SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#121212 - 02/27/01 09:15 PM Roland KF 90
dogman Offline

Loc: arlington, texas, usa
George K., when you get a chance, please offer a friendly comparison of similarities and differences between the Roland KF 90 and the SK 880. I have a Kurzweill PC88MX, which I have enjoyed very much, but I would like to buy it a companion. I use my keyboard for teaching and performing. Built-in speakers are not a necessity. The one feature of my PC88 which I can't imagine not having with any new keyboard I might get, is the piano-string combo setting. So, I'll probably have to get one of the Kurzweill micro piano units (which I'm assuming has that combo setting) to run thru the new keyboard, unless I end up buying another Kurzweill keyboard. Do you think I would be satisfied with the Roland KF 90, or the SK880, or would you recommend the Kurzweill PC2, or should I spend really big bucks(ug) and get the Kurzweill 2600(88 weighted key version) ? Thanks George. dogman

#121213 - 02/27/01 11:12 PM Re: Roland KF 90
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Dogman,
First of all, and I know the Kurzweil piano/string sound, you will really like the KF90 piano/string sound. It is a really great piano/string. You have the ability to program in the characteristics you like in a piano. Roland gives you paramaters such as cabinet resonance, string resonance as well as other parameters to make the piano "behave" more like a real piano than i've seen on other pianos. I am very familiar with the SK880 as well, and I don't think the sounds in the SK come close to the KF90's. Also, the Roland is much easier to navigate. I've sold both of these keyboards and again it's my opinion the KF90's piano action is far superior, the cosmetics, the built in speakers, which the SK doesn't have and the great combination of features in the KF90, makes this keyboard number 1 in my opinion.
If you can live without a hard disk drive, I think this would be a great choice for your next keyboard.
The KF has a great on board vocal harmonizer, and can load and find midifiles and styles while others are playing. There is a very good 16 track on board sequencer. The touchscreen works very well, although some have objected to the number of screens sometimes needed to change things. Once you've become familiar I don't think this will create a problem.
Any more questions please let me know.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#121214 - 02/28/01 10:13 PM Re: Roland KF 90
dogman Offline

Loc: arlington, texas, usa
Thanks George for the reply. I'm assuming that you feel I should disregard the PC2 and the 88 weighted-key 2600, since you didn't mention them in your response. Also, that you feel that I will like the KF 90's piano/string setting so well that I will forget about the MicroPiano unit ? I didn't mention that I also have a Korg i40m. Thank you George for your fountain of wisdom. dogman.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online