SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#303315 - 06/06/07 03:33 PM New E80 owner with question and comment
Lanny Offline

Loc: Placitas, NM USA
I now have an E80 in addition to a Technics PR804 piano and KN7000 keyboard.

I have posted a couple of questions on the Roland Arranger forum, but want to post the same question and comments here.

First, I would like confirmation that an SD card can be used with a PCMCIA adaptor. This option IS NOT mentioned in the manual, but someone on the Roland Arranger forum said it worked on an E50. Since Technote sells their styles for the G70 on an SD card, I would be surprised if this did not work.

Second, I really miss the "Glide" function assigned to a footswitch that both my Technics instruments have. Anybody else miss this as much as I do?

#303316 - 06/07/07 12:03 AM Re: New E80 owner with question and comment
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Lanny
Are you sure you can’t assign a glide function to the footswitch, as most keyboards I have seen have this function, although it can be called different names by different manufactures.

Bill

#303317 - 06/07/07 04:42 AM Re: New E80 owner with question and comment
Lanny Offline

Bill,

Pretty sure. I asked a couple of Roland Reps who were certain they would find it, and they ended up calling the US Marketing Manager who also checked. I also asked on the Roland-Arranger forum and have determined that the closest capability is the portamento function. It works, but is much harder to implement since it requires that you play BOTH the beginning and end notes of the "glide", whereas the glide function only requires that you play the end note.

I have been very surprised with the variety of capabilities that are programmed into the E80 that this simple, and most useful function is not there.

#303318 - 06/07/07 10:46 AM Re: New E80 owner with question and comment
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI Lanny,
My manual sez that you need the PCMCIA adapter and that you can use a compact flash or a smart Media Memory cards. they must be 3.3 volt. You can use the 4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512 Mb, and the 1, 2, and 4 GB.
the 2 GB and the 4GB can only be used with Micro Drive.
Smart Media is Toshiba Corp.
Compact flash is San Disk corp.
No mention of being able to use all the sd cards i have for the technics,.
I haven't looked for the glide yet but use the Portamento so far, and aftertouch too.
Enjoy that new E 80.
PS: Today I went to Fry's Electronics and purchased the PCMCIA to Compact flash Adapter for 9.99 and the San Disk Compact Flash EXtreme III that is 1.0 GB and fast at 20MB/Sec =133X for 39.95.
I have lotsa sd cards but nowhere does it say then can be used with this keyboard
Bebop

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 06-07-2007).]

#303319 - 06/07/07 04:50 PM Re: New E80 owner with question and comment
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
I know you can use the SD card with the G70, I saw that. You need an adapter. I don't know about the E80, but would assume it works the same way. The manual for the G70 didn't mention that it would work with it either.

Marilyn

#303320 - 06/07/07 04:52 PM Re: New E80 owner with question and comment
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
You can use after touch to simulate a glide[pitch]..

#303321 - 06/07/07 05:57 PM Re: New E80 owner with question and comment
Lanny Offline

Fran and Marilyn,

Thanks for the responses.

I am glad to know that SD cards work in the G70 and that it's manual does not mention this. That gives me enough confidence to buy the PCMCIA SD adaptor.

Fran, I have played around a little bit with aftertouch but so far find it much harder to control than using a footpedal. I have also tried using the portamento function assigned to a footswitch, but also find it more difficult to achieve pleasing results. Thanks again for the suggestion.

#303322 - 06/07/07 07:12 PM Re: New E80 owner with question and comment
BEBOP Offline

Today I went to Fry's Electronics and purchased the PCMCIA to Compact flash Adapter for 9.99 and the San Disk Compact Flash EXtreme III that is 1.0 GB and fast at 20MB/Sec =133X for 39.95.
I have lotsa sd cards but nowhere does it say they can be used with this keyboard.
Bebop

#303323 - 06/08/07 05:27 AM Re: New E80 owner with question and comment
Lanny Offline

BEBOP,

You will be pleased with your purchase. I have used the same setup in my E80 and in my laptop. The adaptor for Compact Flash is cheaper and exactly the same size as the multi-format adaptors that take SD cards, so I think it is the obvious choice.

I am curious about SD capability because I have ordered the Technote styles which come on a SD card. Although I will probably end up transferring them to a Compact Flash Card, it may be handy to use the SD card directly. I also have a large supply of SD cards for my KN7000.

Let me know if you are as happy with your E80 as I am with mine!

#303324 - 06/08/07 07:00 PM Re: New E80 owner with question and comment
BEBOP Offline

Kindly let me know how this works out for you as I still have all my KN7000 Sd cards, styles and songs on those SD cards and some new unused ones too.
thanks in advance,
Bebop
You might want to email me to get on my E 80 email list as today I received an 8 MG upgrade for the E 80 from Travis, our west coast Roland Sales Manager. I will try to get it installed this weekend.
Bb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online