SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#302461 - 08/01/06 03:04 PM My first difficulty with the G70, or is it?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Hi everyone,

I am a new G70 user, and have come across a problem which bothers me a great deal. I find that when I change the OTS settings, the arranger chord recognition mode changes from the Piano-Style (that I want) to Intelligent. I have checked the manual and it says that OTS should not memorize/recall the arranger chord recognition mode. Why does it change?

My preference would be to keep this setting on Piano-style globally, but I am willing to modify the OTS memories to make this setting persist from one OTS to the next. However, it seems that the OTS does not record this setting, but restores it to Intelligent.

Am I doing something wrong? How can I get around this? If not, this is a very significant problem for me. BTW, my G70 is loaded with OS version 2.0.0 software.

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards,
Alex

#302462 - 08/03/06 09:51 PM Re: My first difficulty with the G70, or is it?
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Page 78 in the manual is where you can find which parameters are memorizable - unfortunately, chord recognition type is NOT one of them, and yes, the defaulting back to Intelligent is an unfortunate choice, but NOT a bug (a bug is something the manual says should do one thing, and it does another - the manual does not state one way or the other about this, hence not a bug, just poor design!)

#302463 - 08/03/06 10:27 PM Re: My first difficulty with the G70, or is it?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
No,

This is definitely a bug. My complaint is not about having a parameter that should be memorized but is not. It has to do about an undocumented setting being arbitrarily forced on me.

If it does not memorize this parameter, as the manual says, it has no business forcing its setting. And of all things, to "intelligent" - that's single finger. Do they intend it for the kids or for professionals?

Until this problem is fixed, I will not be able to use the keyboard in performances (hence it will be useless to me). Pressing either of the one-touch buttons completely screws up the chord recognition. Perhaps the way some of the players play their left hand, they may not be affected by it. For my style of playing this is detrimental.

My one complaint about the G1000 has to do with the difficulty of changing solo voices - if you don't have them set up in a performance, it's next to impossible to change quickly - a big problem if you are playing requests, or trying to accompany a singer.

Having four OTS memories per style is a major improvement over G1000, and, really is the main reason I had purchased the G70, as most of its other additions are of little benefit to me. It is imperative that Roland recognize the problem with the operation of the OTSes, and fix them.

Incredibly, this same problem was reported over a year ago on the Danish G70 forum, which Roland supposedly monitors. They have issued a number of software releases since that post. Why haven't they fixed this bug? I hope this is not indicative of how seriously Roland takes its users' concern. This used to be a problem with them in the past, and I certainly hope that they have changed in the last 8 years.

I have a call in to Roland USA. I certainly hope that they will not try to make the same argument as you do. In truth, their reply will determine whether I keep my G70 or get rid of it.

REgards,
Alex

#302464 - 08/04/06 12:35 PM Re: My first difficulty with the G70, or is it?
Diki Online   content

The G1000 does the same thing - changes Mode on One Touch. How come this only bothers you now?

The E80 (according to some) finally allows you to memorize this parameter, and hopefully an OS update might allow the G70 to do it too, so there IS hope, but getting all bent out of shape over a feature that works EXACTLY the same as the arranger you already have (and claim to want to go back to) hardly seems fair..........

#302465 - 08/04/06 12:37 PM Re: My first difficulty with the G70, or is it?
Diki Online   content

Now the loss of the Chord Sequencer - that's an altogether different thing!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online