Hello everyone,

Currently I own the Yamaha DJX keyboard. I have been using it over the past year to create my own songs and to produce demo tapes of dance-oriented material.

I would like to go the next step further in production, as well as achieving a higher-quality sound, and having more flexibility with more styles than those aimed for the dance market.

However, since I write mostly in the dance genre anyway, I have considered going for a CS2X/6X, but I fear that this may be too complicated to use and too much of a pure synth than I am looking for.

So, the PSR-740 would seem like an excellent choice in terms of what I would like to do. But still I have a few questions:

STYLES are very important for me. Picking a style, and running with it gets my musical aspiration flowing. I need LOTS of dance styles, and the DJX serves me very well in that area.

1. Now, if I wanted to use the SAME styles as the DJX in the PSR-740, can I send them over via MIDI or sequencer and record them individually as a re-creation? In other words, I'm assuming I can 'play' the individual parts of the style into the PSR-740 in Custom Style File mode, and with a few minor tweaks, have a virtual DJX style running in the background. Is this sort of thing actually possible?

The ability for me to run BOTH the DJX and the PSR-740 would also be important, since there are many features of the DJX (like cutoff, resonance, specific sounds, ribbon controller, sampler) that just aren't available on the PSR-740.

I understand the PSR-740 has the "TO HOST" port available on the back so you can connect a simple cable from the keyboard to the computer and this serves as a controller without the need for a MIDI interface.

2. If I connnect both the DJX (currently connected via MIDI), -AND- the PSR-740 together (via the 'To Host' port) to my computer sequencer (Cakewalk), can I run the two together simultaneously? How would I go about setting up Cakewalk to do that?

Any thoughts or comments on this post would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan Nicalek
email: ptshpboy@hotmail.com