SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#145987 - 12/07/00 10:40 PM Mackie powered speakers : Love 'em, love 'em!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've had my Mackies for about a month now, and they are positivly the best out there. I've been reading about how everyone wants a lighter, more portable system for small gigs, and I USED to think that way till I got these. Frankly - I'm spoiled, and just don't WANT to listen to any other options. Here's the deal with how I break up my system for different size setups:
I use a pair of 450's, my keyboard, and a three space rack bag (loaded with a Toa mixer, Sony minidisk, & Digitech harmonizer)
I have a USS IQ1000 (x-stand) and I hang the rack bag from the front two arms, placing all my controls directly UNDER my hands. I never have to turn my head to make adjustments or load disks for breaks of backups. I pre-recorded about 10 hours of tunes with ME playing back up and singing harmony onto MD's - now I can "front" the digital band with guitar, clarinet, flute or piano, whatever I want and the sound is the same as if I played it with ME as a sideman.
I also have my wireless mic reciever in the pocket of the rack, so in three spaces, I have FOUR pieces of gear that are essential to my show.
** For a med to large venue - I use it all and it's kicks serious butt.
** For a smaller venue - I route the mixer outputs directly INTO my keyboard's sound system (internal) and then I have a great "in my face" monitor that contains the full mix of vocals, keyboard and MD - all in stereo. I ten run a single cord OUT of the keyboard INTO one Mackie on the floor, just to add fullness. This is not a bad alternitive, and it's still easy to cart around in one trip with a good dolly. I use a Rock & Roller cart - very versitle.
** For nursing homes, cocktail hours etc.... I just use the rack bag going INTO the keyboard and I have plenty of control and quality at a very reasonable volume level.
This means - I never have to re-load the car to accomodate each particular gig, an I always have the right gear with me. With one Mackie......even if you do get a surprise attack of crazies, and have to crank it up - it'll do the deed. The best part of the system is having all the PA and FX controls right at my hands. This is the tiniest, most efficieant use of space that I can come up with. I don't take up any more room tnan a speaker at a podium. It's very important when playing the "outside" curcuit, like I do. I rarely have a real stage, and space is ALWAYS at a premium. I always stand for my shows - it makes a better presentation, it's easier to sing, and I have more elbow room when I pick up the guitar too - HOWEVER - for a "leGit" type look, the Mackie is JUST the right height to sit on if that is the look I'm after. I don't like to sit....It takes me OUT of the control factor. I like to be the ring leader and it's much easier if I can have a little freedom of movement.
I only use two footpedals (a dual pedal)
One for sustain, one for Harmonixer ON/OFF.
That's the only odd part - the balancing act on the left foot. I wear out the soles of my right shoes soooo much faster than the left. Anyone else have this problem?

#145988 - 12/07/00 10:58 PM Re: Mackie powered speakers : Love 'em, love 'em!
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
Uncle Dave,

Very clever setup. By the way, which brand of rack bag do you use? How long does a rack bag last (since it has to stand its hanging weight on the keyboard stand)?

Thanks,

Paul Ip
from Texas

#145989 - 12/08/00 06:29 AM Re: Mackie powered speakers : Love 'em, love 'em!
Dnj Offline

hey Dave,
I knew you would love those Mackies 450's.
I 've been kicking butt for over a year with mine on Big Gigs. MACKIES 450's RULE!! :>)Cleanest sound I have ever heard so far.

Donny

#145990 - 12/08/00 06:51 AM Re: Mackie powered speakers : Love 'em, love 'em!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Hi Dave, Donny and Paul,
got off the phone yesterday with a friend at Yamaha and he informed me of new products I would be seing at the Winter NAMM show. One of the more exciting products was Yamaha's version of the Mackie powered speaker. The Yamaha has a 15" speaker and a 2" compression driver, along with a biamped 400 watt power system. The cabinet is like the Mackie design and two EQ controls are on the back. According to my source, Yamaha compared for their staff the Mackie 450 along with a JBL Powered EON side by side with the new Yamaha, and the Yamaha sounded even better. The list price will be anounced at $849.00 which puts it $50.00 less than Mackies list price. I don't know the weight, but I would think it would be about the same. Shipment is scheduled for January.
I just thought I'd pass this on to the group because there has been a lot of questions lately regarding good keyboard amps currently available and this I'm sure will be another great one.
George Kaye
PS Paul, your box is on the way to you!
(Retired 2021)

#145991 - 12/08/00 08:23 AM Re: Mackie powered speakers : Love 'em, love 'em!
Dnj Offline

George, Thanx for the info on new products. To be better then the Mackies would be something to be seen and heard, but it's nice to know other manufacturers are taking note and making a go at new speaker technology.
let us know if you hear any more good stuff for the NAMM Show too.

take care

Donny

#145992 - 12/08/00 08:27 AM Re: Mackie powered speakers : Love 'em, love 'em!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Ain't it GREAT, George. The Japanese are copying a U.S. company again. May be the first time since the 50's.
DonM

#145993 - 12/08/00 09:33 AM Re: Mackie powered speakers : Love 'em, love 'em!
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
George,

Did Yamaha compare their new bi-amped speaker with the JBL EON 15P or with the new EON G2? I've heard good things about the G2 (mostly from DJ's), so I'm wondering if the SRM450, the G2, or maybe Yamaha's new speaker will be better . . . any light would be appreciated. thanks.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online