is the first day I feel almost ready to return to work for a few hours. I'll probably wait until Monday though just to play it safe.
I have never noticed any additional noise using a line transformer. For years I've found that most musicians don't even know what I'm talking about when I ask if they are using one. Generaly, a low z mic is producing a range of between 50 to 150ohms where a high z mic is at about 600 ohms. The benifit of the LowZ is less possibility of noise and much longer cable length possibilties. If you don't bring the level from the low z mic up to this higher ohm rating, you just don't get the same performance when plugged into a jack looking for a higher level. The transformers run about $15.00 and I would probably suggest you find one and give it a try. Many of my customers who record really find they get better results when correcting the ohm load using a transformer.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online