SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#502123 - 01/30/21 07:13 AM Modifying styles on a BK-9...special techniques?
Delkeen Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I'm attempting to learn how to prepare and modify styles on the BK-9. The instructions in the manual are fairly straight-forward. But I'd like to know if anyone has found a particular approach that is helpful in these edits. One of the primary goals I have in editing is to simplify endings, which are often too complex or extended for my use and taste. Also, I have not found any way to use the iPad apps for this kind of editing. Am I missing something, or is the performance editor strictly for that purpose...performances. It would be wonderful to address the sequencer and style editor via the iPad, but I'm guessing that there has not been an app for that purpose. I'll welcome any input.

#502128 - 01/30/21 09:20 AM Re: Modifying styles on a BK-9...special techniques? [Re: Delkeen]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
My understanding is that the iPad app is only for editing performances (registrations.) The BK-9's built-in Style Composer is a little clunky but workable. I know there is a menu command that allows you to delete a whole range of measures. It's also possible to remove content from, or mute individual tracks. Take your time, experiment, and don't forget that there are actually three sub-variations within each style section (used for Major, Minor, and Seventh chords.)

If you really, really prefer to work on a PC sequencer... With the BK-7m, Roland released a software called "Style Converter 4." This allows you to import a MIDI in a prescribed format, and re-encode it as a Roland style. That would be about your only option. You would still have to add Alteration Mode messages in the BK-9 because the Style Converter and some other Roland arrangers circa 2009-2010 lacked that feature.

Good luck and please share what you learn!

#502136 - 01/30/21 11:50 AM Re: Modifying styles on a BK-9...special techniques? [Re: Delkeen]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I’m a big fan of the Ending1, usually just an ending chord. This way I can PLAY what I want, at whatever variation intensity I feel like, and vary it each performance as desired.

But if you want to simplify an existing Ending, it’s fairly easy to mute out whole Parts, or erase notes inside a range.

#502137 - 01/30/21 12:54 PM Re: Modifying styles on a BK-9...special techniques? [Re: Diki]
Delkeen Offline

Thanks.

Is there a way to go from, say variation 3 to ending 1 from the front panel? Or do you do that via performances? I was actually thinking of revising several of the styles to overwrite ending #1 to the other endings. Is that feasible? Or is there another option that you've had success with?

#502138 - 01/30/21 01:09 PM Re: Modifying styles on a BK-9...special techniques? [Re: TedS]
Delkeen Offline

TedS, I missed your response earlier. Thanks so much. The input is helpful. I wasn't aware of the style converter 4. Do you know if that is still available.

Yes, my Roland E96 had those variants with major, minor and 7th chords too. A helpful option for a bit more variety.

I'm clearly not in a place to try to craft styles from scratch. But there are some that I would certainly consider simplifying. The muting option gives quite a bit of flexibility as well, as you've noted. I'll have to look into that.

#502139 - 01/30/21 05:23 PM Re: Modifying styles on a BK-9...special techniques? [Re: Delkeen]
TedS Offline

Well, the best way to obtain the software would be to buy a BK-7m, BK-5, or Prelude (version 1) complete with the original disk. I'm not sure that Roland ever offered it for separate download.

However... it was a very "bare bones" software and not at all user friendly. While it's true that you could edit a MIDI in any sequencer program or DAW, you had to prepare it very carefully in the prescribed format, to convert the MIDI to a Roland style.

Really your best option, especially for editing factory styles, is to use the built-in Style Composer. It's not that hard to use and really not that bad. My $.02.

#502140 - 01/30/21 05:36 PM Re: Modifying styles on a BK-9...special techniques? [Re: TedS]
Delkeen Offline

Thanks. That seems to be a reasonable approach.

I did look around, but only found a version 3.0 for download (I think for the GW-8).

In any case, I'll take your advice and work with the built-in feature. Lots to learn there!

#502141 - 01/30/21 09:08 PM Re: Modifying styles on a BK-9...special techniques? [Re: Delkeen]
TedS Offline

I'm not sure what the differences were from version 3.0 to version 4.0. You could certainly install that version, or review the .pdf manual to get a feel for it. I think you'll find that the documentation is pretty sparse.

You asked about modifying factory styles. That's MUCH easier in Style Composer. To edit them in a DAW, you would first have to convert the factory styles to MIDI, and I'm not sure whether any version of the Style Converter program is capable of that.

#502148 - 02/01/21 09:46 AM Re: Modifying styles on a BK-9...special techniques? [Re: Delkeen]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By Delkeen
Thanks.

Is there a way to go from, say variation 3 to ending 1 from the front panel? Or do you do that via performances? I was actually thinking of revising several of the styles to overwrite ending #1 to the other endings. Is that feasible? Or is there another option that you've had success with?

There is a way to go from any variation to any ending, but not with one button press. If you simply press Ending you get the Ending of whatever Variation you are in. But if you hit the Ending button then IMMEDIATELY afterwards hit the Variation button for whatever Ending you want, it will go to that Ending. You will see a confirmation of this in the lights... the Variation you are in will be on solidly, and the Ending you are going to go to will flash.

Likewise for Intros. Before you press Start, you select the Variation you want to be in after the Intro. Then hit the Intro button and select which one you want. The light for the Intro you selected will shine solid, and the Variation it is going to will flash.

#502150 - 02/01/21 02:47 PM Re: Modifying styles on a BK-9...special techniques? [Re: Diki]
Delkeen Offline

Thanks for that clarification,Diki. That should work fine for my current purposes.

I thought there should be a way, but didn't have the sequence sorted out. Much appreciated! Did I miss that in the manual, or is it one of those "hidden" features?

Del

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online