SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#327123 - 06/24/11 09:40 AM New S910 versus Used Tyros 2
John Tropi Offline

Loc: UK
It's not hard to find a decent used Tyros 2, with speakers, for less than the most heavily discounted PSR-S910.

How would you advise a potential buyer?
Is the Tyros 2 superior enough to forego the warranty that comes with a brand new S910?

#327160 - 06/24/11 04:33 PM Re: New S910 versus Used Tyros 2 [Re: John Tropi]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
The Tyros 2 is an excellent keyboard and I would not hesitate to advise you to purchase it, simply because you can do so much with it and there are lots of 'styles' available free or, to buy on the internet which should keep you interested for a very long time.

The PSR-910 is a younger keyboard and therefore has a better sound system. It is also lighter to carry if you 'gig' but it is a bit limited in what it can do in comparison with the Tyros 2.

This is just my opinion - the choice is yours of course.

Audrey

#327197 - 06/25/11 12:18 AM Re: New S910 versus Used Tyros 2 [Re: John Tropi]
John Tropi Offline

Opinions are exactly what I'm looking for, Audrey! I may be a new member, but I've been reading this board for a long time previously and I know you and others are very experienced, so your opinions are invaluable. :-)

Could you possibly expand a little on the S910 being "a bit limited"?

I've noted a few advantages of the T2 that I think could be important, but I have probably missed some . . .

T2 ADVANTAGES
1. After touch keys
2a. 3 Foot pedal sockets (instead of 2)
2b. Can use MFC10 foot controller
3. Can install 2.5" IDE Hard Drive onboard
4. Onboard PSU (Eliminates wall wart!)
5. Standard VGA Monitor D-sub connector - higher resolution than phono socket that PC monitors rarely have anyway.

Am I right in thinking that neither of them have LEDs along the panel, above the keys, to show the keyboard split at a glance? Hard to believe that no longer exists . . .

#327369 - 06/26/11 04:58 PM Re: New S910 versus Used Tyros 2 [Re: John Tropi]
Audrey Turner Offline

Hello John,

I don't know much about the S910 only to say when I heard it demonstrated by James Sarjeant at a show, I was impressed with the voices, styles and sound it produced.

I help to run a Keyboard Players Club and some of our members are coming to my home on Wednesday next for a 'session' and one of them has an S910. His 'gigs' are mainly for dancing and he chose the S910 because it is lighter to carry around. I'll ask him what he likes about the actual keyboard and will report back to you a.s.a.p after his visit.

Yes! you are correct about the split point. Another thing I cannot get used to is the transpose goes up/down in 'numbers' whereas all other instruments I've had shows the 'key' it's in e.g. Bb, F# etc. Also, the movement of the registrations when using a footpedal is not only very difficult to see because it is so small, but if you start at reg.1 and then progress to 2 using the footpedal, it the readout will follow you but if you then manually press the next reg. button, the readout doesn't move, so you can be playing reg. no.6 and the readout is still showing 2 - weird or what?

Audrey

#327729 - 06/30/11 06:48 AM Re: New S910 versus Used Tyros 2 [Re: John Tropi]
Audrey Turner Offline

Hello John,

Re: Yamaha PSR S910 v. Tyros 2 - As promised, below are the comments made by our keyboard member who owns both these models (I didn't know this) but at least they are genuine informative comments:-

1) PSR S910:

The S910 is superb - I love it. Having both the Tyros 2 and the 910, I find myself playing the 910 most.

There are 'fors' and 'against' I suppose, depending on your needs i.e: Playing out, the keyboard is much easier to transport as it has built-in speakers so not so much to transport.

The keys are not so heavy. (more like an accordion) I don't like weighted or semi-weighted keys.
Sounds and rhythms are better than the Tyros 2 - more like the Tyros 3.

Easy recording - especially 'WAV'

Only two sounds in the right hand. (slightly miss having 3 sounds).

Only 1 USB Card socket.

Music stand is TERRIBLE - it's too far away and is so flimsy it's no good for heavy weight music books/folders.

2) TYROS 2:

Sounds and rhythms are slightly 'sharper'.

Three sounds in the righthand.

Plenty of FREE and Professional software available for it.

More programmable.

More USB Sockets and Computer Direct Connection facility.

Music stand slightly better, but still flimsy and too far away for comfort.

More gear to transport when 'gigging'.

Well! there you have it John - the decision is yours. Good Luck!

Audrey

Edited by Audrey Turner (06/30/11 06:52 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#327783 - 06/30/11 01:08 PM Re: New S910 versus Used Tyros 2 [Re: Audrey Turner]
John Tropi Offline

Audrey

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to produce that - it's very useful :-)

Having said that, I still think I'd better think long and very hard before actually laying out any lolly. Gigging out is so unlikely for me at this stage of my life, that the 'all in one box' aspect of the S910 probably doesn't matter very much, although having fewer wires trailing around can't be discounted altogether . . .

The extra connectivity of the T2 could be an influencing factor as I do intend to link up with a computer at some point.

I really will think very deeply about this and thank you again for making the effort.

If anyone else has any comments to make, they would be more than welcome :-)

#327828 - 07/01/11 06:35 AM Re: New S910 versus Used Tyros 2 [Re: John Tropi]
Audrey Turner Offline

You're welcome John.

By the way, do you know 'demos' of both instruments can be heard on the Yamaha Musical Instrument site.

Enjoy!

Audrey

Edited by Audrey Turner (07/01/11 06:36 AM)

#328572 - 07/12/11 10:17 AM Re: New S910 versus Used Tyros 2 [Re: John Tropi]
fmlk Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Yes, soundwise S910 is more like T3, more modern. But mechincally Tyros 2 is much more rugged, with a much better keyboard. The keyboard of S910 in my opinion feels rubberish and toy-like.
This is my feedback on top of the specs above.

I myself have a T4 but have had T2 and T3 in the past. In the shop I have played a little with S910

Regards, Fred

www.mellink.info

#329296 - 07/21/11 03:46 PM Re: New S910 versus Used Tyros 2 [Re: John Tropi]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Interesting- I just spent a good amount of time this week with my friends 910 and my Tyros 2 side by side.

You would be well served with either keyboards. I happen to like the feel of the T2 much better. The keys, the buttons, the layout...

I think both sound good- the Tyros 2 does not sound any better.

It's a hard call- especially since you can get a warnity with a new 910...

good luck- let us know which one you get.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#341519 - 03/06/12 02:18 PM Re: New S910 versus Used Tyros 2 [Re: John Tropi]
Oscar1 Offline

Think about resale, you will always want to get new stuff and get rid of the old. You can sell PSR910 much easier than Tyros 2 as the 910 is current model, the tyros 2 is 2 generations old.
I'd say, get PSR or save and get Tyros 4

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online