SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#198042 - 02/03/01 04:19 AM listening styles on PC?
Joseluis Offline

Loc: Spain
Hello, I am novice in this forum. I would like to listen styles made for differents keyboards on my PC. Do you know what software I need for it, and if is it on the net?

#198043 - 02/03/01 06:18 AM Re: listening styles on PC?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
There are several programs available that can do this. Visual Styler is a program that allows you to convert styles from one PSR keyboard to another and also allows you to mix the variations of 2 different Yamaha styles as well as other light editing. It allows you to hear the styles as well. If I remember correctly I downloaded it from the egroups PSR styles site ( It's been awhile ). Also, any computer midi sequencer should allow you to listen to these styles ( at least the PSR styles anyway). Massiva is a freeware midi sequencer that's available on the shareware music machine. It's a pretty good program for freeware. I just tested a user style in it before responding to this post and it worked fine. You simply load the style as " all files" and it loads and plays. I also have Yamaha xg works software which plays and stores auto accomps.
Al M.

#198044 - 02/03/01 07:44 AM Re: listening styles on PC?
Dnj Offline

Bluezplayer,

can you post the link to the freeware program that alows you to hear styles on your p/c?

thanx

donny

#198045 - 02/03/01 04:53 PM Re: listening styles on PC?
Bluezplayer Offline

The Url for Massiva freeware sequencer is: http://home.c2i.net/jaase/massiva.htm
the Url for visual styler is: http://www.thegrid.net/clickhere/MojoFlux
If you want to hear PSR styles like they sound on a real arranger board ( the programs above will only play them in the way they were recorded cmaj7th for most )
the software I use is Yamaha xg works3 software sequencer. I paid about 80 bucks for it. You can use it's internal styles which are mostly the same styles as on the PSR730 or 8000
or you can add any other factory Yamaha or PSR made user styles and even a few from the net converted for PSR from other manufacturers ( they don't all work though ) simply by taking a style file from your comps hard drive and ionserting it into one of the software's style folders- eg. 16beat, 8beat , etc . Even the 4 variation styles from the 740 and 9000 load correctly. The beauty of this software is that you can arrange an entire auto accomp piece ( chord changes, intro's, main sections, fills etc ) via step recording plus step record your melodies as wellwithout an external midi keyboard. A shareware version is available on Yamaha's xg site and the Sonic Spot as well.
Good luck guys
Al M

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 02-03-2001).]

#198046 - 02/03/01 05:03 PM Re: listening styles on PC?
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Bluesplayer,

Thanks for the links . . . I'm on my way to download.

Steve

#198047 - 02/05/01 02:40 PM Re: listening styles on PC?
Joseluis Offline

Loc: Spain
thank you for your help. Yes, a vmidi may read and listen yamaya styles if those are .sty files. But I cannot listen styles from Technics, because ther are not .sty files...

#198048 - 02/06/01 04:36 AM Re: listening styles on PC?
Bluezplayer Offline

Yes, this is true about Technics or other non ".sty" styles. You can still listen to the many different manufacturers styles (including Technics, Roland , Solton, Korg and of course all of the modern Yamahas) ) that have been converted to Yamaha ".sty" files. There is a wonderful E / yahoo groups site which has literally thousands of converted styles. This site as well as several other style sites are listed on Jorgen Sorenson's outstanding PSR740 website. The URL is http://home7.inet.tele.dk/js/musik/740pages/link740.htm
Good Luck
Al

#198049 - 02/26/01 01:55 PM Re: listening styles on PC?
arkel Offline

Loc: Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Hello Bluezplayer,
I was very interested by your post about the XG works software. I own the Hi-Play software real-time arranger, and lots of Yamaha *.sty files that I would like to use also in step-time mode, BIAB like.
I went to the Yamaha site and downloaded the demo version of the software. Unfortunately I have several problems with it:
1) the Help menu item does not do anything. There are several *.hlp files about the 'plugins' but not about the main software
2) I did download a separate manual in pdf format but it does not seem up-to-date. I don't find any reference to the arranger functions in it.
3) it seems there aren't any demo files using the chords/styles window.
Is the purchased version more complete ?
maybe you can help me ?
thanks in advance,
Bernard

#198050 - 02/27/01 10:51 AM Re: listening styles on PC?
Bluezplayer Offline

Hi,
I don't have any "demos" in the registered version either. I think there might be one or two, but if there is, I have never used them. To use the " arranger " function you enter the "edit" toolbar, and click on
" Create style Block ". There you will find a menu with the various genres of styles on the top. Click into one of those and you will find several styles. The menu will then ask you for the length of style block you wish to create. For simplicity, rather than to go through this process over and over, I choose one style variation for the entire piece and then insert the changes and variations from the main sequencer page itself ( by clicking where I want to enter the variation in the " s " block on the bottom. There is no way that I am aware of to use the function in realtime however, so all style work will be in a "step mode ". Still there are tools that allow you to sample the style or a piece of it ( or variation ) before entering it. You must then go back to the edit menu and insert chord blocks in a similar manner, otherwise you will hear only the drums and percussion parts playing. If you like the style variations you have created, there is a function that allows you to convert all or
some of the tracks to midi tracks by channel . You can then edit each track as you desire. One thing to note. You can use ANY properly converted Yamaha style file in this software. The style files that come internally are the 2 variation type and are similar if not exact to those used on the PPSR 730 and 8000. The software itself uses the extension .stx for it's internal files, but .sty files work in it just as well. ( You don't have to change the extension ). You simply take any file(s) you have and go into the software's folders, find the folder styles, and find the subfolder with the style type you want to insert your external styles into. even 4 variation style types work properly, and all the variations show up when you go to use the style. There are hundreds if not thousands of Yamaha styles and other user and manufacturers styles such as Technics , Solton, Roland etc... converted to Yamaha .sty files available on the net. Hope this helps. Please feel free to email me or reply to this post if you need more info.
AJ M

#198051 - 02/27/01 12:17 PM Re: listening styles on PC?
Vquestor Offline

Do those PSR styles work with the
Yamaha QY-22,QY-70, and QY-100?
thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online