SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#303540 - 02/04/02 04:07 PM VA76 playing technique
Mike H Offline

Loc: Homer AK
Hello-
Are there any VA7 or VA76 players out there who can help with this question.

During the course of a song while using a particular style - is there a way to cue up and play a pre-recorded passage on the sequencer without stopping the arranger?

And - does the tap tempo function on the VA series allow you to change tempos incrementally with a single push of the button?

MH

#303541 - 02/05/02 12:06 AM Re: VA76 playing technique
BlueSuede Offline

One way to "mix" arranger and seqencer is to
1. Make a new style of the sequenced part. (Itīs quite simple to do) You can take the whole part and save it as (for example) "original, basic, major".
2. Make this new style as a part of the style you want to mix it with. You simply have to "offer" one of your variations (for example "original, basic, major") and exchange it to your newly created one.
3. Now you have a new style wich is identical to your old style with one exception; everytime you choose "original, basic, major" you get the sequenced part in the key you choose.

The whole operation can take less than half an hour if you know what to do. (For an expert itīs a matter of minutes!)

Unfortunally I donīt have a VA-series keyboard so I canīt give you any help according to the tap-tempo. On my G-1000 you have to push the tap-tempo twice to get the tempo change. But the are two other buttons "rit" (ritardando)and "acc" (accelerando). A single push on one of these either fastens up or slows down the tempo. You can edit in detail how big the tempo change will be (ex. from 100 bpm to 130 bpm) and how fast it will occur (ex. during 1 measure). I donīt know if the VA have those buttons, but I know it is possible to make this settings on the VA-76. Maybe you can use your D-beam for this?

Regards, Michael

#303542 - 02/05/02 08:28 AM Re: VA76 playing technique
Mike H Offline

Blue Suede - quoting from your post -

"3. Now you have a new style wich is identical to your old style with one exception; everytime you choose "original, basic, major" you get the sequenced part in the key you choose."

My question here - I am under the impression that within a style - no matter what method you use to create the style - that when you change chords during a performance the style accompaniment is transposed for every chord change. Thus - if I had a violin sequence which I triggered while playing an F chord - the sequence would modulate when switching to a D chord. But what if I didn't want a modulation to occur - Lets say I had sequenced an 8 measure melodic passage which I wanted to have play over the top of a series of chords is that what you are referring to?

thanks
MH

#303543 - 02/05/02 12:55 PM Re: VA76 playing technique
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Mike,

You can not do this with Roland. it allows you to switch between the MIDI/GM and Arranger modes, but you can not employ both at once. Yamahas and Technics allow you to do this, but not Rolands, Korgs, Soltons, or GeneralMusic. Your best bet would be to use a stand-alone sequencer, if you really need to do this.

Regards

#303544 - 02/05/02 01:29 PM Re: VA76 playing technique
Mike H Offline

Alex - okay - I understand

so. .. can you set it up to switch back and forth between midi and arranger without delay - sort of like a chain or juke box - with all the same style/voice/drum settings

MH

#303545 - 02/06/02 02:13 PM Re: VA76 playing technique
Alex K Offline

Mike,

I own a G1000, not a VA-76, so there may be some differences there. On the G1000 you have to switch to a GM mode and then press sequencer Start button. There will be a short pause, I believe. Similarly there are two button pushes to start playing a style after the sequencer song is finished.

However, in the General forum George Kaye had mentioned that there are multi-pads on the VA-76. If I understand his comment correctly, he thinks you may assign a vari-phrase soundbite(byte?) to these buttons, and trigger them while playing arranger. Variphrase provides the ability to play audio samples in the desired key AND tempo, without one affecting the other. This is different from the multi-pads on Yamaha and Technics, which trigger MIDI sequences, instead of audio samples, but it may just work for what you want.

I am going to ask George for clarification on these in the General forum.

Regards,
Alex

#303546 - 02/12/02 01:56 AM Re: VA76 playing technique
BlueSuede Offline

Alex is quite right. You canīt easily switch between sequencer/arranger in the same song. But you are able to do it the way I described earlier; make the sequenced part a part of a style. Iīm not sure I understood your question, but the sequenced part is played with all the chord changes and everything. This means that you must not change chords yourself when the sequenced part is playing. But of course You have to trigger one initial chord to get the right tune! If you create your stylepart in C then you have to trigger a C to make it play the way you want. If you trigger an F, it will play correctly with chord changes and everything - but in an other tune!

Regards, Michael

#303547 - 02/14/02 11:52 PM Re: VA76 playing technique
Alex K Offline

Mike, Michael,

here is another take on this. As I said before, I own a G1000, rather thank VA76, but I understand that the style generation mechanism is quite similar in the two.

What I would condsider is the fact that the style supports 8 parts - drum, bass, and 6 melodic tracks. Most of the styles only use 3 or 4 of these available 6. It is quite possible to program the desired riffs into the two unused parts, and configure dynamic arranger function to trigger the extra parts on velocity switch, or perhaps use D-beam on the VA76 (I imagine this should be possible).

Regards,
Alex

#303548 - 02/15/02 10:53 AM Re: VA76 playing technique
Mike H Offline

Alex - howdy

Now - can you set that style part to play independantly of the chord?? - ie - not linked to the chord??

Mike

#303549 - 02/18/02 07:50 AM Re: VA76 playing technique
Alex K Offline

Mike,

I don't think you can disconnect accompaniment from the chord (unless you replace a drum or percussion track, and why would anyone do that?)

However, this is the closest you can get to having multi-pads on a Roland keyboard.

Regards

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online