SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#304188 - 11/08/05 04:36 PM Information for Technics People that upgraded to Tyros 2
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
This may or may not be of interest to you as it was to me.
I have always used the Kn7000 for playing all sounds from the computer. The Sound goes from the Media Player down the USB cable into the KN7000 and it plays the midi or wav or whatever but not movies
You need to know that the Yamaha Tyros 2 board cannot be used this way.
I just had a pleasant phone call with Steve Deming at Yamaha Support (courtesy of Dan O'neil) and he advised me that I was trying to do the impossible. So I am back to the drawing board. I shall just run the computer feed into the Mixer and out to the sound system.
Best to all
Bebop

#304189 - 11/08/05 05:33 PM Re: Information for Technics People that upgraded to Tyros 2
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
What?!?

Unless I am missing something in your post, Bebop, I have to tell you that is certainly is possible to do what you are talking about. I can play a MIDI file that is on my computer in my Tyros that is connected by USB cable. I can play it using Windows Media Player, WinAmp or MidiPlayer. But, I have to go into Control Panel, Sound and Audio Devices, and make sure I have selected the Yamaha USB for MIDI out.

Even a lower model PSR can do this. As long as you have a MIDI interface in place. Something like the M-Audio 1x1 or the Midisport Uno. You must still configure your computer to use the Yamaha keyboard as the MIDI device.

I don't know what Steve was thinking. Perhaps you haven't explained the situation completely?

Tom G.

#304190 - 11/08/05 05:40 PM Re: Information for Technics People that upgraded to Tyros 2
BEBOP Offline

HI Tom,
The only connection between the computer and the keyboard is the USB cable, same as I had on the Technics KN7000 which would then play anything coming out of the computer.
There is not any Yamaha USB for Midi out in the control panel/sounds and devices under audio. the only thing under audio is the sound card in the mother board. It shows a yam tyros driver under hardware only

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 11-08-2005).]

#304191 - 11/08/05 05:49 PM Re: Information for Technics People that upgraded to Tyros 2
TomTomSF Offline

Bebop

You have to install the Yamaha MIDI driver on your computer. It should be on the CD that came with your Tyros2. After you install it, you can them go into the Control Panel and you should actually see a new icon for the Yamaha MIDI.

I don't remember the rest of the details off hand. I can't imagine that Yamaha would have changed or omitted this feature on the new Tyros2. Maybe some other owners could confirm this for you?

Tom G.

PS: I guess Scott Yee must be REALLY sick. It is so unusual that he is so quiet! Otherwise, I think he would hold the answer to your question.

#304192 - 11/08/05 05:56 PM Re: Information for Technics People that upgraded to Tyros 2
BEBOP Offline

Tom, I have installed the midi drivers for the tyros 2 into this computer and also the Voice Editor but havent used the voice editor yet. I will be trying that next. If the voice editor works ok then I will know the keyboard and the computer are talking to each other.
I suppose it is always possible there is a bad driver on this cd.
Maybe I have to hook up the midi ports for this to work but didn't have to for the Technics to work???
Best,
BEBOP

#304193 - 11/08/05 07:20 PM Re: Information for Technics People that upgraded to Tyros 2
TomTomSF Offline

Uh, oh... get ready, Bebop!

A *LOT* of people had nothing but problems trying to get the darn Yamaha USB MIDI driver to work with the original Tyros. I sure hope this isn't the same with the new Tyros2. If you search around the web, you will find many posts about this topic (Tyros and USB). What you really need is someone that has it working to advise you.

I wish i could help you out more, but i still haven't gotten my Tyros2 from Dan yet.

Tom G.

#304194 - 11/08/05 08:19 PM Re: Information for Technics People that upgraded to Tyros 2
TomTomSF Offline

Bebop sent me an email that explains what I was missing in his post here. I see what I missed above - your comment "I can play all formats of songs from the media player into the keyboard and listen to them. It also plays any of the wav sounds the computer makes during its normal operation."

This is not possible with the Tyros. It can only play MIDI files when connected to the computer by USB and that's it.

I never realized the KN7000 could play WAV and mp3 files. That is cool.

Tom G.

#304195 - 11/08/05 08:23 PM Re: Information for Technics People that upgraded to Tyros 2
BEBOP Offline

HI TOM,
I am unable to play any midi files either down the usb wire directly to the T 2 keyboard. Do you have any idea why not?
Bebop

#304196 - 11/09/05 05:59 AM Re: Information for Technics People that upgraded to Tyros 2
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TomTomSF:
This is not possible with the Tyros. It can only play MIDI files when connected to the computer by USB and that's it. I never realized the KN7000 could play WAV and mp3 files. That is cool. Tom G.

Not only play but digitally record through usb. I used the 7k as a brilliant music laptop digital sound system for years. It is also a high quality A/D converter for any mic or line in. The midi and audio usb can be used simultaneously and sequencer synced to audio playback from the sd card, and if you have a device with only midi terminals and a pc with only usb, the 7k can be used as an interface to enable communication between midi device and usb pc.

#304197 - 11/09/05 06:09 AM Re: Information for Technics People that upgraded to Tyros 2
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
BEBOP, this is just a guess since I don't yet have my T2, but I think Tom G. is essentially correct. You must load the midi drivers onto the PC, SELECT the USB as the midi out port for the particular player you're using (Sequencers such as SONAR will give you a choice of midi outs - if no choice exists in the midi player you're using then the default (control panel) selection will be used). Also, if the Tyros 2 is like the Motif ES, you must set the midi input to either USB or midi, with midi using the traditional (5 pin) midi input. On the motif, you can not use them simultaneously, you must select one or the other. This could be the problem as the default is usually "midi".

chas

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online