SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#500842 - 10/01/20 05:53 PM G70 width / Keyboard Racks
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I am looking at purchasing this 3 tier Keyboard rack an was wondering if anyone can confirm if a G70 would fit on the bottom rack or not?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/On-Stage-KS7903-3-Tier-A-Frame-Keyboard-Stand/323177778040?epid=11005360140&hash=item4b3ee58b78:g:iXgAAOSwAhxe6WE-&frcectupt=true

The G70's width according to specs is 51 inches and the width of this rack is 51 inches... so im not sure if its going to actually fit or not...

Any ideas?

#500946 - 10/06/20 08:49 PM Re: G70 width / Keyboard Racks [Re: Nick G]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
There's a little bit of room for play with the width of those types of stands... It might say 51", but that's with the cross members forced as far into the support brackets as they will go. wiggle them out 1/4" on each side, and you just bought yourself an extra 1/2"...

The only problem I can see is that the G70 is a VERY heavy keyboard, and unless you have it balanced exactly on the balance point of the bar, it's going to put considerable torque onto the joints, which are plastic and have been known to strip or break.

One thing I noticed is that there is a support bar on the back as well. Maybe that could be used to support the rear of the G70?

Anyway, given Sweetwater's great return policy, I don't see a downside in getting it and if it does pinch a bit too tight, you can always return it...

Do you intend to use this at home or in a studio as a permanent installation, or do you intend to gig with it?

One final thought... Have you tried these kinds of stands? I always found them quite bouncy, especially with heavier keyboards.

Edited by Diki (10/06/20 08:52 PM)

#501102 - 10/17/20 02:46 AM Re: G70 width / Keyboard Racks [Re: Nick G]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Originally Posted By Nick G
I am looking at purchasing this 3 tier Keyboard rack an was wondering if anyone can confirm if a G70 would fit on the bottom rack or not?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/On-Stage-KS7903-3-Tier-A-Frame-Keyboard-Stand/323177778040?epid=11005360140&hash=item4b3ee58b78:g:iXgAAOSwAhxe6WE-&frcectupt=true

The G70's width according to specs is 51 inches and the width of this rack is 51 inches... so im not sure if its going to actually fit or not...

Any ideas?

There is this one that can change to take a smaller board and laptop or three keyboards:-
https://www.mooloolabamusic.com.au/on-st...sRoCLIwQAvD_BwE

Or this one, which is a two tier but you can buy an addition layer ( three party) to get three layers - this one extends out to almost 45":-

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Haze-2-Tiers...m4383.l4275.c10

BTW, that Onstage one you are looking at has a weight limit of 120lbs total! or 40lbs per tier and that is overloading the base tier for your G70 which I think is 45 lb!

Allan taz

Edited by tassiespirit (10/17/20 03:00 AM)

#501154 - 10/19/20 11:20 AM Re: G70 width / Keyboard Racks [Re: tassiespirit]
Diki Offline

I used to have an old A frame stand back in the day, and the main complaint I had with it was simply that it was next to impossible to dial out the 'bounce' unless you supported the keyboard front AND back.

Think about it for a minute.... You are balancing a keyboard on a single tube of thin aluminum. No matter how tight you crank the end caps, there's some inherent flex in the tube itself, in the joints, and especially in the arms that go through the tube and support the keyboard. It used to drive me crazy!

Admittedly, I'm from the old school, I learned on piano and organ and Rhodes, none of which move a millimeter if you pound them with your fists! But also there's the issue of velocity... A keyboard works out how hard you are playing it from the speed at which the key goes down. But if the entire keyboard is going up or down a bit when you play it, that speed is added or subtracted from your finger speed depending on the bounce's direction. So your dynamics are a little bit less precise. Not ideal...

It might be worth checking out any local musos that play on an A frame, and see if the bounce is acceptable or not...

#501155 - 10/19/20 11:29 AM Re: G70 width / Keyboard Racks [Re: tassiespirit]
Diki Offline

Originally Posted By tassiespirit
this one, which is a two tier but you can buy an addition layer ( three party) to get three layers - this one extends out to almost 45":-

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Haze-2-Tiers...m4383.l4275.c10

I actually have a Quik Lok version of one of these. It has a 65lbs Kurzweil on the bottom and my 45lbs G70 on top (home use only, LOL!). Not a trace of bounce on the bottom, only the barest hint of bounce on the top with me pounding away... Highly recommended.

What keyboards are you planning on putting on the stand, Nick, other than the G70 on the bottom?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online