I've gotten several emails from people here on the forum regarding song recording and how to properly mix the final composition. I'm not sure how everyone here does it, but this is how I do my recordings...

-First thing I do "which I feel is extremely important", is I turn off the voice set function. For those who are unfamiliar with this function, what it does when you select a voice is call up all of the programed setting for that voice such as reverb, chorus, DSP, ect. This is a nice function, but calling up all those settings can get in the way of the mix, and at times you'll run into DSP conflicts as well.

-When it comes to recording a good sounding composition, and getting a good mixdown I feel it's important to record each track "dry" without any effects at all--even without reverb and chorus. I add my effects in the end...., track by track making minute and major adjustments until I feel the mix is right.

-When it comes to things like panning instruments, I tell people that this depends on the type of song you record. Say for example you're recording a song that could be played by lets say a 5 piece band that consists of a drummer, bass player, lead, and rhythm guitar, and a keyboardist. Think of how the band is actually positioned on the stage as you'd see them from the audience. You'll most often find the drums located dead center in the back. the bass and guitar player assume positions on either the left or right, and the keyboardist is off to the left or right as well. We'll say you recording will consist of 5 tracks to match the member of the band. When you start to pan the tracks you need to keep in mind of the actual position of the player as he or she would be on the stage facing the audience.. When you edit the drum track it should stay dead center in the stereo field. The reason is that the drum sets are rather wide, and the position of each part of a drum kit is either in the left, right or center of the stereo field.. That's why you'll see that good keyboards (like our PSR's) have the drum sets recorded in stereo. When you pan the bass and electric guitars you have to think the same way.. In most of the bands I've played in the bass player was at stage left, both guitarists were stage right, and I on keyboards just off set from the bass player at stage left.. So when you edit the panning of these tracks adjust it accordingly to how it would be presented to the audience. Good panning can really make the difference in a song.. I feel it's very important, and having a good understand of where the instruments are placed within the field could be beneficial to anyone.. Another good example is that a friend of mine owns the PSR-740. I kid you not this man has to be one of the best classical artists I have ever heard too. He records all of his own classical compositions using the 740's sequencer. Obviously an orchestra has a strict rule in where players are positioned, his understanding of this is amazing.. His finally compositions after mix down sound so real, and well balanced.

When adding effects in the end use some discrection. I often find that people tend to either drown a track with too much reverb or too much chorus.. When using sounds like distorted guitars be cautious on the DSP return level for that effect... It's important to choose an appropriate effect as well. If you're going to add a chorus effect to your piano be careful not too add too much otherwise you're going to get a "honky tonk". Adding effects to the drums can be interesting. Again be careful with the reverb on this as well.. Adding just a hint of chorus to a drum track produces an a good effect as well. As far as editing paino tracks.. This is really up to you.. If you... Left or right.. which ever one works for you.. Of course if you use a stereo piano sound that'll be a little differnt. If you're using deep synth sounds that include effects that will pan the sound from left to right then you won't need to adjust the panning on this voice. It'll most likely be volume, and maybe light DSP adjustment... Again discretion is the key.. Take your time when doing a mix down.... Also track assignments sometimes help people as well.. Laying your tracks in a specific order will help you in the end when it comes to mixing. When I do my recording, my bass always goes on track 1, rhythm guitar on track 2, Lead guitar on track 3, and keys on track 4. Any other additions get laid out accordingly on the remaining tracks.... Hope this helps...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.