SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#303830 - 10/02/08 10:44 AM Roland G70 Synch Start/Stop function
Roque Offline

Loc: Willemstad, Curacao, Netherlan...
Does anyone know if the Synch Stop function can be realocated to another button on the right side of the G70 keyboard? Is there a possibility to assign only the Synch Stop button to a midi pedal ?

I'm having trouble with some quick breaks that must be played while I'm using both hands on my Roland G70. This goes perfectly well when I play on my Ketron SD1 but on the Roland I have to cross hands to switch off the Synch Stop Button which is nasty.

Like when you activate Both the Synch Start and Stop buttons to play a break. When the break ends and the accomp. is restarted you cannot lift your lefthand to deselect the Synch Stop button. Does anyone use this feature ? Any alternatives ?

Thanks for you comments

------------------
RRRR

#303831 - 10/20/08 05:45 PM Re: Roland G70 Synch Start/Stop function
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I use an FC-7. Do the stop and start with your feet...

Keep on playing with BOTH hands!

#303832 - 10/26/08 03:24 PM Re: Roland G70 Synch Start/Stop function
steve m Offline

Loc: australia
Hi

The FC-7, 8 pin DIN socket on the back of teh G70 can be easily wired for 1 - 7 switches. If you like you could make a small box with a button/switch or a number of switches on it and sit it on your G70. The centre pin of the DIN socket is common, the 7 around the outside are the 7 assignable switches accessed via the G70' menu page. The switches should be normally open.
( switch contact closes only when pressed )

You could even have a couple of switches in a small box on the G70 and the rest as foot switches on the floor !

#303833 - 10/28/08 04:11 PM Re: Roland G70 Synch Start/Stop function
Diki Offline

OTOH, why bother?

You have a $3500 arranger. And you want to cut corners on a $200 pedal?

Trust me, all seven are EASILY used up. Personally, I wish there were TWO FC-7 inputs, and I could still want more!

For me, personally, I lay them out (from L to R)

Var1
Var2
Var3
Var4 (all with Auto Fill on)
Lower 1&2 sustain
Sustain
Leslie Fast/Slow

but I am thinking of moving to more standard sustains, and opening up two slots for other functions - break/mute, or maybe Intro (which can be reprogrammed as Break/Fills) or Piano/Standard (if they ever fix the ACC cutoff glitch).

But essentially, the way I lay them out, I can run the whole arranger section 90% hands free. More playing time!

#303834 - 10/28/08 08:31 PM Re: Roland G70 Synch Start/Stop function
steve m Offline

Loc: australia
Hi Diki

I am currently using a Korg EC-5 pedal with my G70 now, assigned Var1,2,3,4 and End. It was just a case of replacing the 6 pin DIN with an 8 pin DIN instead, and wiring just the first 5 positions. Picked it up cheap on Ebay for $50.

I use the single switch positions for Sustain and Leslie, and a Roland PK-5 controller pedal for bass. ( Running out of feet ! )

Anyhow, the point I was making was just that the G70 has the facility to have 7 assignable switches, but if you only need one or two they are easily accessed via the 8 pin DIN on the back. If someone wanted to just add one extra switch atop the G70, it can be done for a few dollars and five minutes with a soldering iron.

The Roland manual would have you believe that the FC-7 is the only option, which may be more than some users need.

If I could only get my D-beam to work.......

[This message has been edited by steve m (edited 10-28-2008).]

#303835 - 10/31/08 04:38 PM Re: Roland G70 Synch Start/Stop function
Diki Offline

The D-Beam has some pretty useless options, IMO!

Is yours not working, or is it that you just can't think of anything useful for it?

My preferences for it are Chimes, on the SFX button, and ACC On-Off for CTRL (you can program what you want on each button, per UPG).

It makes for a very easy drop to just Bass and Drums for a section, and partly returns the Orchestrator feature much missed from the VA series. That also had "Small Combo' as an intermediary set in between Bass & Drums and Full Ensemble, but at least this is something!

I'll also use the D-Beam for Leslie F/S if I don't have my FC-7 with me...

BTW, are you guys regulars at Roland-Arranger.com? I'm afraid I don't drop in here too often, but I'm at that site on a daily basis, and can help in a more timely fashion, there...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online